Iconic men's, dance and pairs costumes | Golden Skate

Iconic men's, dance and pairs costumes

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Separate categories. Men's costumes will I suspect be less memorable.

The most iconic for me Is the stunning costume worn by Alexei Yagudin. It is his Olympic sp Winter which was a wonderful iconic skate. That footwork sequence!!!! SOIMopened their show with all the skaters doing that straight line skate. Gorgeous man! Unforgettable.

I did not love Evan, the program or the costume but his black snake Vera Wang Olympic onesie was surely memorable.

The men seem to have some truly iconic costumes esp on exhibition. I loved Galindo in his simple black Lp costume in 96!when he won his only nationals. I will always love his YMCA sailor outfit. So much fun.

I think that both the Brian's in 88 were so iconic in their military outfits in the LP. Etched in my brain esp Boitano in blue.

Scott's 84 unitard is iconic with the bell bottom legs. Truly an 80s look.

Dance Costumes- um when did taste go crazy?

For me Bolero was unforgettable. Also the white cape Jane wore. I didn't really watch ice dance for a long time. I thought Bourne/Kraatze Riverdance was the ice dance and costume that should have won best everything.

In pairs I recall G and G in 94- simple navy blue with white stripes. Beautifully tailored costuming.

I also think Sale and Pelletier nailed the costumes for Love Story2002. So simple yet so iconic.

Dance and Pairs probably have way more hideous outfits that stick in our minds. I go for understated.

Virtue Moir get my vote for most elegant ever. I liked everything they wore that I saw.

Davis and White I think had their costume moment with Bollywood at the2010 Olympics

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Hmm I can think of Yuzuru Hanyu's Romeo and Juliet 2.0 at the 2014 Olympics, I don't think it was a good costume and I still wonder how Johnny Weir came up with that costume for Romeo but since we are living in an age of social media it did go viral on different platforms and it gave birth to a lot of memes (namely the boobskirt one), so to me it's an iconic costume.

And I agree with Yagudin's Winter costume but his Man in the Iron Mask costume is actually what sticks in my mind the most.

Gordeeva/Grinkov's Moonlight Sonata costumes are probably my favourite costumes of any discipline, so simple but so effective. Them in that costume were also on a postage stamp that commemorated them in 1998 so you can't get anymore iconic than that.

Last edited:

edenlover

On the Ice
Todd Eldridge First Knight 1996 World Championship costume
Todd Eldrindge 2001 (?) 1492 LP costume
Brian Bs costumes 88 Olympics
Javi's from this year's WC LP

Dance--
Mai and Alex's Coldplay
Meryl and CHarlie--Fade into You exhibition costume and Giselle
VIrtue and Moire Funny Face

noskates

Record Breaker
Oh dear - Sexbomb.:noshake:

I think Alex Shibutani and Charlie White have always had great costumes and generally befitting the music they're skating to.

Jason Brown's Riverdance was perfect (liked it much better than Rika Hongo's OTT dress)

Agree about Alexei Yagudin's Winter but I also thought his Man In The Mask was spot on.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I thought about sex bomb. It is Iconic. But I hated most of Plushenkos early costumes. His recent years were more classic.

I didn't know G and G graced a stamp. How cool. Beautiful people. I loved so many costumes they wore as pros. They were so physically striking. I close my eyes and see Sergei in classic black and white shirt and pants and vest. Epitome of the male pair skater. Simply the best. Anton and Elena had some Iconic moments. I'd say Charlie Chaplin or Lady caliph costumes just next in memories of this stunning couple.

Pink Panther is iconic for the tiny, lovely Aliona Savchenko. A great program and so memorable in costuming.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
men... i'd agree with casablanca for kurt, giraffe for kulik and zebra for lambiel.

for dance, i'd say usova zhulin had a few pretty striking costumes ;)

pairs... i also would go for pelletier and salé's love story 2002.... it was just "normal" and we felt drawn into the story.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Candeloro - D'Artagnan
Plushenko - Michael Jackson medley (all versions)
Yagudin - Winter

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Todd Eldredge First Knight 1996 World Championship costume
Todd Eldredge 2001 (?) 1492 LP costume
Brian Bs costumes 88 Olympics
Javi's from this year's WC LP

Yes, Todd's "1492" costume was from 2001 Worlds. His 1996 "First Knight" costume is on display @ the Boston Garden's Sports Museum. The museum features mostly team sports, but there is a section focusing on MA skaters.

I'll add Paul Wylie's "Henry V" costume from the 1992 Winter Olympics. For that matter, I love so many of Paul's costumes - understated elegance!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Men:

Alexei Yagudin: Winter
Philippe Candeloro: D'Artagnan, Godfather
Evgeni Plushenko: Sex Bomb
Kurt Browning: Casablanca, Singing in the Rain
Stéphane Lambiel: Poeta, Four Season (zebra costume)
Brian Joubert: Matrix, 007
Elvis Stojko: Dragon
Ilia Kulik: yellow giraffe costume (horrible, but hard to forget...so let's say it iconic)
Johnny Weir: blue seaweed costume for Otonal that has inspired other skaters.
Daisuke Takahashi: Cyber Swan Lake (with the spiky hair), La Strada

Last edited:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Candeloro's D'Artagnan, YES!
Stephane Lambiel's Four Seasons Zebra
Savchenko & Szolkowy's Pink Panther
Zhigansina & Gazsi's Zombie

There have been many, many costumes I liked, when you say "iconic" these definitely fit the bill, IMO.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Savchenko & Szolkowy's Pink Panther

There have been many, many costumes I liked, when you say "iconic" these definitely fit the bill, IMO.

Totally agreed on the S/S's Pink Panther. I hated the costumes when I first set my eyes on them, but the program and costume are the very representative image of them.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Pairs:

Shen Zhao/Zhao Hongbo- Turandot, Thais, Nutcracker
Pang Qing/Tong Jian- The Impossible Dream
Savchenko/Szolkowy - Pink Pander, Send in the Crown
Elena Berezhnaya/Anton Sikharulidze - Lady Caliph
Jamie Salé/David Pelletier - Tristan und Isolde
Mishkutenok/Dmitriev - Liebestraum, Rachmaninoff Concerto No. 2, Don Quixote
Ekaterina Gordeeva / Sergei Grinkov - Moonlight Sonata

Any competition held before 1990s was too distant for me, but I recently started watching pair performances from 1980s. Consequently, I was pleasantly surprised by the high quality and a variety of character and music during the period! These are my new favorites so far and the most impressive and seemingly iconic programs to have been talked a lot by figure skating fans.

Barbara Underhill/Paul Martini - Gershwin's Concerto in F Until recently, the music in my mind was only associated with Yuna Kim's Olympic free program.
Gillian Wachsman/Todd Waggoner - Malaguena, perhaps second after Sasha Cohen's 03/04 short program
Elena Valova/Oleg Vasiliev - Zorba the Greek, this may not be in the category, but I love the concept and some said the team was underappreciated.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Ice Dance:

Jayne Torvill / Christopher Dean - Bolero
Isabelle Duchesnay / Paul Duchesnay - West Side Story
Marina Klimova / Sergei Ponomarenko - Bach FD
Pasha Grishuk / Evgeni Platov - Memorial Requiem, Libertango
Marina Anissina / Gwendal Peizerat - Romeo & Juliet
Shae-Lynn Bourne / Victor Kraatz - Riverdance
Marie-France Dubreuil / Patrice Lauzon - Somewhere in Time
Oksana Domnina / Maxim Shabalin - Masquerade Waltz, but Aboriginal dance :palmf:
Isabelle Delobel / Olivier Schoenfelder - Piano
Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir - Mahler
Meryl Davis / Charlie White - Scheherazade

I love the thread! I think the disparity between the thread for ladies alone and the rest of the discipline reflects the reality of how people perceive figure skating. :laugh:

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
Davis/White's Scheherazade and POTO costumes are the first two that come to mind, for me! Yuzuru's Seimei costume will also probably be one I'll always remember, as will Ilinykh/Katsalopov's Swan Lake outfits!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Men:

Alexei Yagudin: Winter
Philippe Candeloro: D'Artagnan, Godfather
Evgeni Plushenko: Sex Bomb
Kurt Browning: Casablanca, Singing in the Rain
Stéphane Lambiel: Poeta, Four Season (zebra costume)
Brian Joubert: Matrix, 007
Elvis Stojko: Dragon
Ilia Kulik: yellow giraffe costume (horrible, but hard to forget...so let's say it iconic)
Johnny Weir: blue seaweed costume for Otonal that has inspired other skaters.
Daisuke Takahashi: Cyber Swan Lake (with the spiky hair), La Strada

Great list - perfect- except I have no clue what a seaweed costume on Weir was. Pics anyone? I loved early Johnny. So artistic - no effeminate really just beautiful. Hated Lambiels costumes. Hated Plushenhos. Loved Elvis Nagano costume. Philippe was really memorable. Hated his jump technique but boy he really was entertaining at the Olympics.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Ice Dance:

Jayne Torvill / Christopher Dean - Bolero
Isabelle Duchesnay / Paul Duchesnay - West Side Story
Marina Klimova / Sergei Ponomarenko - Bach FD
Pasha Grishuk / Evgeni Platov - Memorial Requiem, Libertango

Marina Anissina / Gwendal Peizerat - Romeo & Juliet
Shae-Lynn Bourne / Victor Kraatz - Riverdance
Marie-France Dubreuil / Patrice Lauzon - Somewhere in Time
Oksana Domnina / Maxim Shabalin - Masquerade Waltz, but Aboriginal dance :palmf:
Isabelle Delobel / Olivier Schoenfelder - Piano
Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir - Mahler
Meryl Davis / Charlie White - Scheherazade

I love the thread! I think the disparity between the thread for ladies alone and the rest of the discipline reflects the reality of how people perceive figure skating. :laugh:

Didn't want to go negative but sorry The Aboriginal dance and Costume was horrible. Blatant cheating got that medal. Ugh.