Grand Prix 2016-17 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2016-17

abfab

Rinkside
is it this week that we'll know where which skaters will go ?
at the end of the ISU congress ?

Fabien from France

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*groans* Still ages away. How am I going to survive?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's really less than a 3-week wait. In the meantime, the BROADMOOR OPEN starts on June 21, and the CHESAPEAKE OPEN (the first ice dance comp) starts on June 22.

Layback11

Record Breaker
It's really less than a 3-week wait. In the meantime, the BROADMOOR OPEN starts on June 21, and the CHESAPEAKE OPEN (the first ice dance comp) starts on June 22.

Even that seems like it's eons away! :laugh:

Other suggestions: US rhythmic gymnastics/trampoline nationals are today and tomorrow. Shark Week starts June 26. And you can always keep up with the hurricane season news on the Weather Channel. :laugh:

boskil

Match Penalty
Other suggestions: US rhythmic gymnastics/trampoline nationals are today and tomorrow. Shark Week starts June 26. And you can always keep up with the hurricane season news on the Weather Channel. :laugh:
Btw., I checked wiki lately and Russian rhytmic gymnasts seem to be much more dominant than their fs ladies! :eek:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
We have Euro 2016 (Football) from today in Europe :cool: :popcorn: Halfway tournament, I won't even remember about about GP assignments :laugh:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
We have Euro 2016 (Football) from today in Europe :cool: :popcorn:
The Netherlands didn't qualify. Most of our fun will be had watching a daily program on the Dutch public channel NOS 1 (think BBC 1) in which a bunch of guys talk soccer in the setting of a living room... with a long-haired dachshund wandering around the room, being petted and being fed treats. He's called Messi (for real!) and was a HUGE hit with the viewers two years ago with the World championships, got his own facebook and twitter account and all. https://www.facebook.com/Messistudiobrasil

I wasn't gonna watch any soccer this year, but now that Messi's back... I just cannot stop watching. And eventually might actually decide what country to root for. :biggrin:

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
The Netherlands didn't qualify. Most of our fun will be had watching a daily program on the Dutch public channel NOS 1 (think BBC 1) in which a bunch of guys talk soccer in the setting of a living room... with a long-haired dachshund wandering around the room, being petted and being fed treats. He's called Messi (for real!) and was a HUGE hit with the viewers two years ago with the World championships, got his own facebook and twitter account and all. https://www.facebook.com/Messistudiobrasil

I wasn't gonna watch any soccer this year, but now that Messi's back... I just cannot stop watching. And eventually might actually decide what country to root for. :biggrin:

Netherlands not qualifying was the biggets suprise in Qualifiers, I think :eek: In Poland most football fans watch Euros and World Cup regardless if Poland plays or not, because these days it's quite rare :laugh: And it still is fun to watch the tournament since it's not that often. I always root for Italy and in World Cup for Costa Rica :biggrin:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Btw., I checked wiki lately and Russian rhytmic gymnasts seem to be much more dominant than their fs ladies! :eek:

I'd say their ladies skaters and rhythmic gymnasts are about equally so. Yana K. is not doing as well as she has in the past, but Margarita Mamun is totally dominant and Aleksandra Soldatova and the Averinas are also looking incredibly strong. Not sure about their juniors, but I'm sure they're good too. :laugh:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And, will the assigments be announced right after the event or will we have to wait even longer to know? :drama:

Usually some news is leaked during the selection process and all is revealed as soon as it's over.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

We also have Alexa and Chris's wedding... depending on the guest list we might get some good candid pics of skaters and/or cats.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

THAT'S STILL AGES :tantrum:

And the music news is not coming out nearly fast enough for my liking!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
THAT'S STILL AGES :tantrum:

And the music news is not coming out nearly fast enough for my liking!

I am wondering if part of the delay this season might have to do with wanting to wait for the Congress to get done so they know of any changes. Especially the length changes could affect decisions.

Maybe now that it is over we will get more announcements.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am wondering if part of the delay this season might have to do with wanting to wait for the Congress to get done so they know of any changes. Especially the length changes could affect decisions.

Maybe now that it is over we will get more announcements.

After all these years, I still don't know if injured skaters get a BYE or have what they call in Tennis a "Protected Ranking" to get into Grand Prix events. What will happen with Joshua and Jason since neither of them skated at Worlds. Joshua hasn't skated in over a year, has he?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
After all these years, I still don't know if injured skaters get a BYE or have what they call in Tennis a "Protected Ranking" to get into Grand Prix events. What will happen with Joshua and Jason since neither of them skated at Worlds. Joshua hasn't skated in over a year, has he?

Jason is guarnated at least one GP based on his world standing(12) and his season best score ranking (21) either one is good enough for one GP spot.

Josh could be assigned to a early Senior B and if he did well enough he could in theory get a GP spot especially if he does well in summer comps. He might have a comeback skater option... but I am not sure about that. Josh sits right at 75 on world rankings so he might be still eligible for a GP... and Skate America could be an option as I know the rules are relaxed a bit for host skaters. But his focus really needs to be getting and staying healthy, not the GP. Challenger Bs would be perfectly lovely for him if he is healthy for them and could still get him a bye to Nationals. If he is healthy I suspect USFSA will work with him and be supportive.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Jason is guarnated at least one GP based on his world standing(12) and his season best score ranking (21) either one is good enough for one GP spot.

Josh could be assigned to a early Senior B and if he did well enough he could in theory get a GP spot especially if he does well in summer comps. He might have a comeback skater option... but I am not sure about that. Josh sits right at 75 on world rankings so he might be still eligible for a GP... and Skate America could be an option as I know the rules are relaxed a bit for host skaters. But his focus really needs to be getting and staying healthy, not the GP. Challenger Bs would be perfectly lovely for him if he is healthy for them and could still get him a bye to Nationals. If he is healthy I suspect USFSA will work with him and be supportive.

Thank you for that response and I agree with you about Joshua. He needs some low pressure events to start the season. He has had some major injuries during his career. In fact, didn't he break his leg a couple of seasons ago.