Zijun Li: 'You will see the best of me' | Golden Skate

Zijun Li: 'You will see the best of me'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lack of stamina has been a constant struggle for China’s Zijun Li this past 2015-16 figure skating season. In September 2015, while skating to her free program in the qualification event of the Chinese National Winter Games in Ürümqi, China, she lost consciousness when the program ended and was carried out of the rink by her teammates. This was in part due to the high altitude which averages 2600 feet in elevation.

More
On the first day of March, in order to prepare for the upcoming World Championships in Boston, Mass., the student of Haijun Gao went to Los Angeles, Calif., and started what she referred to as “monster training” under Frank Carroll.

“The training was extremely tough, and I couldn’t follow at all in the first few days,” Li recalled. “There are many run-through practices every day. I always lost my stamina in the second half of the program, and could barely hang on. It was such a suffering for me at the beginning. Every day I felt like my legs were broken and found it difficult even to stand, but Frank was very strict and asked me to carry on.”

Wishing this lovely skater luck next season! Maybe a few weeks in Colorado Springs before the GP?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That would be really challenging for Zijun. Last season, from the article, 2,600 feet was exhausting. The Springs have an elevation of 6,350 feet.

I am surprised that her training was that much less rigorous at home in the past than with Frank prior to 2016 Worlds. But now that she knows what is needed, surely improvement will continue!

Thank you for the nice interview!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I guess China has different aproach, but it was very clear during this season, that Zijun lacks stamina, so I'm glad her team tried to do something about it and train with Frank Carol on that aspect. :)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Thanks for the article. Aside for the great interview about Zijun, I think the new feature added as related info is a sensible and nice little touch. I love that.

Anyway, Zijun's SP at Worlds was lovely to watch. :love: Even though she could deliver moderately in the SP throughout the season, those were not like the magical performance in Boston. Obviously, her training in LA with Gracie Gold under Frank Caroll motivated her and was well paid off at the end of the season for her. (I don't know why such things didn't happen to Yan Han who had trained with her in LA for over a month :palmf:) I hope the whole new environment for her training can help her improve not only her techniques but also stamina to back up her plan.

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Lack of stamina has been a constant struggle for China’s Zijun Li this past 2015-16 figure skating season. In September 2015, while skating to her free program in the qualification event of the Chinese National Winter Games in Ürümqi, China, she lost consciousness when the program ended and was carried out of the rink by her teammates. This was in part due to the high altitude which averages 2600 feet in elevation.

Wishing this lovely skater luck next season! Maybe a few weeks in Colorado Springs before the GP?

I don't consider 2600 feet as "high altitude". Denver's altitude is 5280 ft and Colorado Springs is at 6000 feet.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I really want Zijun to have a breakthrough GP this year! She is a really lovely skater and I wish her the best in improving her stamina. It's definitely a weakness of hers, so I'm really glad to see they're addressing it.

It scares me to read that she lost consciousness after skating. Even at altitude...yikes. :eek:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It scares me to read that she lost consciousness after skating. Even at altitude...yikes. :eek:

Nan Song was carried out on a stretcher to a hospital after his LP at Colorado Springs 4CC. (He had not recovered fully from an illness earlier.)

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't consider 2600 feet as "high altitude". Denver's altitude is 5280 ft and Colorado Springs is at 6000 feet.

I noticed that too. 2600 feet hardly qualifies. CS at 6000 is obviously noticeable (I used to live there), but 2600 shouldn't be a problem for someone who is ostensibly young, healthy, and fit. Granted, this is not an educated medical opinion, but still. 2600 isn't much.

Anyways, quibbles aside, it sounds like Zijun is doing better and I hope the new training works really well for her.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well show me the good skating; talk is cheap lol. Here's hoping she gains her stamina but we will have to wait and see.

Spiral

Final Flight
Zijun Li is a very graceful skater, always such a pleasure to watch! I wish her every success.

But speaking of high altitude, I don't think fs competitions should be held in such places at all. I remember watching a world championship in Colorado Springs, with an oxygen machine by the boards, and I thought: "Why put skaters in such conditions in the first place? Don't they have enough to suffer as it is, what with falls and injuries, without making them compete at high elevation?"

I also remember reading a travel book where the author describes landing at an airport in high elevation and being warned by flight attendants to walk slowly, and those who didn't take this advice seriously felt really unwell. Granted, it was higher that Colorado Springs, but consider the difference between walking at a normal pace and delivering a figure skating program.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zijun Li is a very graceful skater, always such a pleasure to watch! I wish her every success.

But speaking of high altitude, I don't think fs competitions should be held in such places at all. I remember watching a world championship in Colorado Springs, with an oxygen machine by the boards, and I thought: "Why put skaters in such conditions in the first place? Don't they have enough to suffer as it is, what with falls and injuries, without making them compete at high elevation?"

I also remember reading a travel book where the author describes landing at an airport in high elevation and being warned by flight attendants to walk slowly, and those who didn't take this advice seriously felt really unwell. Granted, it was higher that Colorado Springs, but consider the difference between walking at a normal pace and delivering a figure skating program.

Last year at the U.S. Figure Skating Classic, the skaters were all huffing and puffing - and Salt Lake City is only at 4,000 feet. Colorado Springs is 6,200 feet. I think it was last year in SLC where Adam Rippon skated to Queen's " Who Wants to Live Forever" and they were praying he would make it through the program alive, let alone living forever! :palmf:

xiangfuzi

On the Ice
That would be really challenging for Zijun. Last season, from the article, 2,600 feet was exhausting. The Springs have an elevation of 6,350 feet.

I am surprised that her training was that much less rigorous at home in the past than with Frank prior to 2016 Worlds. But now that she knows what is needed, surely improvement will continue!

Thank you for the nice interview!

2600 feet is the average altitude of the city Ürümqi which makes no sense. The ice rink was built on the foothills of Tianshan Mountain with a elevation over 5400 feet.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I would like to see Zijun Li as a serious contender even if it means that it's going to be harder for my faves, China did not have such a good single skater in ladies since Lu Chen and they surely believe that she can come close to her success in the future. She has the skills just needs better conditioning and time.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Zi Jun hard-core training does wonders. Hope she becomes the iron butterfly she is meant to. Gogo stamina!!

andromache

Record Breaker
IIRC she didn't completely melt down in her LP at Worlds this year (which she usually tends to do because of the whole stamina thing.) I hope she continues to work to improve her stamina and gives us some LPs that are as lovely as her SPs!

I wonder what her regular coach is thinking in NOT giving her very rigorous training.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I wonder, don't skaters train their stamina through running, cycling or something else outside the ice? For example at an high altitude.

I would like to see Zijun Li as a serious contender even if it means that it's going to be harder for my faves, China did not have such a good single skater in ladies since Lu Chen and they surely believe that she can come close to her success in the future. She has the skills just needs better conditioning and time.

I agree with this. Women's figure skating would benefit from a Chinese skater fighting for medals. I like Zijun's skating and wish her the best!

Last edited:

rosy14

Final Flight
IIRC she didn't completely melt down in her LP at Worlds this year (which she usually tends to do because of the whole stamina thing.) I hope she continues to work to improve her stamina and gives us some LPs that are as lovely as her SPs!

I wonder what her regular coach is thinking in NOT giving her very rigorous training.

Apparently she is a difficult student , I mean, not always following her coach advise, too much confident in her innate very good qualities.