2016 Rio: Volleyball | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Volleyball

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Poland plays with Argentina today. It's going to be tough. France - Canada should be interesting match, too.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I cannot believe how well Poland played against Argentina! Our best match in many, many weeks! :hap93: USA won with Brazil, wow! It's getting interesting in Group A.

alebi

Medalist
Ok, I took a rest day because today starts T&F :yahoo:(and Italy played during the night and it was pretty easy with Mexico) so I'll only report the results.

POOL A:
Canada - France 0 - 3
Italy - Mexico 3 - 0
Brazil - USA 1 - 3

Standings:
Italy 9 points
France, Brazil 6 points
Canada, USA 3 points
Mexico 0

Important "3 points" wins by France and USA. But USA is still the 5th team because of worse set ratio than Canada.

POOL B:

Iran - Cuba 3 - 0
Russia - Egypt 3 - 0
Poland - Argentina 3 - 0 (third set 37 - 35 :eek: )

Standings:
Poland 8 points
Russia, Argentina 6 points
Iran 4 points
Egypt 3 points
Cuba 0

Amazing clear victory by Poland with a tough Argentina. I'm glad they played so good cathlen!

sneakers

Match Penalty
Cant believe Russian beach volleyball are far doing better than the mens indoor :shocked:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Amazing clear victory by Poland with a tough Argentina. I'm glad they played so good cathlen!

Well, third set wasn't clear at all. It was soooo intense! Both sides kept their heads cool hence this astronomical result :) Argentina is a tough cookie, but so is Poland :biggrin: I think both Italy and Poland already qualified to QF. We can celebrate :hap10:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Cant believe Russian beach volleyball are far doing better than the mens indoor :shocked:

It's just Group stage. It doesn't really matter which place you are. It's important to win in knock out stage. And that's before us yet:)

alebi

Medalist
I think both Italy and Poland already qualified to QF. We can celebrate :hap10:

I don't know... we have to play Canada and Brazil. If they both win by 3 points... oh well... I want to enjoy the matches without maths in mind :laugh:

Russia is already qualified and then they will get serious.... I'm not so surprised by their slow start

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I don't know... we have to play Canada and Brazil. If they both win by 3 points... oh well... I want to enjoy the matches without maths in mind :laugh:
But 4 teams advance, so with 9 points Italy has guaranteed QF even if they lost to Canada and Brazil, no?

EDIT: I checked the news and everywhere it's stated that Azzurri after demolishing Mexico has advanced. So celebrate! :hb:

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
But 4 teams advance, so with 9 points Italy has guaranteed QF even if they lost to Canada and Brazil, no?

EDIT: I checked the news and everywhere it's stated that Azzurri after demolishing Mexico has advanced. So celebrate! :hb:

I was thinking: if Italy clearly lost every match we stay at 9 points. Brazil goes to 9 and Canada to 6.
Canada has also Mexico and so they'll get to 9 points too....
USA has France and Mexico and if they win both matches by 3 points they get 9 points too...

So 4 teams at 9 points and France at 6 points... but then we have the final match Brazil - France..... what if France wins and goes to 9 points too????????? :eekn:

Watching FIVB standings it seems that set ratio is more important than score ratio.... so I think everything is still open.... Italy needs at least 1 more point...

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I was thinking: if Italy clearly lost every match we stay at 9 points. Brazil goes to 9 and Canada to 6.
Canada has also Mexico and so they'll get to 9 points too....
USA has France and Mexico and if they win both matches by 3 points they get 9 points too...

So 4 teams at 9 points and France at 6 points... but then we have the final match Brazil - France..... what if France wins and goes to 9 points too????????? :eekn:

Watching FIVB standings it seems that set ratio is more important than score ratio.... so I think everything is still open.... Italy needs at least 1 more point...

You're actually right! There are 15 matches, so that makes 45 points. Dividing it by 9 and you have 5 teams! :eeking: But I think you don't even have to win point, you just need to win one 1 set with Brazil and one with Canada and it should be okay. Well, I guess I shouldn't celebrate yet, too...

sneakers

Match Penalty
Russian beach volleyball, the 2 men duo and the lone women duo representatives are all in quarterfinals. :agree:
this has been a very good competition for them for their beach volleyball, one of the men duo beat a dutch and brazilian duo.

I cant say the same for the indoor, they almost lost to Poland :hopelessness:
they will be lucky if they can win bronze here, they are struglling and not as dominant as London 2012.

alebi

Medalist
I'm more worried about Italy's game... That's unbelievable good... Where is the rip-off? :laugh:

Situation in group A now is insane!!! I'll update later but France or Brazil are risking the qualification!!! :eeking:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Yeah, apart from Italy, Group A is totally inconsistent. I think Canada should be very proud of their team. Group B I think Argentina, Russia, Poland and Iran should qualify without problems.

sneakers

Match Penalty
Yeah, apart from Italy, Group A is totally inconsistent. I think Canada should be very proud of their team. Group B I think Argentina, Russia, Poland and Iran should qualify without problems.

why was the stacking so uneven for Group A and Group B
Group B has so much breathing ground while Group A is a death line up for early elimination.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
why was the stacking so uneven for Group A and Group B
Group B has so much breathing ground while Group A is a death line up for early elimination.

It's probably because there was an afair with Cuba team. Normally they are stronger team, not such a point givers. Egypt was expected to be weaker. And that is actually the only difference, Group A has one weaker team too: Mexico. If there weren't rules about how there must be teams evenly from all continents, the group stage would be better. But the rules make it that we have Egypt and Mexico, but not Serbia :disapp:

sneakers

Match Penalty
It's probably because there was an afair with Cuba team. Normally they are stronger team, not such a point givers. Egypt was expected to be weaker. And that is actually the only difference, Group A has one weaker team too: Mexico. If there weren't rules about how there must be teams evenly from all continents, the group stage would be better. But the rules make it that we have Egypt and Mexico, but not Serbia :disapp:

ah yes, the continental quota ruined it. forgot about it :bang:

alebi

Medalist
Groups were formed following world standings and not even the latest one (in women's groups the result was even more dramatic)

alebi

Medalist
So... the situation is:

GROUP A

USA - France 3 - 1
Canada - Mexico 3 - 0
Brazil - Italy 1 - 3
(we lost first set when we were ahead 23-21... then I thought "As usual we can't close easily... That's a bad sign" But fortunately the team fought since the beginning of second set and this time, when we lost a new consistent advantage with stupid errors, we were able to close the set. In the last one Brazil really gave up. They must not have this attitude, they seems Italy when we were playing poorly. And I really hate this attitude! You can lose but you have to play till the end, like USA did in the previous match.)

Standings:

Italy 12 points
France, Canada, Brazil, USA 6 points
Mexico 0 points

Now the situation is insane because USA will beat Mexico and is safe (despite a poor start), while France and Brazil will play to survive. BUT before FRA - BRA, Italy will play with Canada and this can be crucial for the other two teams because if Italy lose with any result, only one between FRA and BRA will qualify. If Italy wins we will eliminate Canada and then Brazil and France will play only for the placement.

edit: if Canada loses, BRA and FRA, even losing, need to do one more set than Canada. Maybe France even losing with same sets as Canada has already a better points ratio.

GROUP B

Iran - Egypt 3 - 0
Argentina - Cuba 3 - 0
Poland - Russia 2 - 3

Standings:

Argentina, Poland 9 points
Russia 8 points
Iran 7 points
Egypt 3 points
Cuba 0 points

Next matches, Argentina and Poland will have easy wins so they'll end up with same points. Honestly I'm still not sure which is the discriminating factor, watching FIVB standings, they put Argentina at first because of better set ratio. I remind you that 1st team will fight with 4th but second and third will be drawn

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well. I don't think the maths will be tricky to do now. :) sure, Italy rested some great players but Canada still needed to win it. Wow. A shocker.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
We're playing with USA :( Tough, tough, tough.... Argentina - Brazil will be super exciting for the audience :popcorn: