Men's, pairs and Dance Career Costume award | Golden Skate

Men's, pairs and Dance Career Costume award

skateluvr

Record Breaker
men? I like classic. Gee I dunno. Any nominees with photos?

I liked John Curry, Toller Cranston, Brian B, Elvis, Yagudin and Kurt. I also liked early Johnny as a pro. He really looked stunning at times. I also liked some costumes of Timmy Goebel and early Evan. But which male deserves best? I dunno.

Amei

Record Breaker
Todd Eldredge, generally always pretty classy that would be timeless whether it was today or back in the day...Granted like most he does have a few costumes that screamed 80s/90s fashion.

gourry

Final Flight
Anna Cappellini and Meryl Davis(except Sochi SD costume. It was the only costume I didn't like from her....)!!! Always impeccable.:love:
Tessa Virtue also has beautiful dresses, but some of them were not really the most flattering fit for her and made her look a tad bit bigger than she actually was.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Todd Eldredge, generally always pretty classy that would be timeless whether it was today or back in the day...Granted like most he does have a few costumes that screamed 80s/90s fashion.

Todd's best "asset" was his Caboose!!!! Okaaaaaay ;)

andromache

Record Breaker
Thinking of men is difficult. Usually the "best" costumes for men tend to be understated, simple, classic, etc....which means they aren't memorable. Like Todd Eldredge, IMO.

Javier Fernandez usually has costumes that go well with his music and stay classy without being completely generic.

Moskvina's pairs are always impeccably dressed: Anton/Elena and Yuko/Alexander come to mind as very well-dressed pairs skaters who also manage to be memorable.

Aliona/Robin had some great costumes, but also some not-so-great. Still, at least they were memorable and interesting.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
men? I like classic. Gee I dunno. Any nominees with photos?

I liked John Curry, Toller Cranston, Brian B, Elvis, Yagudin and Kurt. I also liked early Johnny as a pro. He really looked stunning at times. I also liked some costumes of Timmy Goebel and early Evan. But which male deserves best? I dunno.

Yagudin had one really good costume, the MIM costume. I don't say the others were great.:rolleye:

Last edited:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Men: Despite the perpetual snigger from Dick Button by calling his costumes "flamboyant" (which irritated me no end), I always loved the way Alexei Urmanov was dressed, purely stunning IMO. I almost always like Michal Brezina's costumes too, and he carries them well.
I definitely agree with andromache about Aliona and Robin! Gordeeva and Grinkov were always lovely too. Astakhova and Rogonov are still very new, but the way they are going it is quite possible that they will be up in this category.
Dance: Anissina & Peizerat, Denkova & Staviski, Weaver & Poje.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For the men, Todd E. & Paul W.. I like understated & elegant.

I agree that Javi's costumes suit his program themes well. Ditto for Michal Brezina.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Yagudin had one really good costume, the MIM costume. I don't say the others were great.:rolleye:

I thought his Winter and Tosca costumes were great, I wouldn't give him a career award because he's got some mediocre costumes but I think he's had his fair share of good looking costumes.

As for best dressed I do like Javier Fernandez, they're usually creative, appropriate and well fitting. There's no weird ruffles or illusion mesh (*cough* Shoma). For someone more classic I agree with Todd Eldredge. I like Gordeeva/Grinkov for pairs and for dance I like Davis/White and Annissina/Peizerat.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
for men, i am not super picky BUT stay away from feathers, ruffles, illusion mesh.... I am sorry but NO. this being said, i appreciate Patrick's esqualo costume a lot ;) but my favourite of his is probably his 4 seasons 2013. Todd Eldredge was always very elegant.

For dance : I like the originality of Gilles and Poirier but back then, Usova and Zhulin looked like skating ballet gods... I loved their costumes....

Pairs.... sigh.... The one that I remember the most is Salé and Pelletier love story.... i just thought it was perfectly suited with the program (love story)

slider11

Medalist
Anna Cappellini and Meryl Davis(except Sochi SD costume. It was the only costume I didn't like from her....)!!! Always impeccable.:love:
Tessa Virtue also has beautiful dresses, but some of them were not really the most flattering fit for her and made her look a tad bit bigger than she actually was.

Agreed! Anna and Meryl had lovely costumes. I also have to agree that Meryl's long sleeve, pink, glittery Sochi costume was really NOT my favorite. I liked the pink silk, thin strapped one much better (US Nationals) but I guess someone wanted more of the Audrey Hepburn look. Tessa had/has lovely lines but her costumes never did much for me. It will be interesting to see how she appears in her return to competitive skating. Will Tessa pick more classical lines or really try to stand out. /she seems to be in great shape so I'm guessing that she will let it rock (esp if they do hip hop in SD).!

skateluvr

Record Breaker

That's sure classic but I think of men's singles not dance. Some may say Meryl and Charlie deserve nomination as a podium placement for a life time of nice costumes and I would agree. I guess it does not get any more classic than Charlie in a tux. I wasn't crazy about their Oly sd look at all- hated Meryl's dress. But FD was certainly in character for the war horse they chose.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker

His Winter sp Olympic Costume I think is the gold standard for iconic men's costume. No one forgot that perfect costume for one of the best short programs ever. Certainly under 6.0

Me thinks plushyfan is mad because Plushenkos will never live down some horrendous costume choices early in his career. Mishin must have awful taste. Plushenko was very flamboyant. Liza is plain compared to him. As he got older his taste improved drastically. But those earlier years oh my goodness!:eeking:

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
for men, i am not super picky BUT stay away from feathers, ruffles, illusion mesh.... I am sorry but NO. this being said, i appreciate Patrick's esqualo costume a lot ;) but my favourite of his is probably his 4 seasons 2013. Todd Eldredge was always very elegant.

For dance : I like the originality of Gilles and Poirier but back then, Usova and Zhulin looked like skating ballet gods... I loved their costumes....

Pairs.... sigh.... The one that I remember the most is Salé and Pelletier love story.... i just thought it was perfectly suited with the program (love story)

I agree everything above except Salé and Pelletier's costumes. I still don't get the too ordinary and bland costumes and even their decision to skate to the program at Olympics. They could've worn more beautiful dresses while depicting essences of the film such as the main characters' wedding dresses. I wished they performed to the Orchid program with the beautiful choreography and stunning dresses instead. However, considering that the Love Story program was a lucky charm to them, and the old American film's soundtrack was guaranteed to please the general audience mainly comprised of Americans, my opinion can be a minority view.

andromache

Record Breaker

I think Sale/Pelletier's costumes would be less memorable if they had worn the costumes in less memorable circumstances. They fit the film well, though.

I should also add that this comment has at least inspired me to rewatch the 2002 LP. While I'm firmly in the "Elena/Anton are my faves and deserved to win" camp, Jamie and David's program does give me a visceral, emotional reaction that is very enjoyable.