Grand Prix 2016-17 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix 2016-17

apons575

Rinkside
Yes, I heard this comment thrown around by Johnny & Tara with regard to the ladies event at Rostelecom last season. But the Russians didn't do it there. Elizaveta went to two different events, and she was certainly Russia's number one or number two heading into the season. And the top two Russian pairs didn't compete against each other all season prior to Worlds, not even at Nationals. Their top two dance teams were--foolishly, IMO--scheduled to go up against each other at Mordovian Ornament, but that never happened as many of us predicted. I hope Federations are smarter than the average commentator. There is no reason to have your best athletes fighting each other early in the season. There is an entire world out there to do battle with first.

I definitely see both sides! I'd prefer they both were there, I'd definitely buy some tickets. The Russians and Japanese do always have a strong team at their home events though. Like Mao and Satoko were both at NHK, Elena and Adelina (Evgenia too, pre-star) were at Rostelecom... It would be nice to have Ashley and Gracie go 1-2 at SA, but I just worry about that getting into their heads (mostly Gracie's). Plus, Russia has sent some strong contenders to SA the past two years, and if anything.....Ashley or Gracie would need to win SA to keep some credibility. Gracie lost the past two years, and if we had them both lose, it wouldn't do well for their standing later on.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
"Because the Russians do it" is the reason i have seen.

but really it could lead to more ticket sales/butts in seats to have them both their. There is also some thinking that it drives competition and makes them better in the long run having to fight along the way.

Not really, last season Elena Radionova was Nationals #1 while Evgenia was #3 and then throughout the season they solidified themselves as #1 and #2 through their skating results. Either way the Russian girls are an anomaly and not the rule, they have more top contenders than others countries so their GP assignments are bound to be more a little more crowded.

In terms of American ladies making the GPF Gracie and Ashley have the best chances to qualify and even better chances if they don't meet head to head, it's strategy.

I wonder why Polina has never been given a chance to go to Skate America?

Probably because her results can guarantee her 2 GP spots, I think they usually TBA one of the SA spots just in case another lady doesn't get 1/2 assignments.

Rissa

Record Breaker
TBH, if they wan't both Gracie and Ashley to qualify for GPF, Gracie should get the home rink advantage so that she doesn't headcase and blow it. Ashley's more stable internationally.

ioanna

Record Breaker
My concern is that NHK will have Mao and Satoko again, but also Wakaba as host pick. If those three will compete against each other at the same GP one or two of them will lose their chance to qualify for the GPF. Of course, some expected things may turn out to be unexpected after the season starts.

NaVi

Medalist
My concern is that NHK will have Mao and Satoko again, but also Wakaba as host pick. If those three will compete against each other at the same GP one or two of them will lose their chance to qualify for the GPF. Of course, some expected things may turn out to be unexpected after the season starts.

No reason whatsoever to be concerned... the Cup of China is right next to NHK and either Mao or Satoko(or Wakaba) will go to it.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Not sure about Mao and Satoko, but one of 3 ladies for top 3 will be at NHK for sure. I think one of Russian ladies will get NHK. So yeah, little chances even if one will do other GP, that three Japanese ladies will qualify for GPF, but not impossible :) I guess the best for Japanese ladies would if the one to go to NHK wasn't Evgenia and he might want to, considering she seems to love Japan.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I am a bit sad that Rika Hongo has been forgotten... she is also one of Japan's top ladies.

Then again... Rika can do well anywhere it seems, so she may need home field advantage the least.

ioanna

Record Breaker
No reason whatsoever to be concerned... the Cup of China is right next to NHK and either Mao or Satoko(or Wakaba) will go to it.

I'm pretty sure Mao and Satoko will both be at NHK again. Satoko because she's #1 in the World standings and the National champion and Mao because she's the star. They will have a third spot up to the federation's choice. I think the federation will make a smart choice and let Wakaba have two different assignments just like Yuka Nagai last season.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure about that. She was great at Cup Of China but she plummeted down to 5th at Rostelecom.

Rika (or anyone else who wasn't Russian) had no chance at Rostelecom against Radionova, Medvedeva and Sotnikova. Sotnikova was gifted with over-the-top PCS scores and won bronze even though she did only 3t+2t in the SP, and got two downgrades, doubled a triple and fell on a 2a in the FS.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Sotnikova is gifted in Program Components.

And Rika gave away points this year at Rostelecom. Seeing as she won it the season before, though, with almost zero reputation, I don't see this season's result as evidence that she cannot do well anywhere. Apparently she can.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I am pretty sure JSF will keep both Mao and Satoko at NHK, not sure about Wakaba, this is her first year they might send her to other GP's.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'd like to see Wakaba in a GP where she wouldn't be in the shadow of Mao or Satoko, so hopefully not NHK. But we will see, the new faces in GP are often interesting cases :popcorn:

ioanna

Record Breaker
And Rika gave away points this year at Rostelecom. Seeing as she won it the season before, though, with almost zero reputation, I don't see this season's result as evidence that she cannot do well anywhere. Apparently she can.

The field at Rostelecom the season before was completely different though, and Pogorilaya made a lot of mistakes then. The point is basically that nobody is guaranteed to do well anywhere.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
No, the point is that it was the people not the place. StitchMonkey said she could do well anywhere, and Rostelecom is one event in which there is plenty of evidence that she can.

And no one used the term, "guarantee." LOL. This is figure skating. If there were guarantees, Elizaveta would have been at Worlds this season, Hanyu would be World Champion, the GPF champions would have made the World dance podium, and the 2014-2015 Russian national dance champions would have made their national podium this season. No guarantees. None.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
No, the point is that it was the people not the place. StitchMonkey said she could do well anywhere, and Rostelecom is one event in which there is plenty of evidence that she can.

And no one used the term, "guarantee." LOL. This is figure skating. If there were guarantees, Elizaveta would have been at Worlds this season, Hanyu would be World Champion, the GPF champions would have made the World dance podium, and the 2015 Russian national dance champions would have made their national podium this season. No guarantees. None.

Whoa there, I'm not here to argue or anything. If I read the posts correctly it was about the place and not about the people. That's what you were saying, that she can do well anywhere, including Rostelecom. I actually pointed out that the fields in 2014 and 2015 were different, meaning there were different people and circumstances.

In 2014 Rika was competing against Pogorilaya, Chartrand and Nagasu. The other two Russians were Artemieva and Stavitskaia. Chartrand was leading after the SP and Rika won by making the least mistakes; 2 UR calls vs Chartrand's 4 UR calls. Pogorilaya missed one of her combinations. It was an easy win.

In 2015 she was competing against Medvedeva, Radionova, Sotnikova, Edmunds and Chartrand. She realized it was a tough competition and she made a lot of mistakes. I didn't understand StitchMonkey's "she may need home field advantage the least" statement. The Japanese ladies are hardly getting home field advantage anyway.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Only nine days to announcement time! Anyone have any last predictions to throw out there? :popcorn:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Whoa there, I'm not here to argue or anything. If I read the posts correctly it was about the place and not about the people. That's what you were saying, that she can do well anywhere, including Rostelecom. I actually pointed out that the fields in 2014 and 2015 were different, meaning there were different people and circumstances.

Yes, that's what I was saying. That your argument was about people. While the comment prior was about location. In any case, we're in agreement overall.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Skate America US men prediction:

Adam
Jason
TBA (Joshua/Nathan/Timothy/Ricky?)