2016 Rio: Volleyball | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Volleyball

Poice

Final Flight
I think that poor attendance is caused by vacation time and many people are on holidays in other countries or by the Baltic sea. Too bad we don't have big enough arena on northern Poland.

alebi

Medalist
I don't know... maybe in Sopot or Gdansk there are proper venues... I wonder why not there
I've also read that tickets are really expensive this time. I'm really sorry because Polish fans are always a pleasure to watch but if even they are missing, maybe World League (one month before Olympic games!) need to change something.

At the end Italy lost many opportunities... Zaytsev was very humble and honest to say that he has been the one to do the crucial errors. Brazil - France has been a great battle and.... yes... Brazil can only lost the gold medal (now and in Rio)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Serbia won! :hap10: That's some consolation after not qualifying to Rio. And also, I think Brasil isn't clear favourite.... I wouldn't be suprised if they would be elimanated before final :p

alebi

Medalist
Brazil still the usual Brazil :p
When they're the clear favourite... they lose. And when they can't face the opponent, in crucial matches, Bruno usually gets totally nervous and confused. I adore him, but it's always the same story (it happened so many times during the last 2 years in Modena). Do you remember London final? I still can't believe they lost it :palmf: And now I can't imagine the pressure they'll feel in Rio, with this reputation of losers...

But I'm so happy for Serbia (and Nik Grbic... OMG I'm still fangirling :laugh: ). They didn't play so well with Italy (no comment about my team please) and they played also without bomber Atanasijevic. CONGRATS!! :clap:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Looking forward to the tourney, but so weird that Serbia isn't competing after just decisively beating Brazil. Nice to see Canada competing too after 24 years absence - although they're in the group of death and will have to face USA (first up), Brazil, Italy and France... eek. They did have a nice qualifier tournament almost beating Iran and Poland, so you never know. ;)

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
The men's tournament begins!!! :hap93:

My predictions: Brazil, Russia and France (in random order) are the favourites, then we have a group with USA, Italy and Poland who will have to be perfect if they want to win a medal. Then we have tricky teams like Iran, Argentina and Canada.

Let's begin with an amazing Italy - France! I hope my team has recovered from the very bad shape they had during world league finals. On the other hand I like France team, I especially like their attitude and their team's spirit... but today I don't want them to win :laugh:

Then we have a list of "easy" matches (maybe USA can have a little hard time with Canada if even they are the same watched during World League finals) till Argentina - Iran, another interesting match between two teams at the same level.

First 4 teams will go to quarter finals, 1st vs 4th while the other two matches will be drawn (so we can have 2nd vs 2nd and not 2nd vs 3rd)

edit: sending good vibes to the guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nour_MVw-3M

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
And Italy won 3-0 with France! Alebi, you should believe more in them! Poland as planned 3-0 with Egypt :)

alebi

Medalist
I couldn't believe my eyes!! I thought I was dreaming because of lack of sleep :laugh:

That's only the beginning but I hope the team will keep this intensity every match! And Giannelli, who will turn only 20 tomorrow, was the real boss on the court!! :yahoo:

First day results:

POOL A
Italy - France 3 - 0
Brazil - Mexico 3 - 1 (unbelievable what tension can do... Brasil losing first set... to Mexico!!)
USA - Canada 0 - 3 (I said Canada could be a tricky team... but even winning in only three sets... !!!!)

STANDINGS
Italy, Canada, Brazil 3 points
Mexico, USA, France 0 points

POOL B
Poland - Egypt 3 - 0 (easy-peasy :p )
Russia - Cuba 3 - 1
Argentina - Iran 3 - 0 (I didn't expect Argentina winning in only 3 sets, but watching the result it seems that first two sets were very intense)

STANDINGS
Poland, Argentina, Russia 3 points
Cuba, Egypt, Iran 0 points

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Wow, Canada! That's what you call upset! You have good eye, alebi ;) Iran is as always unpredictable. I predict they will win either with Poland or Russia, or both :drama:

alebi

Medalist
Honestly Iran seemed stronger a few years ago, when they were coached by Velasco. But Velasco is a great maestro, he demands discipline, attention, intensity, confidence... I still remember when he was coaching Italy during the 90s, he wanted to see the eye of the tiger every match. So I'm not even so surprised to see Argentina finally expressing its strength. Great Velasco! He'll be loved forever here. :bow:

yude

Record Breaker
Brazil - Mexico 3 - 1 (unbelievable what tension can do... Brasil losing first set... to Mexico!!)
USA - Canada 0 - 3 (I said Canada could be a tricky team... but even winning in only three sets... !!!!)

:shocked:

Thank you very much for your summary:hap10:

alebi

Medalist
:shocked:

Thank you very much for your summary:hap10:

I could not watch the other matches yesterday (because there were too many competitions with Italians and I was already going crazy zapping :laugh: ) but I've read that USA, again, did too many errors... something like 28! That's more than a whole set given away...
About Brazil, I've read that both Lucas and Mauricio (their MBs) are injured and next match is with Canada... :roll9:

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
I respect every sport... but beach volleyball is really not my cup of tea :noshake:

Today's matches:

POOL A
France - Mexico (not the first match of the day for France, so maybe they are more awake today :laugh: )
Italy - USA (the redemption match for USA or the "keep the confidence" for Italy? If USA lose again, they'll risk the qualification)
Brazil - Canada (very interesting... Brazil is having some injuries and Canada is on fire)

POOL B
Russia - Argentina (another interesting match, let's see if Argentina has really grown up)
Poland - Iran (delicate match for Poland, Iran need a redemption even if the situation is not as desperate as USA)
Cuba - Egypt

edit: post number 1000 :eeking: :cheer: :laugh:

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
Argentina beat Russia 3 - 1!! Great blocking, they touched almost every ball! Russian seemed so slacker...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Maybe Argentina will be a dark horse of this tournament?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
wow... talking about booing yulia efimova yesterday... brazilians are now booing canadian volleball players when they get up to serve... that's so bad... :(

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
wow... talking about booing yulia efimova yesterday... brazilians are now booing canadian volleball players when they get up to serve... that's so bad... :(

Brazilians do that in other disciplines too. To different countries, so don't think it's about Canada or something. They really do care about Volleyball.

I knew Iran will be tough opponent for Poland! But we could win earlier :angry1: Brazil won with Canada, France has won with Mexico and Italy with USA. I knew Italy will do well! :hap10: But I guess two losses form USA in a row is a bit suprising..... And congrats to Egypt for winining with Cuba! :clap:

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
Maybe Argentina will be a dark horse of this tournament?

definitely! Right now, I would like to avoid Argentina...
My streaming froze continuously during second set (the one won by Russia) but I had the impression that when Russia force the serve, Argentina has some reception problems. But, again, great blocking job... and Lima is an amazing young OPP! Very promising.
On the other hand, Russia is not new to slow start and since this group is "easier" they don't risk the qualification... and then, in a "in or out" match, we'll understand if Russia has joked or is completely out of shape.

Oh well... it's pretty usual in Volleyball (almost everywhere, not only in Brazil), they're only trying to make an opponent lose his concentration, no matter who's serving, so don't get upset :)

POOL A:
France - Mexico 3 - 0
Brazil - Canada 3 - 1 (again... first set lost because of too many mistakes but then the Brazil we all know)
Italy - USA 3 - 1
A very intense match, Italy still too depending on its spikers because "not so good" reception doesn't allow a more variety in the middle... and we also lost captain Birarelli for an injury :( Let's hope it's not so serious but images were worrisome. I had the honest impression that Italy was in control of game but when we get 3-4 points ahead we always make stupid mistakes and reopen the set... That's something to avoid when things will get serious. On USA side, I'm still more persuaded that two players in that team are not as great as many people think.

Standings:
Italy, Brazil 6 points
Canada, France 3 points
USA, Mexico 0 points

POOL B:
Russia - Argentina 1 - 3
Poland - Iran 3 - 2
Cuba - Egypt 0 - 3 (I think that's the first African win in Olympics... Well... I think everybody knows the bad thing that "happened" to 4 Cuban starting players...)

Standings:
Argentina 6 points
Poland 5 points
Russia, Egypt 3 points
Iran 1 point
Cuba 0 points

Last edited: