Men's, pairs and Dance Career Costume award | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men's, pairs and Dance Career Costume award

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Ruffles and feathers, depending on the skater and the programme, they can be lovely and fitting. The prime example is Johnny Weir, he wore them like he owned them! Just a few other examples here, I really loved them.
Misha Ge SP 2016, Rachmaninov Piano 2
Alexei Urmanov FP 1994, Rossini
Tatsuki Machida, FP 2013-2014 Firebird

Others can be disasterous, I have seen Lloyd Eisler wearing some pastel coloured ruffles matching those of Isabelle, that was.. um... :palmf: I don't think they would go very well with the likes of Maxim Kovtun, Max Aaron etc., for example.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
His Winter sp Olympic Costume I think is the gold standard for iconic men's costume. No one forgot that perfect costume for one of the best short programs ever. Certainly under 6.0

Me thinks plushyfan is mad because Plushenkos will never live down some horrendous costume choices early in his career. Mishin must have awful taste. Plushenko was very flamboyant. Liza is plain compared to him. As he got older his taste improved drastically. But those earlier years oh my goodness!:eeking:

Do you think I'm so narrow-minded? No, nothing to do with Plushenko's costume. I just don't think Yagudin was so well-dressed.

Plushenko started to compete in seniors in his childhood. You said those were awful and flamboyant because of Mishin. As Yagudin had awful costumes when he skated with Mishin. Did you forget Alexei was Mishin student, too.
I don't think Plushenko was really flamboyant. Plus when he became adult, after SLC his almost every costumes are black. Unfortunately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfzb3CTMawY - Evgeni Plushenko - all his costumes 1996-2010 (montage)

You don't like Plushenko's Godfather costume but that is the gold standard for iconic men's costume, too. He wore in two seasons and won almost everything in it. In that time he was on the top of his incredible popularity. That costume inspired thousands fan arts. For example https://twitter.com/akesato443/status/595568229478567938/photo/1 this is real! https://twitter.com/akesato443/status/595513107809574912/photo/1

http://chihiromangaart.tumblr.com/post/82876880145

https://twitter.com/chihiRomangaart/status/532782780220846080/photo/1 red Zhenya

https://twitter.com/chihiRomangaart/status/533280307244331009 gold Zhenya .

Many fans like his costumes. The tastes are so different.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I think Plushenko's flamboyant style has brought pleasures to the figure skating world while my taste is more drawn to Yagudin's style except this unbearable one. :palmf: I like his bolero costume the most among Plushenko's costumes. He was bright and shiny back then.

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I think Plushenko's flamboyant style has brought pleasures to the figure skating world while my taste is more drawn to Yagudin's style except this unbearable one. :palmf: I like his bolero costume the most among Plushenko's costumes. He was bright and shiny back then.

Agree. Maybe this is flamboyant for some people, but it's so fit to the gipsy music, the choreography, Plushy's perfect hand movements, his looks, his flowing hair. Awesome! This is the favorite costume of many Plush fans. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMlOauStH74

I wished [Sale and Pelletier] performed to the Orchid program with the beautiful choreography and stunning dresses instead.

Watching Orchid develop over the season, I thought that it never quite gelled for them. I think the choreography was too hard. IMHO it was a good choice to go back to the simpler and more straight-forward Love Story.

withwings

On the Ice
I agree everything above except Salé and Pelletier's costumes. I still don't get the too ordinary and bland costumes and even their decision to skate to the program at Olympics. They could've worn more beautiful dresses while depicting essences of the film such as the main characters' wedding dresses. I wished they performed to the Orchid program with the beautiful choreography and stunning dresses instead. However, considering that the Love Story program was a lucky charm to them, and the old American film's soundtrack was guaranteed to please the general audience mainly comprised of Americans, my opinion can be a minority view.

In my humble opinion, Sale and Pelletier's costumes were outstanding! Outstanding and extraordinary in their simplicity.

Also, if understand correctly, this tread is meant to be about costumes and costumes only. Though, as a response to your subtle bitterness, I would like to say, that for me, as a naïve figure skating fan, who does not know not know anything-and do not want to know anything!- about all the politics, and WHO IS NOT AMERICAN, and who loves Elena and Anton dearly, there was only one Gold medal- for Sale Pelletier.

petitebrie

On the Ice
I found this picture on the Chinese pairs fan blog which was linked to in the thread on Pang and Tong's marriage. I just love this minimalistic and sophisticated look. While I haven't really followed pairs, a quick look on Youtube suggests that Pang and Tong indeed tend to be immaculately dressed. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree everything above except Salé and Pelletier's costumes. I still don't get the too ordinary and bland costumes and even their decision to skate to the program at Olympics. They could've worn more beautiful dresses while depicting essences of the film such as the main characters' wedding dresses. I wished they performed to the Orchid program with the beautiful choreography and stunning dresses instead. However, considering that the Love Story program was a lucky charm to them, and the old American film's soundtrack was guaranteed to please the general audience mainly comprised of Americans, my opinion can be a minority view.

well, it's fine if we disagree ;) for me the costume was epic and memorable because it showed a different type of pair aesthetics in a world dominated by the Russian aesthetics. Salé and Pelletier not unlike their predecessors, Eisler and Brasseur made their mark with their completely different North American style of pair skating, which included costumes and music/choreography. Much more contemporary. Of course, for me, they were the sole gold winners of the event... and of course, with what happened, perhaps the costume was seen more often and was kept into our memories despite its plain look. However, I do believe that it was perfect for the music, the story yet elegant and well matched. I tend to prefer costumes that match both skaters in pairs, yet do look equally good on their own, which for me that was a good example of...

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ruffles and feathers, depending on the skater and the programme, they can be lovely and fitting. The prime example is Johnny Weir, he wore them like he owned them! Just a few other examples here, I really loved them.
Misha Ge SP 2016, Rachmaninov Piano 2
Alexei Urmanov FP 1994, Rossini
Tatsuki Machida, FP 2013-2014 Firebird

Others can be disasterous, I have seen Lloyd Eisler wearing some pastel coloured ruffles matching those of Isabelle, that was.. um... :palmf: I don't think they would go very well with the likes of Maxim Kovtun, Max Aaron etc., for example.

Personally I find that costume of Urmanov really ugly :slink: That ruff is way too much with that oversized, baggy shirt. It is something that died in the 90s not only in figure skating but also in casual fashion and I certainly do not yearn that. :biggrin: As for Machida I have mixed feelings ... it's bit daft but original. Misha Ge costume is the only one that I like. As for Johnny Weir costumes - often kitschy. This one with hair pies and tinsels was ridiculous as well as cringeworthy.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/ac1...Y/USATODAY/2013/02/07/xxx-s130125_216-4_3.jpg

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Personally I find that costume of Urmanov really ugly :slink: That ruff is way too much with that oversized, baggy shirt. It is something that died in the 90s not only in figure skating but also in casual fashion and I certainly do not yearn that. :biggrin: As for Machida I have mixed feelings ... it's bit daft but original. Misha Ge costume is the only one that I like. As for Johnny Weir costumes - often kitschy. This one with hair pies and tinsels was ridiculous as well as cringeworthy.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/ac1...Y/USATODAY/2013/02/07/xxx-s130125_216-4_3.jpg

totally agree with you here... misha : it works because of misha as well.. it wouldn't work on many costumes...

machida, i'd like parts of it very much... i'd let go some of the arm features :)

Johnny weir.. OMG.... that photo you put up.. it's like if a black cat had been put to fight with the beadazzler and lost the battle to it..

Urmanov tried to look like a prince charming on ice... it worked in the 90s ... and for him.. and only him.... too bad that for a brief period of my life i thought he was gorgeous.. but then puberty hit... and no.. thanks LOL

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Watching Orchid develop over the season, I thought that it never quite gelled for them. I think the choreography was too hard. IMHO it was a good choice to go back to the simpler and more straight-forward Love Story.

I also imagined many times what if they brought in their beautiful program, Tristan und Isolde to Olympics instead, oh wait...that's Richard Wagner. Admittedly, that could've been a harder choice.

In my humble opinion, Sale and Pelletier's costumes were outstanding! Outstanding and extraordinary in their simplicity.

Also, if understand correctly, this tread is meant to be about costumes and costumes only. Though, as a response to your subtle bitterness, I would like to say, that for me, as a naïve figure skating fan, who does not know not know anything-and do not want to know anything!- about all the politics, and WHO IS NOT AMERICAN, and who loves Elena and Anton dearly, there was only one Gold medal- for Sale Pelletier.

I didn't say anything about the judging controversies, nor the outcome. I loved their Orchid with a perfect package including beautiful costumes, which could be a great Olympic program for them over Love Story. I can't love the outdated (or let's say classic) and melancholic music nor the costumes although I like watching skaters performing to classic pop songs or contemporary music.

well, it's fine if we disagree ;) for me the costume was epic and memorable because it showed a different type of pair aesthetics in a world dominated by the Russian aesthetics. Salé and Pelletier not unlike their predecessors, Eisler and Brasseur made their mark with their completely different North American style of pair skating, which included costumes and music/choreography. Much more contemporary. Of course, for me, they were the sole gold winners of the event... and of course, with what happened, perhaps the costume was seen more often and was kept into our memories despite its plain look. However, I do believe that it was perfect for the music, the story yet elegant and well matched. I tend to prefer costumes that match both skaters in pairs, yet do look equally good on their own, which for me that was a good example of...

As much as I dreamed of non-Russian pair teams finally to win Olympic gold medals after the Russian dominance for 40 years, the outcome was not what I desired to watch. Although I became appreciative of the beauty produced by Russian pairs later, Soviet, Soviet, Unified team, Russia Russia...such too predictable outcomes were not an exciting factor to watch the discipline just same as ice dance in 1990s. I disliked hearing "They made a clean program because their program was blah blah" but at the same time, I wasn't sold by the program unfortunately. We can agree to disagree.