Covering up/recovering from mistakes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Covering up/recovering from mistakes

Vash01

Medalist
RIskatingfan said:
I thought Sandhu definitely improved this season. His 4Cs LP peformance was an example and he showed it at Worlds too. Granted, he bombed in the jump departement in the Worlds SP, but it didn't affect his presentation that much, I thought. He still sold the program extremely well unlikely so many times in the past when he missed the jumps and would give up completely, just going through the motions. And the LP, despite the lack of quads, I thought he still skated pretty well. I'm looking forward to see if he will keep improving :)

I wouldn't exactly put Plushenko in the category of those who left mistakes affect his programs. It's not like he bombs all the time LOL But I definitely wouldn't consider him one of the best in terms of recovering. I think the only time he did that well was in SLC after the fall. If you had missed him falling, you wouldn't be able to tell by the way he skated the rest of the program. He seems to be a little better now. I wondered how he would deal with skating last in Dortmund after so many terrific skates, including from Joubert who was second and was the European champion. Yes, he was probably nervous, but he skated well despite the fall (that couldn't affect him much anyway because it was right in the end of the program). I thought it was an improvement.

I think Plushenko's problem has more to do with skating AFTER his main rivals. Happened in Minneapolis in 1998, in Nice in 2000, in the Olympics, in Europeans this year... When he skated before Yagudin he always seemed to do better than when he skated after.

The only times I have seen him absolutely bomb was at 1)2000 worlds- he was just 17 and had not matured yet; he tried to improvise too much after missing the first quad, 2)2004 Euro- I have to give him benefit of doubt because he had been skating with a knee injury all season. I don't think it was necessarily because he skated after Joubert. At the 2004 worlds he skated after 5 skaters that skated great and still delivered a great program. I believe he has come a long way from the 2000 worlds when he was just 17.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
guinevere said:
At the '02 Olys, both Sale/Pelletier (SP) and Bourne/Kraatz (FP) had obvious falls at the very end of their programs, and both incorporated them into the programs. I mean, I think just about anyone would know that the spills were NOT supposed to be there, but neither detracted from the program at all. As a dancer, I always appreciate skaters' abilities to cover up their falls :p

When I think of B&K's Olympic performance in 2002, all I can remember is that ridiculous fall at the end. She kept trying to get him to stay down to make it look like part of the program, which only made it look more ridiculous. It most definitely DID detract from the overall program impression. I felt badly about that because it cost them the bronze, which ended up being won by a guy who brought the sport of "Skate & Trip" to a new level (Margaglio). :eek: :D

But I do agree about Sale and Pelletier's Oly short program. The theme was, the lady is teaching her clutzy and unwilling partner to Tango, so for him to fall at the end on purpose would have been really cool.

Mathman:)

Kasey

Medalist
Vash01 said:
The only times I have seen him absolutely bomb was at 1)2000 worlds- he was just 17 and had not matured yet; he tried to improvise too much after missing the first quad, 2)2004 Euro- I have to give him benefit of doubt because he had been skating with a knee injury all season. I don't think it was necessarily because he skated after Joubert. At the 2004 worlds he skated after 5 skaters that skated great and still delivered a great program. I believe he has come a long way from the 2000 worlds when he was just 17.

Add the 98 worlds, when he was 15, adorable as heck, and SOOOOO determined to get that quad that he fell three times in the program! He's come a long way baby! :)

Kasey

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RIskatingfan said:
I would definitely include Alexei Yagudin, that was one of the things that made him such a fantastic competitor. Many times the program grew stronger and stronger and ind the end you completely forgot about the mistakes in the beginning! Sorry, having flashbacks of Europeans in Bratislava... :love:
One of the times when I saw Alexei fight back with everything he had was at the 2001 Worlds SP and then LP where he struggled during the whole program. He had this fierce look on his face that he was going to get through the program no matter what......and he did. Another person I see doing that is Sarah Hughes. She is a fighter.

Dee