Best dressed singles ladies' skater | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Best dressed singles ladies' skater

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Akiko Suzuki, no question for me. Yuna and Kiira are close seconds, they always looked good but for me Akiko is the winner.

lappo

Final Flight
Yuna Kim, hands down. Whenever I watch her "Nessun dorma" exhibition I watch it twice, once for the glorious red costume and once for the skating. Same for many other dresses of hers.
Honorable mentions to Korpi, Suzuki, Czisny and Cohen.

gourry

Final Flight
Yuna Kim, Sasha Cohen, Nancy Kerrigan, Akiko Suzuki. It's hard to find dresses that I didn't like from them.
I also liked most of Laura Lepisto, Alissa Czisny, Zijun Li and Michelle Kwan's dresses.

It's really a personal taste, and it seems that I like kind of simple yet sophisticated style. Not a big fan of lingerie, weird cutouts, bondages(is this the right word?) or shredded strips assembly.
And for my taste, Mao Asada unfortunately had way too many series of chokers and coveryourbreastareawithsomanystuff dresses. Chen Lu also had quite a lot of empire waist dresses which in my opinion looked very unflattering during spins. Kiira Korpi's dresses were not really my taste but they were unique in a good sense.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Active: Anna Cappellini indeed. 2nd place Ashley Wagner.
In the past: Akiko Suzuki, Yuna Kim, Kiira Korpi, Alissa Czisny

Mao is well-dressed and some of her costumes are among my very favourites of all-time like Swan Lake costume or Madame Butterfly but there were few bad outfits too. I came across one of Mao dresses in skating fugly tumblr blog (ridiculous name I know!). While it's not genuinely fugly I agree that Bells of Moscow attire was a slight mismatch. Por Una Cabeza was bit ugly indeed if you look closely but I never cared for it because I was so mesmerized by Mao so it was meaningless. :love:

http://skatingfugly.tumblr.com/post/29910981536/from-maos-bells-of-moscow-routine-i-didnt

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I agree with everything Skateluvr wrote. I could have written what s/he wrote!

For fun, there is a little girl I've seen at a rink I skate at and have seen at Regionals who has impeccable taste already. All her dresses, even practice ones are gorgeous. Doesn't hurt coming from an extremely wealthy family. It's like I root for her just to see what dress she'll come up with next. Since she's underage I won't mention names or skate clubs or anything, but I just wanted to lightheartedly bring that up! Future fashion skating diva.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think my podium is Kira Korpi for Gold- she always looked fashion forward and immaculate.
Nancy Kerrigan gets all time silver because her dresses have stood up and her most Iconic dress from 94 LP is an international favorite. So many watched that Olympics and she was dressed perfectly I think
Bronze goes to another skater who represents Princess and that's Akiko
Pewter for Gracie who could move up.

Should we have a rotten tomato awards thread for worst dresses and career award? Too mean loll?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
My favorite dresses were worn by Yuna and Nicole Bobek. Whoever designed Yuna's dresses did a magnificent job select colors that worked for her skin tone. Nicole's dresses around her peak (1995) and for the remainder of her career were beautiful as well.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Should we have a rotten tomato awards thread for worst dresses and career award? Too mean loll?

Nah, that would just be bashing for the sake of bashing, which kind of goes against the spirit of goldenskate. :)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
A true natural beauty in the tradition of skating princesses. She was always lovely except when falling. But one can't have it all I guess.

Alissa Czisny is an absolutely beautiful skater. I have seen her in person on two occasions. Skate Canada in 2010 and Nationals in 2011. She was spectacular both times. Even when she fell at the end of her LP at Skate Canada, it was the quietest fall I've ever witnessed. She is also a very good performer who actually makes eye contact with the judges and the audience.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
My favorite Alissa dress( Alissa as Audrey Hepburn)

http://65.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyxg1c5UPA1r5ashao1_500.jpg

Without a doubt! In fact, she was the determining factor in my decision to attend Skate Canada in 2010. Alissa and the beautiful Cynthia Phanuef who I became interested in seeing when she dethroned my Canadian Wife Jennifer Robinson. Cynthia had a spectacular SP but, didn't follow it up in her LP and ended up off the podium losing to Amelie Lacoste. A skater who I was never able to warm up to. She just wasn't me cup of tea.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Miki Ando would top that list. Some of her outfits were straight-up vulgar.

I rooted for Miki in the past but there were numerous embarrassing costumes indeed. There were some that I liked - for example creamy - white dress for The Mission SP. I know that people called Cleopatra costume tacky (and I can understand why) but I don't mind it at all. Sotnikova pre-2014 was also known for spectacularly bad costumes.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Sadly almost all Russian girls haven't been showing much taste - Liza comes to mind immediately

This costume actually made me laugh. It's Tuk from 2015. My students actually called her "Snooky" from the Jersey Shore. ;) Fortunately, she performs like a Russian Diva. I wish she had called my Wife Maria B. who always looked spectacular and designed her own costumes. In fact, there are some Russian Juniors who have gorgeous dresses.

https://youonlylutzonce.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/gpf-8.jpg

Last edited: