Iconic men's, dance and pairs costumes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Iconic men's, dance and pairs costumes

mrrice

Record Breaker
He drove me crazy sometimes but, Emanuel Sandhu always looked fantastic! You know who else always looked good. Todd Eldredge.
I preferred Plushy's skating but, Yags always had better costumes. I don't remember when Elvis wore this costume but, I really like it http://skate.org/stojko/elvis-recall.gif

I loved everything my wife Maria Butyrskaya wore.......AFTER her Disco Unitard ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl9yRZOapKc

My Child Joshua Farris, looks good in anything and I can't wait to see him on the ice again. https://31.media.tumblr.com/1d789c4063f86434a4a2f4e45c0414b1/tumblr_njsfhiNseI1rm6ftfo1_r1_500.gif

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
He drove me crazy sometimes but, Emanuel Sandhu always looked fantastic! You know who else always looked good. Todd Eldredge.
I preferred Plushy's skating but, Yags always had better costumes. I don't remember when Elvis wore this costume but, I really like it http://skate.org/stojko/elvis-recall.gif

I loved everything my wife Maria Butyrskaya wore.......AFTER her Disco Unitard ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl9yRZOapKc

I thought Maria was a little too sexy - too much negligee for that era. I have never seen that Elvis costume. Was it in competition? I Thought saw all his skates. But maybe not.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I thought Maria was a little too sexy - too much negligee for that era. I have never seen that Elvis costume. Was it in competition? I Thought saw all his skates. But maybe not.

I don't remember ever seeing Elvis in that Costume. In fact, I was looking for "This" costume when I came across the one in the picture. It's from his 2000 Worlds SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8w1XCYwmkk

As for Maria. I think it was part of her strategy to dress in more, shall we say, "Mature Fashion" to set herself apart from all the young skaters that she was up against during her very competitive era. Like, Michelle, Tara, Sarah, Irina, Lulu, Julia Sebastian, Kristi Yamaguchi, Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan, and Tanja Schevchenko.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Here's my list:

Scott Hamilton's blue/orangish-red free program costume in 1984.

Elvis Stojko's purple FP costume in 1998 - and the image of him limping to the podium in pain in Nagano

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Great list - perfect- except I have no clue what a seaweed costume on Weir was. Pics anyone? I loved early Johnny. So artistic - no effeminate really just beautiful. Hated Lambiels costumes. Hated Plushenhos. Loved Elvis Nagano costume. Philippe was really memorable. Hated his jump technique but boy he really was entertaining at the Olympics.

There you are, Weir's costume

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
IMO none of the men's and pairs costume really stand out of the others (but I think Yuzu's POTO 1.0, the one he wore at COC was nice, i like the combination of red, black and white).

I think Maia's costume of Memoirs of a Geisha is very beautiful, so is Davis/White's Scheherazade, and Anna Cappellini's SP dress (Euro and Worlds 2016) is BELLISSIMA!

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Hated Lambiels costumes.
I can understand people disliking Lambiel's 'Four Seasons' zebra costume, but what is there to hate about his 'Poeta'/Flamenco LP/FS costume? It's elegant and quite classical, except the vest being slightly asymmertrical.

Didn't want to go negative but sorry The Aboriginal dance and Costume was horrible. Blatant cheating got that medal. Ugh.
And that's basically what Crossover said.

Lambiel and his giraffe costume....
:disagree: Sorry, but there was no giraffe in Lambiel's costume. That was Kulik's costume. Lambiel's costume had a zebra pattern.

Also, I think Kulik's costume, while iconic, was really just ugly (the colors, the primitive pattern), but Lambiel's costume was interesting and artistic, and, unlike with Kulik's costume it seems, there is a special story about why Lambiel came up with a costume exactly like that for the particular program.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Didn't want to go negative but sorry The Aboriginal dance and Costume was horrible. Blatant cheating got that medal. Ugh.

The Aboriginal dance and costume were indeed horrible but I can't get off from the vivid image even though I was a fan of Domnina/Shabalin...Thus, iconic. I only watch their CD among their Vancouver programs.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'm surprised that none mentions about Boitano's Napoleon costume. Although I watched his performances much later, given the Battle of Brians, it would be iconic enough at least for North Americans or figure skating fans at that time.

Here's my list:

Scott Hamilton's blue/orangish-red free program costume in 1984.

Elvis Stojko's purple FP costume in 1998 - and the image of him limping to the podium in pain in Nagano

Hamilton's LP dress looks like he borrowed from a SF film. :laugh:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I can understand people disliking Lambiel's 'Four Seasons' zebra costume, but what is there to hate about his 'Poeta'/Flamenco LP/FS costume? It's elegant and quite classical, except the vest being slightly asymmertrical.

:disagree: Sorry, but there was no giraffe in Lambiel's costume. That was Kulik's costume. Lambiel's costume had a zebra pattern.

Also, I think Kulik's costume, while iconic, was really just ugly (the colors, the primitive pattern), but Lambiel's costume was interesting and artistic, and, unlike with Kulik's costume it seems, there is a special story about why Lambiel came up with a costume exactly like that for the particular program.

Can you tell me about that story? :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'd say that Davis and White's Bollywood costumes were more iconic than their Scherazade ones (I never can remember how to spell that). For one thing, you can't get more authentic than, you know, going to an actual Indian clothing store to buy, you know, actual Indian clothing. #justsaying

Why hast no good soul here mentioned the Flintstones on a mental bender costumes for Dominina and Shabalin's [odd, very very odd] OD? I keep praying for a bout of amnesia so I can forget them, but no such luck!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Why hast no good soul here mentioned the Flintstones on a mental bender costumes for Dominina and Shabalin's [odd, very very odd] OD? I keep praying for a bout of amnesia so I can forget them, but no such luck!

I already mentioned them...:biggrin:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hamilton's LP dress looks like he borrowed from a SF film. :laugh:

One of my favorite comments on one of the YouTube videos of Scott's Olympic free program: "If Star Trek and Tron made an American baby, it would be that uniform!" :laugh2:

The thread is about iconic costumes, not pretty costumes. ;)

Last edited: