Programs that make curious about the origin | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Programs that make curious about the origin

Layback11

Record Breaker
I haven't actually watched anything because someone skated to it, but there are several ballets I want to watch because the music is a warhorse or semi-warhorse. (Particularly Swan Lake, Firebird and Coppelia.)

It might be interesting to watch W.E. because Evgenia's program to it was very unique and original and I would like to see if ties into the movie at all. However, when I looked up the summary, it looked quite dull, so I'd rather not.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I watched Giselle (the production with Baryshnikov) on youtube to try to figure out where the music cuts came from in Davis and White's Giselle SD, one of my favorite programs of theirs. (BTW great job of music cutting, Charlie!)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Delobel and Schoenfelder did sign language in their world championships winning FD to The Piano soundtrack.

That is a masterpiece of the ice dancing team. I prefer their Euro version except the costumes to their World winning version.

Spiral

Final Flight
I was curious about the music too, but haven't found an answer to the question yet. When I first saw the title, it would be a nostalgic music composed possibly by a Russian or a person from the former Soviet Bloc in retrospection of the old St. Petersberg. But the composer is American, so my second guess was that he spent some time in the city while being called Leningrad until 1991. By googling his profile, he doesn't seem to be old enough going travel to the country considering the Cold War era or his parents don't seem to come from the place. So it is a mystery.:)
I've read that his piano teacher was from Russia, so she might have told him something that inspired him to create this music. Or he might have travelled there himself, as a pianist - there was some cultural exchange, after all. But what exactly about Leningrad inspired him to compose this music is indeed a mystery.

From her interview: "I worked on my FS with a hearing-impaired choreographer who arranged the end of my program with sign language. I don't know if hearing-impaired people understand me but it came out very original thanks to choreographers and coaches. What I'm saying (with signs) is: I can't hear you but I've got goosebumps all over my skin from feeling you with my heart. I don't fear you, I open up for you. I haven't heard anyone do anything like that before."
Yes, I've read this interview, but I'm curious why they chose this music to convey this message.

AnyaFei

On the Ice
Because of Volozoshar/Trankov's SP (Nagada Sang Dhol), I watched the bollywood movie Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela, and I was surprised that the film is an adaptation of "Romeo and Juliet", but boy, I would recommend you to watch it just for the visual grandeur of the movie.

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
After this Worlds was over, I rewatched the 2001 film. Ashley delivered the main character really well.

Watching the movie for the first time after seeing Ashley's FS was pretty cool - I was amazed by how well she delivered that character as well! I felt like she really was Satine.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Usually the choices of music or theme give little incentive for me to look for their sources, inspiration etc. - the war horses, more popular movie soundtracks, etc. are pretty obvious choices... Been there, seen that... Sometimes I might listen to the piece of music to restore the original to my mind after some particularly horrible cuts ;) Sometimes I might do the same to see what was left out which can also be quite interesting.

But this year I did watch "Onmyoji (1-2)" (Hanyu) and "Guys and Dolls" (Fernández) out of curiosity. The first because I wanted to understand what the rather bland choreo was based on and was left even more unimpressed by what Bourse and Hanyu came up with, because little of it seemed to have anything to do with the movies and the main character himself. The second because it was said that the choreo included references to the movie choreo and indeed, the first minute has quite a few gestures picked directly from the first scene involved with the gambling theme. Of course, the Sinatra version of "Luck Be a Lady" is not featured as Brando sings the song in the movie. Otherwise, recommended only if you are hardcore musical fan, it was boring and long.

Ashley's MR worked absolutely brilliantly on its own even if you did not know what the movie was about. The snippets of songs and lyrics were put together in a way that created a/the story and an emotional arc that got me weeping every single time by the time "Show Must Go On" started... And Ashley delivered it every time also!

E

E

amanuenssi

Rinkside
Maybe you should watch the video of Yuzuru's Seimei with the Chinese commentary and the English subtitels called "2015-16 Best Foreign Winter Sport Athlete". You can watch the video in Yuzuru Hanyu International Fan Group in Facebook. The Chinese commentary may give you a new perspective and widen your experience of Yuzuru's program.

Pika

Final Flight
I had never seen Moulin Rouge before Ashley... :slink: And as somebody said, I was amazed by the way she portrayed perfectly the character. I always loved this program but after seeing the movie it had even more impact on me. And Moulin Rouge is now one of my favorite movies... ;)

Delobel/Schoenfelder's FD to The Piano made me watch the film, too. But though I loooooooooooved the dance, the movie left me an mixed impression.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Delobel/Schoenfelder's FD to The Piano made me watch the film, too. But though I loooooooooooved the dance, the movie left me an mixed impression.

I haven't watched the Australian film although I love the film's image and soundtrack. I'm afraid that the film could be one of energy vampires. :slink:
I must see the film someday since I adore Isabel and Olivier's Piano FD.

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Maybe you should watch the video of Yuzuru's Seimei with the Chinese commentary and the English subtitels called "2015-16 Best Foreign Winter Sport Athlete". You can watch the video in Yuzuru Hanyu International Fan Group in Facebook. The Chinese commentary may give you a new perspective and widen your experience of Yuzuru's program.

Thanks for the tip! However, most of it I knew already and I still think that the choreo could have been more innovative, using much more explicitly Japanese movement. I just feel that the choreo could have been skated to almost any kind of mid-tempo music. I've just never gotten anything out of Hanyu's performances (the Chopin SP was mildly interesting), he looks and feels always the same. Sorry...

E

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Jason Brown's 2012 SP made me curious about the band who wrote the music

Bajofondo

Great electronic and latin music fusion.

They played at SXSW in 2013. Very cool.

El Mareo is one of my favorite songs ever. I think it was an iTunes free download years ago.

I've been hunting for a full video of Christopher Bruce's Ghost Dances ballet for years after seeing Stephanie Rosenthal's LP, but have only been able to find short clips on youtube :cry:

There was a novice(?) ice dance team that skated to Oich u agus h-iuraibh eile by the Rankin Family. I had to use soundhound to find out what they were skating to. I have the music now, but lost the video of the dancers and can't find it again :palmf:

Alissa Czisney and Tayor Pierce introduced me to George Winston and Paul Spaeth respectively.

Actually a lot of the music on my computer comes from figure skating...

amanuenssi

Rinkside
Thanks for the tip! However, most of it I knew already and I still think that the choreo could have been more innovative, using much more explicitly Japanese movement. I just feel that the choreo could have been skated to almost any kind of mid-tempo music. I've just never gotten anything out of Hanyu's performances (the Chopin SP was mildly interesting), he looks and feels always the same. Sorry...

E
I see, your point of view was not so much about the title of the thread "Programs that make curious about the origin", but about the difference between the introvert expression by Yuzuru Hanyu and extrovert expression by i.e. Ashley Wagner. So this will stay as an unresolving dilemma, because the viewers respond differently to these different ways of expression, none of which is better than the other.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I looked up Pina after Alaine's great SP last season - I confess I'd never heard about this choreographer before

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I see, your point of view was not so much about the title of the thread "Programs that make curious about the origin", but about the difference between the introvert expression by Yuzuru Hanyu and extrovert expression by i.e. Ashley Wagner. So this will stay as an unresolving dilemma, because the viewers respond differently to these different ways of expression, none of which is better than the other.

I watched the movies because I was curious about what the choreo was supposed to be about and its inspiration, ie origin. And did not quite agree with the interpretation of Hanyu and Bourne. ;)