Let's guess the Russian ladies Oly team? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Let's guess the Russian ladies Oly team?

hanca

Record Breaker
My dream team would be Lipnitskaya, Sakhanovich, Radionova, but I think in reality (based on the last season) the biggest chance has Medvedeva, Tsurskaya, Radionova. Saying that, there may be injuries, puberty, one bad season due to unexplained factors etc, so the spots are still pretty much open. Based on two or three seasons prior to the last Olympics we would never know that it will be Tuktamysheva who would stay at home. Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva was in everyone's mind, and Lipnitskaya was a year behind, therefore somewhat behind. Then the Olympic season came and Lipnitskaya was winning everything while Tuktamysheva was unreliable...

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Evegenia, Anna, Elena. (Julia must try to find a decent program)

moriel

Record Breaker
I think most of Julia's issues came from not great jump technique and the aftermath of the Olympics what with being the hero of the team event and then not managing to medal at the individual event. Julia's body changed since the Olympic season for sure but other people have survived much more drastic growth spurts and changes with their jumps intact. Julia is still relatively short and her height did not increase much after the olympics and neither did her weight or general body build. She has some curves now but post puberty she is still petite and slim just as she was before. Compared to someone like Mirai Nagasu who went from being itty bitty as a young teen (much smaller than Julia as a 13-14 year old) to a fairly tall with a sturdier, athletic body type by the age of 16-17, Julia's changes were much less significant. And yet even Mirai seems to be improving as of late. I really do think technique and the mental aspect are to blame for Julia's struggles the past couple of seasons, not puberty. She actually is similar to Sasha Cohen in her build, both as a young girl and now woman.

I think if Julia can work to improve her technique and gets herself in a good place mentally, she can definitely come back strong. Being strong may not be strong enough to make it to Worlds or Olympics but it's hard to say what will happen. Under Tutberidze her 3loop and 3sal were not that strong/reliable, and while the 3lutz and 3flip were consistent for her, there always seemed to be edge issues and it wasn't just on one jump (she's gotten called for flutzing and lipping IIRC). Hopefully Urmanov has worked on getting those jumps sorted out, the tano 3lz looked great at nationals so it will be interesting to see how she's looking next season.

I actually don't think Yulia's issues were sooooo serious as people describe actually.
Coming into Sochi Oly's, she was good, but not a head above the rest of the field, and not a head above some of her teammates.
After Sochi, she suddenly turned into THE girl, and there was way too much pressure on her, + the post olympic seasons seem to be very harsh on most top contenders anyway. And also puberty changes.
Meanwhile, some of her teammates came back (Tuktamysheva) and others turned senior (like Radionova and Medvedeva).

If there was no such depth in the russian field... But she basically was in a situation where you take a tiny step backwards and there is suddenly a crowd of skaters ahead of you.

Rissa

Record Breaker
My guess: Tuk, Elena, Pogo

Tuk will be climbing up, Elena will remain the prerennial runner up, Med will have problems that all Russian girls have sooner or later, Julia will miss it by a hair and Pogo will hang on there somehow, like she has so far.

But in truth the only one I'd bet on is Elena. She won't be the leader of the pack, but she'll be there.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm just curious, was there anyone predicting that Alena Leonova would be on the Olympic podium after her world silver in 2012? Just saying, she won her world medal at the halfway point to Sochi. How did everyone feel about her at that point? I personally wasn't paying much attention to skating back then, so I wouldn't know.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm just curious, was there anyone predicting that Alena Leonova would be on the Olympic podium after her world silver in 2012? Just saying, she won her world medal at the halfway point to Sochi. How did everyone feel about her at that point? I personally wasn't paying much attention to skating back then, so I wouldn't know.

No because most people probably knew she wouldn't be on the team when the time came because other . The only reason she went to Worlds was because the 1st and 2nd place finishers at Nationals - Sotnikova and Lipnitsaya, were not age-eligible.

Which is one of the things I dislike about Nationals, to me the age limits need to be adjusted for 2 things
1) Make it one set age when a skater is eligible for ISU competitions, skaters can compete on the Grand Prix but not Euros/4cc/Worlds is ridiculous
2) ISU restricts nationals to senior-eligible skaters, maybe have it be that skaters can compete at their nationals if they will be Senior eligible the next season. But it was a little sad that Russia was sending skaters that didn't podium at Worlds because the medalists were not age-eligible.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The halfway point to Sochi was a rather weird time for the Ladies. Yuna seemed to be retired Mao was struggling Miki took the year off and Kostner of all people was the best skater in the world. Of course the next season was when the youngsters like Adelina,Tuk and Gracie made their debut at Worlds. Yuna of course came back and after her performance at Worlds seemed to be unbeatable again heading into Sochi. Little did we know.