Top 10 Iconic Ladies dresses of all time | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Top 10 Iconic Ladies dresses of all time

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Mao's dress for claire de lune and hers two chopin dresses for the 2013-2014 sp.
Akiko Suzuki's dress for "O" and her dress for the phantom of the opera.
Yuna Kim's dress for the lark ascending and her dress for danse macabre.
Elizaveta tuktamysheva's dress for 2014-2015 LP
so-youn Park, Zijun Li and Kiira korpi have always beautiful dresses.

mrrice

Record Breaker

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
Mao's FS dress from the 2014 Olympics is easily the most iconic for me. Also, for it's magical powers, Marissa Castelli's black dress, aka Ashley Wagner's SP costume from 2015 SC and 2016 Worlds. :p

Layback11

Record Breaker
Most of these will only be since 2013-14. The rest are here thanks to obsessive Pinterest searching :popcorn:.

1. Mao Asada: Nocturne, 2014 (both)
2. Mao Asada: Clair De Lune, 2008-09
3. Mao Asada: Fantaisie Impromptu, 2007-08
4. Yuna Kim: Homage to Korea, 2010-11
5. Gracie Gold: Sleeping Beauty, 2013-14
6. Alissa Czisny: La Vie En Rose, 2011-12
7. Evgenia Medvedeva: Melodies of the White Nights, 2015-16
8. Ashley Wagner: Moulin Rouge, 2015-16 (second version)
9. Maria Sotskova: Breakfast at Tiffany's, 2014-15
10. Zijun Li: Waltz of the Flowers, 2014-15

Honorable mentions: Yuna Kim's Les Mis dress from 2012-13, Kiira Korpi's Somewhere Over the Rainbow dress from 2011-12

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some of these choices aren't really very "iconic." For me, Nancy's Kerrigan's white dress in 1992 and her gold dress in 1994 are iconic. They are, if not the first that Vera Wang designed, among the most famous. The white dress was shamelessly copied by Sasha Cohen in 1994. Vera did some gold dresses for Michelle that were similar to Nancy's gold dress. Here is a video of Vera talking about the dresses she designed for Nancy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-gTH-RDYJQ

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Some of these choices aren't really very "iconic." For me, Nancy's Kerrigan's white dress in 1992 and her gold dress in 1994 are iconic.

People are confused. Iconic is not the same as pretty. There is not a single dress in recent years that is "iconic" There are a lot of dresses that you'd watch and think you would like to wear if you are skating, but none of them is that special.

The neon dress that Peggy wore would be iconic. I still can visualize it now. The 60s style and loud color are very distinctive and Peggy brought that look into her competitive program. Dorothy, on the other hand, didn't incorporate much of the 70s into her dresses. It was just pretty like the pretty dresses now.

That Katarina Witt 98 Olympics dress is iconic. It was so dramatic, suited her style at the time.

Michelle with her crushed velvet strappy blue dress is also iconic.

Of course, Nancy's Vera Wang dress is iconic.

Surya's dresses are iconic as well. On any other girl, it would look silly, on her, it looks regal.

Debbie Thomas catsuit is so elegant.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It's Kira Korpi in a class of her own. Her dresses were never princessant dresses. They were elegant, clean, modern European stylish. If we had to pick a best dressed female over her career she is near the top of my list. I never hated a single dress but maybe there is a klunker she missed on. Oh my God brand new iPad screwy. Ugh. Why why why?

Anyway, I think Kwan had good taste and most dresses would fly today. I found Kim's to be too ornate and glitzy but her taste improved. I think Adios Nonino final dress was well suited to her body. I think in general Gracie can carry off princess like no other. I have loved most of her dresses. She can wear anything really. Her 2014 blue Lp dress I think will be the one people picture her in. That style with or without sheer sleeves gives her a lovely figure.

But we still have to see what dress she wears hopefully to 2018 Olympics.

I love Sasha's dresses esp her dark eyes Sp in Turin because she designed it. Iconic for Sasha.

I agree Caro's best dress and best skate ever was Ave Maria. That's how I remember her.

As for Julia's red coat dress it seems none of us will forget it. It will be remembered for the skate, her amazing season. Unforgettable. Really who remembers any other dress from that year???

Peggy in the simple green dress- truly iconic

Mao's best was her blue Madame Butterfly. Perfect for her.

I thought Sarah Hughes was beautifully costumed and I recall her Sp dress at the Olympics. It seemed a throwback a bit to Luchen's iconic perfect burgundy Lp only dress in Nagano.

Tara was so young so tiny- she was not around long enough to hit her fashion stride.

Another Iconic costume I won't foget is the dress and the skate Oksana wore in her Oly sp. I thought the head thing was ott ballerina and looked I'll fitting but I will always see her in that dress. Her Lp costume was awful but I liked her waif phase as white swan very much. Or am I confusing it with ex dress? Black swan right? Oh it has been so long since 94.

I only put ladies but other off shoots could be the other three disciplines.

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
My choices are a bit left of center. :slink:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL...9_r&params=OAFIAVgI&v=L0otg_Z-esc&mode=NORMAL
Naomi Lang from 2003 Worlds Ice Dance FS... She has such a gorgeous figure and this fits perfectly and is tasteful... Her hair is wonderful too...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7eoU-8GZkVQ&feature=youtu.be
Anything Sasha Cohen wore... Stunning !!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vHRbNZfNHPs
Volosozhar & Trankov - Stars / Nelly Furtado. Art on Ice 2015.. That dress is breathtaking!

Last edited:

boskil

Match Penalty
People are confused. Iconic is not the same as pretty. There is not a single dress in recent years that is "iconic" There are a lot of dresses that you'd watch and think you would like to wear if you are skating, but none of them is that special.
Julia's 2013/14 red coat is epitome of "iconic".
http://cs7060.vk.me/c540102/v540102378/3cc30/cpC6Vf5W94k.jpg
http://cs7060.vk.me/c540102/v540102021/aab3/uYjZpQaWXsQ.jpg
http://66.media.tumblr.com/a739b9e0b615b500d1e30c97656a19a9/tumblr_o7swk2KtOe1tuatvvo2_1280.jpg
https://paolapaulino.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/fotor0216141114.png

Many of her other dresses are inspirational as well.
http://ak1.polyvoreimg.com/cgi/img-set/cid/155208437/id/xhmGcfbh5BGV9R-dmyklpg/size/y.jpg
http://cs7060.vk.me/c540105/v540105212/2e346/E0T5Nj1190s.jpg

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker

Yeah many of these dresses are superb but they're not iconic. By iconic I'm thinking memorable or something many people tried to imitate after. To add onto the ones you listed I think both of Katarina's Witt's dresses at the 1988 Olympics were iconic, her Carmen is one of the most famous Carmens in figure skating that blue dress of course was so fabulously scandalous.

But I do think Yulia Lipnitskaya's Schindler's List dress and Yuna Kim's 2010 Olympic dresses were pretty iconic, their skates were used as some of the defining moments of the Olympics and were seen everywhere. I think for a lot of people who aren't hardcore figure skating fans, Yulia in her red dress and Yuna in her blue dress are pretty recognizable.

There's a lot of dresses I wish became iconic but unfortunately they weren't skating during a definitive, career best performance of any sort.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's a lot of dresses I wish became iconic but unfortunately they weren't skating during a definitive, career best performance of any sort.

Well said :yes:

Manitou

Medalist
Katarina Witt in her Playboy photo-session in 1998..
Similarly Tanya Szewczenko in 1999.

Last edited:

loopy

Final Flight
Anyone who saw yulia in her coat dress will always remember it. I think by iconic it means that they are it and always recognized for it and also they are copied. The dress forever goes with the skater and music.

edenlover

On the Ice
Dorothy Hamill's 76 Olympics LP dress (and program)

Michelle's Romanza dress from 96--the red one with the flamenco look (and program, as well)

Ashley's Hip Hip Chin CHin dress (I think she borrowed it from Maria Castelli) (another and program as well)

I just noticed that my three iconic dresses were also paired with what I call ICONIC programs by the skaters who wore them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thanks for sharing surya's :) i had forgotten about the jumpsuit... a lot of money must have been spent dressing her... :)
Peggy Fleming's greenish-yellow chartreuse dress for the 1968 Olympics in Grenoble is quite famous – it was chosen because the Chartreuse liqueur is made in the Grenoble region.

Costumes made by famous designers always get a lot of attention, for better or worse. Nancy's dresses at the '94 Olympics were timeless and elegant and wouldn't look out of place today. Then you have Surya Bonaly's Christian Lacroix dresses from 1992 (SP and LP), which were a lot more extravagant and got some flak for that. I'm glad they went out of the box, though. Surya was not an in-the-box skater. (Fwiw my favourite of hers must be the one from the SP in Nagano (or the futuristic jumpsuit from the exhibition in '94) – a mature and sophisticated look).

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

A lot of what has been mentioned is just a personal favorite. Nothing wrong with that but iconic is on another more generally famous or well-known level.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting fact about Peggy Fleming... her mother made her skating costumes, including, I think, the iconic chartreuse dress from the '68 Olympics.

She was very elegant. I don't have a lot of patience with the overemphasis on "who are you wearing?" in skating nowadays.

Peggy Fleming's dress was perfect. She would not have been more lovely had she skated in an extravagantly expensive designer outfit.

I much prefer simple and elegant skating costumes, particularly on men. Rudy Galindo's national championship costume was perfect. A ridiculous over-the-top costume would have ruined the program. Brian Boitano, who generally had more flair, was still tasteful.

Alexi Urmanov should still be banned from entering an ice rink for what he wore in Albertville.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Anna Pogorilaya's transformation of costume at the Rise Like a Phoenix exhibition :love: