Figure Skating Friendships | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Friendships

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Regarding Michelle and Irina, they definitely had a rivalry on the ice and were friendly off the ice, but I wonder how many years it has been since they have even seen each other. They would have a lot to catch up on seeing as both are married and Irina has two children and Michelle is on the campaign trail! Irina had it over Michelle at the Grand Prix final, whereas Michelle would win over Irina at Worlds!

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Regarding Michelle and Irina, they definitely had a rivalry on the ice and were friendly off the ice, but I wonder how many years it has been since they have even seen each other. They would have a lot to catch up on seeing as both are married and Irina has two children and Michelle is on the campaign trail! Irina had it over Michelle at the Grand Prix final, whereas Michelle would win over Irina at Worlds!

Didn't they get together in Sochi? I seem to recall - vaguely - having seen something about that? Some photo or something?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This gracious and heartfelt message from Jason Brown on Josh Farris' retirement represents to me the true meaning of figure skating friendship

( Hat tip to @StitchMonkey who posted the link in the Jason Brown fanfest)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHVS0apBUgU/

"Josh (@joshdfarris) -
No single skater has had a bigger impact on me than you...from the time we were 10, competing as Juveniles at Jr. Nationals to making our first World Team together, you motivated me everyday. We traveled the world together, grew up in this sport together, and year after year fought for the same titles. For the past 11 years, you've inspired me each day to work, train, and fight harder. I'll miss our friendly rivalry and the fire in our eyes when we would go head to head at an event. I'll always cherish the memories of watching the US flag raised over our heads, hands over our hearts, and medals around our necks, as we stood on the podium, National Anthem filling the arena! Just like in your skating, I know whatever lies ahead in your life, you will do it with passion, grace, and your own unique style. If you ever need a friend or someone to talk to, you never have to look too far...

Your teammate and friend,
Jason"

*this* is skating friendship.:bow:

You need to go to the link for the adorable photo of baby Josh and baby Jason.:biggrin:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just decided to post again, since @Bwayrose7 also posted while I was typing: great minds think alike:biggrin:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
This gracious and heartfelt message from Jason Brown on Josh Farris' retirement represents to me the true meaning of figure skating friendship

( Hat tip to @StitchMonkey who posted the link in the Jason Brown fanfest)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHVS0apBUgU/

"Josh (@joshdfarris) -
No single skater has had a bigger impact on me than you...from the time we were 10, competing as Juveniles at Jr. Nationals to making our first World Team together, you motivated me everyday. We traveled the world together, grew up in this sport together, and year after year fought for the same titles. For the past 11 years, you've inspired me each day to work, train, and fight harder. I'll miss our friendly rivalry and the fire in our eyes when we would go head to head at an event. I'll always cherish the memories of watching the US flag raised over our heads, hands over our hearts, and medals around our necks, as we stood on the podium, National Anthem filling the arena! Just like in your skating, I know whatever lies ahead in your life, you will do it with passion, grace, and your own unique style. If you ever need a friend or someone to talk to, you never have to look too far...

Your teammate and friend,
Jason"

*this* is skating friendship.:bow:

You need to go to the link for the adorable photo of baby Josh and baby Jason.:biggrin:

Aww, they look so cute, and Jason had his ponytail even then!!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Evgenia's the reason I started watching the 1990s Sailor Moon anime series with my daughter this year. :laugh: I saw Evgenia wearing the costume and posting pictures of Sailor Moon on her social media accounts, so of course I had to go and relive my youth!

anyanka

Record Breaker
Didn't they get together in Sochi? I seem to recall - vaguely - having seen something about that? Some photo or something?

I remember seeing some shots too but saw nothing of them together on either of their Instagram accounts. They were running up to each other like long-lost sisters all smiles and chatting excitedly. It was so lovely to see. Sad that neither of them got Olympic gold but there are so many great memories of them and they've given so much to the sport.