Rio declares financial emergency in Olympic | Golden Skate

Rio declares financial emergency in Olympic

sneakers

Match Penalty

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
This news IS shocking. The summer Olympics is planed to hold less than 2 months....:unsure:

Layback11

Record Breaker
:hopelessness:

It all seems hopeless, but let's remember that Sochi looked like a total disaster and the event itself still went off okay (except for the snowflake).

As a highly crazed Olympic geek, I look forward to them all year and it breaks my heart to read about all of these issues. :sad21:

MalAssada

Medalist
The same happened before the World Cup. They will manage to have a decent Olympics - Brazil has a habit of pleasing foreigners while ignoring its citzens. Really, it is what is coming after that scares me.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Nah, I am sure that it's still gonna happen. There are some political games in Brazil. They recently overthrown and impeached their president, and currently few political parties are fighting to take control over few financial streams. Most of this Olympics in Rio are founded by private investors. Rio city hall and Brazil government are giving away some superb land with prime locations for future juicy real estate development. I seen future plans for Barra cluster: few stadiums will be disassembled and removed to other cities can instead of gian parking lot they gonna build a big highrises with a lot of condos. A lot of money to be made their after Olympics. Government build good freeway there and new subway line. So it's good and perspective infrastructure-wise.
It will be done. Just a few touch-ups and big clean up. I checked it looked completed. However it won't be top-notch like in Bejing, London or OTT Sochi. It will be very modest. Nothing expensive, but although cozy and stylish. Few unfinished things here and there would be covered with fabrics and big posters. ;)

Zika thread is already at minimal as possible due to cold temps.
Local thugs are a threat tho. Getting mugged on the streets is super common there. Stay around the tourists zones or travel only with local friends whom you trust. If you have been traveling in other countries you probably aware how to act. Nothing especially dangerous or bad in Rio. It's a good city, low prices and especially dirt cheap for American-dollar travel too. ;)

I 99.99% sure it will be all right. With the usual amount of casual organizational screwups. :)

Last edited:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
The same happened before the World Cup. They will manage to have a decent Olympics - Brazil has a habit of pleasing foreigners while ignoring its citzens. Really, it is what is coming after that scares me.

Just like any other country. Hosting big events like this always brings inconvenience to locals. But all big infrastructure will be left afterwards. Building infrastructure has a multiplicative effect on return of investments ten years later or so. They build and extended few lines of subway, new freeways, pedestrians zones, modernized few thins like port, renovated airport a bit and similars, even tried to improve sewage systems in favelas. Not everything was too successful, but it's better than it was before. People will have better infrastructure and public transportation afterwards.

This is how it's usually are after every Olymlics. Horrible scary things about negative influence by Olympics are usually told by mass media of countries which desperately wants to get the next Olympics too... ;) Greece was damaged not by Olympics, but by economical limitations and quotas of EU. ;) Other than that Olympics and its heritage been great for any country and region where it happened. :)

MalAssada

Medalist
Thanks for the reassurance, Alexz. I really hope you are right, and the facilities are put to use after the Olympics end.

And by the way, for the thread, Rio has received 3 billion reais (a little less than a billion dollars) to finish the works. Hopefully there isn't more need of money in July.