Which retirees do you miss the most? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Which retirees do you miss the most?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
As long as Jason Brown is around... I doubt he has a chance, sadly. I think international judges respect him far more than what he get at home. Age is also against him.

However.. fingers crossed. If Kostner, Akiko can do it, why not Abbott!! :thumbsup:

Jason and Joshua were unfortunately out of competition due to their injuries last season, so I thought Jeremy had a chance to win the title in a weaker field if he keeps all his assets. I'm wondering how Joshua are doing these days by the way. BUT I was actually glad for Adam to become an US Champion for the first time in his career while the wonder kid, Nathan's winning would be awesome too. I'm really looking forward to next US Nationals.

While I loved seeing Akiko competing during her career, she looks super busy these days for her TV appearances, choreographing, and many others. She is quite a character on and off the ice.

I have not been a big fan of Carolina, but I'm glad for her comeback to competition. Isn't she going to be 30 in 2018?

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
When Tara Lipinski retired I was so upset, mainly because I'm about the same age as her and couldn't believe she was "done". Yeah, being both a world champion and an Olympic champion by the age of 15 is extraordinary accomplishment, but she was still in high school! Who retires from something when they're only in high school?! Heh.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
When Tara Lipinski retired I was so upset, mainly because I'm about the same age as her and couldn't believe she was "done". Yeah, being both a world champion and an Olympic champion by the age of 15 is extraordinary accomplishment, but she was still in high school! Who retires from something when they're only in high school?! Heh.

Sarah Hughes. Oksana Baiul that's who retires while in highschool.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I was really upset to hear that Zhiganshina and Gazsi were retiring from competition. They were the couple I really looked forward to for character and innovation and were really warming me towards ice dancing again. Gilles and Poirier are the main couple that do that for me now but I still really miss Nelli and Alexander too.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Sasha Cohen
Kiira Korpi
Tatsuki Machida
Carolina Kostner - need no more! :hap10:
Oh if only the same kind of miracle happened with Kiira -please just for Helsinki Worlds!!!

sam0987

Rinkside
I miss YUNA Kim the most... And want to say to YUNA "Thank you for the lots of outstanding performances ":thumbsup:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'll never stop missing Daisuke Takahashi. I also feel myself missing Akiko Suzuki.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sarah Hughes. Oksana Baiul that's who retires while in highschool.

Yes, very true. They along with Tara are from a different era, where winning the OGM opened up enough doors for them to make staying an amateur unattractive and unnecessary. Granted, Sarah competed for another year after her OGM.

Our winners from the last two cycles continued to compete after hiatuses. I also get the feeling if Shizuka won her OGM earlier in her career she would have continued to compete as well.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
However.. fingers crossed. If Kostner, Akiko can do it, why not Abbott!! :thumbsup:

Oh, if that happens :shocked: I miss Jeremy Abbott competing. Watching him on the net in shows is not the same. For me exhibitions must be seen live to be exciting. So, yes, I miss Jeremy :(

Would be great to at least see him in Kiss and Cry sometime :)

I saw he recently learned the back flip - or did I :unsure:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
As long as Jason Brown is around... I doubt he has a chance, sadly. I think international judges respect him far more than what he get at home. Age is also against him.

Wait, let me get this straight: Jason's petition for the World Team was denied in favor of Adam, Max, Nathan Chen, and Grant Hochstein, but it's JASON who's standing in Jeremy's way? Seriously?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Wait, let me get this straight: Jason's petition for the World Team was denied in favor of Adam, Max, Nathan Chen, and Grant Hochstein, but it's JASON who's standing in Jeremy's way? Seriously?

The post from OS seems to be intended as a respectful compliment to Jason, IMO.
It seems to take a broader view than the selection of Adam/Max/Nathan/Grant/Ross/Alex as the 2016 world team and alternates.

The implication to me is that in the opinion of OS, Jason is at the top of the heap of the U.S. men.
I think OS was trying to say that if Jeremy chooses to compete again, he could hold his own against the others -- but not against Jason.

Hope OS will come back and clarify, one way or the other.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
The post from OS seems to be intended as a respectful compliment to Jason, IMO.
It seems to take a broader view than the selection of Adam/Max/Nathan/Grant/Ross/Alex as the 2016 world team and alternates.

The implication to me is that in the opinion of OS, Jason is at the top of the heap of the U.S. men.
I think OS was trying to say that if Jeremy chooses to compete again, he could hold his own against the others -- but not against Jason.

Hope OS will come back and clarify, one way or the other.

Jason with quads could be very competitive.

Actually, I am more refering to the typical shuffle of ranking at National federation's whim everywhere. Who the skating federations want to prop up as their #1 contender that changes year in year out. Unfortunately in order to do that, it is often done a the expense of their formal #1 and 2s irrespective of who the skaters are.

It is the same everywhere, not just US, but also Japan (Dai been a victim of it) and Russia (Sotnikova reign supreme despite least 2 years questionable wins) as we have seen time and time again, where the sport has become about federation interests. The individual merits are secondary to a 'nationalist' unity agenda. That is why judging panel selection can be so critical in this sport. I bet you if we have a European judge panel that judges at US national, the results may have been quite different.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't really miss Carolina all that much. I agree she was a beautiful skater, but I would've been ok if she didn't plan to come out of retirement. All her world medals and her long awaited Olympic medal are nothing to snuff at.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you so very much! :thank:

I've rewatched this program today, along with their other programs on that page. Simply fantastic! Today the tech content of ID has changed a lot, but true art lives forever. I found these old Klimova and Ponomarenko's programs considerably more memorable than anything at the last Worlds.

I still remember seeing them in the Champions on Ice tour. Pretty incredible!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really miss so many of them though it might be more of a youtube as some were before my times. And I have a very diffferent take than most.

For example,while I though Kristi Yamaguchi was a well deserved OGM as an amateur was just another elegant, pretty American skater with consistent but not awe inspiring jumps. As a pro she actually shined more artistically and in respect to consistency. I miss the perkiness of Ito and the defiance of Surya, the natural musicality of Baiul, the power, the smile and the dynamics of Josee Chouinard, i might have been able to mourn properly the demise of Kwan had she ended on a better note rather than sort of just evaporate and disappear. I miss Gordeeva and Grinkov because the had a rare and special magic as did Klimova and Pomarenko who technically were amazing too as were Usova and Zhulin. I sadly don't miss Evan L. but do miss Lambiel and Buttle. And too bad injury took Yagudin out so quickly because he was amazing. I miss the competitive Kurt Browning, the fire and rawness of Elvis Stojko and to make mrrice happy Maria B because she skated like a real woman not a girl. i miss sure perfection of Yuna and oddly that American lady Debi Thomas i don't miss her skating but her realness. She said it as it was and didn't hide her feelings versus her Miss America counterparts. I miss the fire and passion of M and D in pairs. I amazingly don't miss Carolina though she is coming back - mainly because she was really error prone. I surprisingly don't miss Tara or Sarah even though they won OGM and had great skates - they just aren't magical, memorable. B and S, S and P, s and Z are all lovely pairs teams that i miss. I will add an American skater by the name of Tiffany Chin - watched her on you tube and wondered what could have been but for mommy meanest? I also miss the spunk of Irina Slutskaya and her powerful jumps and the spins of Bielmann, Ruh and unknown skater by the name of Kay Thomson - she placed fifth at worlds at least once. Brian O AND B are huge losses. Sadlly I can't say the same about Scotty Hamilton. he kind of won just because of the scoring system back then but really had been passed by other skaters. in the end, he didn't have the technical elements of ORSER or the excitement. He really looked like he was clinging on - yes because of school figures, but he was having issue with his limited technical skilll - compared to Orser - at his last worlds/performance. it just was kind of sad. oh and i would add Sasha because you just hoped she would get it together but she didn't.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Let me see, I miss too many skaters...
ladies: Maria Buyrskaia, Sasha Cohen, Denise Bielmann, Lucinda Ruh,
men: Daisuke Takahashi, Stephane Lambiel, Emanuel Sandhu, Laurent Tobel, Philipe Candeloro, younger Plushy,
Dance: Anissina/Peizerat, Grishchiuk/Platov
Pairs: Kazakova/Dimitriev, Mishkuteok/Dimitrev

Sorry for any miss spelling. I am sure I forgot some as my had is partially conquered by a bad cold.

Last edited:

edenlover

On the Ice
I miss Michelle, Todd, Chen Lu, Ina and Zimmerman, Pang and Tong and Shen and ZHou (forgive me if I mispell) and Miki Ando

I could add Paul WYlie to that list as well.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Jason with quads could be very competitive.

Yes, and of course including 2 triple axels he would be very competitive, exactly as Abbott would be with the same arsenal....