2016 Rio: Track and Field | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Track and Field

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
The march of Africans winning in long distances has started! (Except maybe Mo Farah) :)

pohatta

On the Ice
Amazing high jumping in heptathlon, two women clearing 198.

I'm surprised that Johnson-Thompson broke the British record. There are about 70 women in the world who jumped 200 or more, and none of them are Brits. Or French either, the French record is only 197.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Carter won Gold over Valerie Adams in Shot Put with new PB. What a suprise! Most Poles has qualified further, so I'm satisfied :hap10:

alebi

Medalist
Weather really influenced this first day (especially high humidity). Spints and jumps were below expectations, on the other hand fresh air gives relief to long distance runners so it was the ideal situation for Ayana, who really wanted this WR. The first 4 places were all amazing (something like the 1st, 3th, 4th and 5th all time best). This was definitely the best 10000 in the history!

KJT and Thiam were amazing in high jump hept. Unfortunately KJT will NOT be in high jump contest (Thiam should be there instead) because this measure can also give you a medal. High Jump women is very open this year.

Ennis is on the way to win again (KJT really has to improve shot put or she'll never win anything).

Shot Put contest turned on only on last attempt when Carter did the new USA NR. I'm sad Adams could not respond but she's back from a serious injury and she did what she could.

Rutherford grab the final only on his last attempt after two faults. No one really impressed me (again, the weather and the late schedule), I hope the final will be different. I really can't stand another long jump final at low measures...

Some important eliminations: Amos in 800m, Robert Harting, Urbanek and Hadadi in discus, Torneus and Hartfield in long jump.

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
Today competitions

Morning session:

- Men 100m Preliminary
Q: 2 q:2

- Women Triple Jump Qualif.
Q: 14.30 q:12

- Women 3000 Metres Steeplechase Heats
Q: 3 q: 6

- Men Discus Throw Final (cathlen alert ;) )

- Women 400m Heats
Q: 2 q: 8

- Long Jump Hept.

- Men 100m Heats

Afternoon session:

- Javelin Hept.

- Men Pole Vault Qualif.
Q: 5.75m q: 12

- Men 400m Semi-finals
Q:2 q: 2

- Men Long Jump Final

- Women 100m Semi-finals
Q: 2 q: 2

- Men 10,000m Final

- Men 800m Semi-finals
Q: 2 q: 2

- Women 100m Final

- Hept. 800m Final

alebi

Medalist
:laugh2: I think he says these things with premeditation. He's always asked same questions!

In Polish interviews before Olympics he was more cautious, saying that he aims at medals, but he knows that as well as win, he can end up without medals at all.

I was near... I was almost right with his surname.... :palmf:

Well.... 800 is always very open because when it comes to Olympic/World medals there are no pace-maker and the race is usually tactic and open to everyone (except for London when Rudisha did the best thing I saw in my whole life.... and he did the pace for the other finalists... What a race! I'm still thrilled :bow: ).
This year when Rudisha tried to do a leading race, he couldn't keep the speed till the end... Bosse is another who can run ahead but he also lost every possibility he had till now. Adam K. :)p) is an amazing finisseur. If the race is tactic he and Tuka are among the favourites.
Well... there is the semi-finals before and surprises are always around the corner

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I was near... I was almost right with his surname.... :palmf:

Well.... 800 is always very open because when it comes to Olympic/World medals there are no pace-maker and the race is usually tactic and open to everyone (except for London when Rudisha did the best thing I saw in my whole life.... and he did the pace for the other finalists... What a race! I'm still thrilled :bow: ).
This year when Rudisha tried to do a leading race, he couldn't keep the speed till the end... Bosse is another who can run ahead but he also lost every possibility he had till now. Adam K. :)p) is an amazing finisseur. If the race is tactic he and Tuka are among the favourites.
Well... there is the semi-finals before and surprises are always around the corner

Yeah, when it come to 800 m I'm not getting my hopes up. I hope both Adam and Marcin will qualify to final first and the rest is in their legs :)

alebi

Medalist
What a story if Tuka wins a medal for Bosnia.... The guy also train near my hometown. I'm cheering for Amel :clap:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Harting family has a monopol on OGM :sad21: Well, at least Christoph seem to be a fun person.

alebi

Medalist
Oh my... I'm torn about whether to be thrill for this last exciting round or sad because your big Piotr lost gold on the very last attempt... same as Adams

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Oh my... I'm torn about whether to be thrill for this last exciting round or sad because your big Piotr lost gold on the very last attempt... same as Adams
I'm both sad and happy. Happy because we have Silver, but sad because there was a real chance for Gold, and we don't have many overall in a whole Olympics Games.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How did the crowd react to Gatlin when he came out? Bolt got a really nice reception of course. :clap:

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I'm both sad and happy. Happy because we have Silver, but sad because there was a real chance for Gold, and we don't have many overall in a whole Olympics Games.

And it was a great competition for us who didn't cheer for anyone special. Axel Härstedt(SWE) was happy enough just to be in the final, finishing in 10th place.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
And it was a great competition for us who didn't cheer for anyone special. Axel Härstedt(SWE) was happy enough just to be in the final, finishing in 10th place.

I'm sure many Poles would be happy to be in finals in the events that Swedish excel :p I'm happy that Jagaciak is finals in Triple jump, I'm also happy that almost all our runners qualified to semifinals. But I know that for them it's a succes. And Małachowski is good enough to win, he just didn't today. That's a difference.

Btw. Justin Gatlin has the best time from all Heats with 10.01. Nafissatou Thiam (BEL) leads after five events at Heptathlon.

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
Thiam did a great last jump, this opens everything because even if she's slow at 800m, she's very good in javelin! I thought it was already in Jessica's hands but she needs to lose not more than 5 metres in javelin more or less...

Inviato dal mio B1-A71 utilizzando Tapatalk

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Norwegian team:
Sven Martin Skagestad, discus
Karoline Bjerkeli Grøvdal, 1 000m
Erik Tysse, 20 km race walk
Henrik Ingebrightsen, 1 500m
Filip Ingebrightsen, 1 500m
Ezinne Okparaebo, 100m
Ingeborg Løvnes, 3000m steeplechase
Karsten Warholm, 400m hurdles
Amalie luel, 400m hurdles
Karoline Bjerkeli Grøvdal, 5 000m
Isabelle Pedersen, 100m hurdles
Jaysuma Ndure, 200m
Hedda Hynne, 800m
Tonje Angelsen, high jump
Håvard Haukenes, 50km race walk
Sondre Nordstad Moen, marathon

No real medal hopes. Best hope Filip Ingebrightsen, 1 500m. Run Filip run!

Swedish team:
Angelica Bengtsson, pole vault
Axel Härstedt, discus
Charlotta Fougberg, 3000m steeplechase
Daniel Ståhl, discus
Erika Kinsey, high jump
Khadijatou Sagnia, long jump
Kim Amb, javelin
Lovisa Lindh, 800 m
Melker Svärd Jacobsson, pole vault
Meraf Bahta, 1 5000 m
Michaela Meijer, pole vault
Michel Tornéus, long jump
Perseus Karlström, 20km race walk
Sara Lahti, 10 000 m
Sofie Skoog, high jump
Susanna Kallur, 100 m hurdles

Sweden’s best medal hope, Michel Tornéus, is out. Meraf Bahta, 1 500 m may be among the six best. The young pole vault women: Angelica Bengtsson & Michaela Meijer can surprise, Khadijatou Sagnia also. Sentimental good wishes to Susanna Kallur to succeed after her 6 years long injury journey. All Swedes interested in any sport will follow her + as many more :)

The Swedish Olympic Committee didn’t allow Abeba Argawi, who won 1500 gold at worlds 2013, to participate. Aregawi was caught with meldonium in the middle of January 2016 and later cleared by IAAF. Tough on her I think, but the Swedish Sports Confederation have strict rules: You don’t put something into your body that you don’t know what it is, saying ’I thought it was just vitamins’. Swedish Sports Confederation strongly advice against supplements. In a way i can like their policy. If you avoid supplements you have to learn to eat right and you don’t risk taking something illegal by mistake.

Will Sweden ever be as good as in Athens 2004 winning three golds? Men’s high jump, Stefan Holm(now a coach for Sofia Skoog), men’s triple jump, Christian Olsson(now a commentator for Swedish TV4) and women’s hepthathlon, Carolina Klüft(now commentating in Rio for Viasat)

alebi

Medalist
Norwegian team:
Sven Martin Skagestad, discus
Karoline Bjerkeli Grøvdal, 1 000m
Erik Tysse, 20 km race walk
Henrik Ingebrightsen, 1 500m
Filip Ingebrightsen, 1 500m
Ezinne Okparaebo, 100m
Ingeborg Løvnes, 3000m steeplechase
Karsten Warholm, 400m hurdles
Amalie luel, 400m hurdles
Karoline Bjerkeli Grøvdal, 5 000m
Isabelle Pedersen, 100m hurdles
Jaysuma Ndure, 200m
Hedda Hynne, 800m
Tonje Angelsen, high jump
Håvard Haukenes, 50km race walk
Sondre Nordstad Moen, marathon

No real medal hopes. Best hope Filip Ingebrightsen, 1 500m. Run Filip run!

Swedish team:
Angelica Bengtsson, pole vault
Axel Härstedt, discus
Charlotta Fougberg, 3000m steeplechase
Daniel Ståhl, discus
Erika Kinsey, high jump
Khadijatou Sagnia, long jump
Kim Amb, javelin
Lovisa Lindh, 800 m
Melker Svärd Jacobsson, pole vault
Meraf Bahta, 1 5000 m
Michaela Meijer, pole vault
Michel Tornéus, long jump
Perseus Karlström, 20km race walk
Sara Lahti, 10 000 m
Sofie Skoog, high jump
Susanna Kallur, 100 m hurdles

Sweden’s best medal hope, Michel Tornéus, is out. Meraf Bahta, 1 500 m may be among the six best. The young pole vault women: Angelica Bengtsson & Michaela Meijer can surprise, Khadijatou Sagnia also. Sentimental good wishes to Susanna Kallur to succeed after her 6 years long injury journey. All Swedes interested in any sport will follow her + as many more :)

The Swedish Olympic Committee didn’t allow Abeba Argawi, who won 1500 gold at worlds 2013, to participate. Aregawi was caught with meldonium in the middle of January 2016 and later cleared by IAAF. Tough on her I think, but the Swedish Sports Confederation have strict rules: You don’t put something into your body that you don’t know what it is, saying ’I thought it was just vitamins’. Swedish Sports Confederation strongly advice against supplements. In a way i can like their policy. If you avoid supplements you have to learn to eat right and you don’t risk taking something illegal by mistake.

Will Sweden ever be as good as in Athens 2004 winning three golds? Men’s high jump, Stefan Holm(now a coach for Sofia Skoog), men’s triple jump, Christian Olsson(now a commentator for Swedish TV4) and women’s hepthathlon, Carolina Klüft(now commentating in Rio for Viasat)

What an amazing trio it was!!!! Still three of my favourite european athletes

Inviato dal mio B1-A71 utilizzando Tapatalk

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I've seen that Torneus didn't qualify, it must be really hard for him. Well, Poland do have some more medal chances at Athletics, but not in anything else (ok, in volleyball is everything open for now). I mean if we win any medal outside of Athletics it will be a pleasant suprise. I didin't want to write about other sports in this thread, but that's what I meant. (And I read that Swedish female Football team has eliminated World Champions! A real upset :clap: I don't know what else Swedes are good at )

You have some harsh politics on athletes, but at least you don't have unpleasant suprises, like Poland has right now with our Weightlifters :slink:

Last edited: