2016 Rio: Track and Field | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Track and Field

alebi

Medalist
Here is the thread for the fanatics like me :laugh:

The QUEEN OF THE SPORT deserves one

Here's a provisional list of qualified athletes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_–_Qualification
Even if an athlete had got the minimum, many countries are still waiting for national trials, so this is not a definitive list.

However the first 8 relays are already qualified thanks to last year IAAF Worlds Relays competition (they had to enter the final at that competition). The remaining 8 teams can still qualify till July 12. IAAF will take their two best times and who has the best average will go to Olympics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I can't wait for Track and Fields :)

It is also a discipline in which Polish athletes have a chance for the greatest success. Poland was 6th in the medal standings in Beijing (Worlds) with 8 medals - 3 golds.

Unfortunately Polish competitors tend to underachieve in Summer Olympics in 21th century but hopefully this time it will be different.

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
I can't wait for Track and Fields :)

It is also a discipline in which Polish athletes have a chance for the greatest success. Poland was 6th in the medal standings in Beijing (Worlds) with 8 medals - 3 golds.

Unfortunately Polish competitors tend to underachieve in Summer Olympics in 21th century but hopefully this time it will be different.

OH YES! You have Majewski who is a beast when he smells Olympics :biggrin: And you also have "the little" Bukowiecki who's one of the most exciting youngster out there!!
I can't even imagine two different hammer golds than Fajdek and Wlodarczkyk and I also hope that Adam Sczoczt, who in my point of view is one of the most clever 800m runner, will get an Olympic medal.

Sorry, I tried to remember their names so I'm sure I haven't get anyone right, but, for an Italian, Polish surname are pretty impossible to write :p And Sczoczt/Szcozct/Szoczt or what the bell is, is my "favourite" :laugh:

My favourite events are 110hs, 800m and High Jump, but I also love Triple Jump, Pole Vault, Shot Put, 400m/400hs and Decathlon (oh well, I love EVERYTHING from T&F).

The best race in London has been the male 800m, last year at Worlds the male 400m. But the last Worlds has been the best ever in general, that's why I'm SOOOOOOOO excited about this year Olympics :love:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Sorry, I tried to remember their names so I'm sure I haven't get anyone right, but, for an Italian, Polish surname are pretty impossible to write :p And Sczoczt/Szcozct/Szoczt or what the bell is, is my "favourite" :laugh:

It's Adam Kszczot :biggrin: "Szcz" (eng. somethig like "shch") is always very hard to pronounce for foreigners, so don't be hard on yourself :)

alebi

Medalist
It's Adam Kszczot :biggrin: "Szcz" (eng. somethig like "shch") is always very hard to pronounce for foreigners, so don't be hard on yourself :)

The funny thing is that I find it way easier to pronounce than write. During indoor Worlds at Sopot, at least, I had the opportunity to hear the right pronunciation and I was like "Oh, it's not that impossible!" but that sequence of "k", "s", "z" and "c" when I try to write his name... OMG! :eeking:

BTW, great athlete indeed! During a race, he's always at the right place and his final meters are lethal. I already told you how much I love 800m and he was one of the few runners that deserves a world medal the most. I've been really happy last here when he finally got it! Congrats Adam!!!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
LOL. I get that you're very excited about the upcoming summer Olympics in Rio. :laugh:

alebi

Medalist
Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'm a so lazy sport fan except my love for figure skating, so can't remember athletes' name very well, but just love watching them compete. They give me a vicarious satisfaction by showing their superior physical activities. If they have a great story like overcoming all hardship they endure financially or physically, I tend to be deeply moved by it.

Since the Olympic will take place in the Southern Hemisphere, a lot of people in the rest of the world have to rely on coffee or beer. :biggrin:

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
I'm a so lazy sport fan except figure skating, so can't remember athletics' name very well, but just love watching them compete. They give me a vicarious satisfaction by showing their superior physical activities. If they have a great story like overcoming all hardship they endure financially or physically, I tend to be deeply moved by it.

The beauty of this sport is that every year you watch new amazing youngsters coming from all over the World, so maybe it's a bit more difficult to follow. But if you like this kind of stories, you should search for Aries Merritt. His strength and devotion are SO INSPIRING! I really hope he'll join the USA team :) BTW he'll always be remembered as one of the most beautiful example in sport.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The beauty of this sport is that every year you watch new amazing youngsters coming from all over the World, so maybe it's a bit more difficult to follow. But if you like this kind of stories, you should search for Aries Merritt. His strength and devotion are SO INSPIRING! I really hope he'll join the USA team :) BTW he'll always be remembered as one of the most beautiful example in sport.

Thanks for the suggestion. I immediately googled his name and he seems to have a splendid career.

alebi

Medalist
Thanks for the suggestion. I immediately googled his name and he seems to have a splendid career.

Yes... Just imagine: you're no doubt the best hurdler, the Olympic champion and few weeks later the new record holder. Than suddenly your body doesn't respond as usual.... And you find you have a terrible ill. But you keep it secret because you want to go on, you want to run at worlds, you want to still live as an athlete. Till you can't postpone the transplant. And now he's here again, trying to gain a second chance, because you must never give up! Aries we all love you :clap:

alebi

Medalist

BARSHIIIIIM!!!!! :love:
Here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndtuvQgkbyk

Cathlen, do you know why he only tried two attempts at 2.45? If you have watched it, were they so bad?

IMHO, I want Barshim to break the Soto's record (if someone has to do...), because I LOVE his technique, he's so light, he seems a feather. And now that he's back to his old tech, he's jumping high and easy again!! WOW!!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
BARSHIIIIIM!!!!! :love:
Here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndtuvQgkbyk

Cathlen, do you know why he only tried two attempts at 2.45? If you have watched it, were they so bad?

IMHO, I want Barshim to break the Soto's record (if someone has to do...), because I LOVE his technique, he's so light, he seems a feather. And now that he's back to his old tech, he's jumping high and easy again!! WOW!!

They didn't say why he stopped after second attempt. My guess is that he was maybe a little tired. He cleared 2.38 at third attempt and overall he jumped ten times, so he might have little strength left.

His 2.45 attempts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbAGjWkrqqE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV47zJm04HY

I was seeing it from a totally different point of view and the second attempt looked quite good for me. I think he might break the record in the future :hap10: And you're right about his jumping being light and easy! All the more effect :) We're having Jumping Festival every year, he was already here three years ago and I hope he will come back to us. Him being coached by a Pole is helping a lot, since he train in Poland often :biggrin:

alebi

Medalist
They didn't say why he stopped after second attempt. My guess is that he was maybe a little tired. He cleared 2.38 at third attempt and overall he jumped ten times, so he might have little strength left.

His 2.45 attempts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbAGjWkrqqE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV47zJm04HY

I was seeing it from a totally different point of view and the second attempt looked quite good for me. I think he might break the record in the future :hap10: And you're right about his jumping being light and easy! All the more effect :) We're having Jumping Festival every year, he was already here three years ago and I hope he will come back to us. Him being coached by a Pole is helping a lot, since he train in Poland often :biggrin:

Thank you for the videos!! :thank:

Ten jumps are a lot, maybe he entered very soon. I'm sure, now that he's gaining confidence again, he'll start jumping at higher measures and so he'll have more strength for the record attempts.
I knew he's trained by a Polish men, you're so lucky to see him so often :)
A jumping Festival is a great idea! I know, during the indoor season, there's the Moravian tour dedicated only to high jumps and it's so fun because every athlete jumps with his music in the background. In Italy there is nothing similar, even if we have always had a bunch of decent high jumpers :(

alebi

Medalist
Sanya Richards didn't finished the 400 heat and announces her retirement... sigh.... second retirement today that broke my heart

and I've also read about a not perfect condition of Allyson Felix.....

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Europeans starts today. Hope there will be some great results :cheer: