Favorite Skating Costume of All Time | Golden Skate

Favorite Skating Costume of All Time

Layback11

Record Breaker
Costumes have been a trending topic on the forum lately, so I wanted to join the party with yet another thread!

This is going to be a bit difficult, I think, but: what is your single favorite skating costume of all time? (To make it easier, you can have one per discipline. :))

In my very short skating fanhood, it would have to be:

Ladies: Mao Asada, 2013-14 SP-"Nocturne", original version (a picture of her in that dress is actually my laptop screen :))
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/ISU+Grand+Prix+Figure+Skating+Final+2013+2014+cDxE6QvYD7bl.jpg

Ice Dance: Ilinykh/Zhiganshin, 2013-14 FD: "Black Swan"
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...russia-compete-in-the-ice-picture-id481246021

Men: Shoma Uno, 2015-16 FS-"Nessun Dorma", also known as "Leprechaun Rising" :biggrin:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...f_Figure_Skating_Final_Shoma_Uno_IMG_9419.JPG

Pairs: I actually don't have one. I haven't seen anything I thought was super memorable yet, so someone else can have mine until I find one ;)

JuliaHols

On the Ice
I think ladies would be Yulia's Schindler's List for me, for men....uh...Alexei Bychenko's Les Mis this year.
Ice dance...Tess and Scott's Carmen
And pairs I really dont know since i don't watch it much.
Lol they're all pretty recent

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Todd Eldredge's "First Knight" costume from 1996 Worlds - It's @ the Sports Museum @ the Boston Garden!
Fumie Suguri's "Jupiter" costume (navy blue/silver with some stars on it)
G&G - "Moonlight Sonata" costumes from 1994 Olympics
Meryl & Charlie's "My Fair Lady" costumes from 2014 US Nationals (I like Meryl's dress from that competition better than her Olympic dress for the same program.)

Last edited:

dreamsk8

On the Ice
This was way before my time but still I love the simple beauty of Peggy Fleming's 1968 Olympic green long sleeve dress. It is an iconic dress to me :luv17:

gotoschool

Medalist
For women: Either Mao Asada's Rach II costume at Sochi and Worlds 2014 (the deep blue reminds me of the fluidity of water and the ebb and flow of the ocean which I feel in the great emotion this performance inspires in me) or her
Bells of Moscow 2009-2010 costume ( (I love the contrast between the deep fiery red (blood and vitality) and black (death) since the musical composition was inspired by Rachmaninoff imagining himself being buried alive as a young man only 19 years old, the same age as Mao when she skated to it. I even like the choker that Mao wore because I think it was great at highlighting or framing her neck and face and it was attractive, dramatic and classy looking.

For men: Evgeni Plushenko Tribute to Nijinsky 2003-2004

Last edited:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Pairs: I actually don't have one. I haven't seen anything I thought was super memorable yet, so someone else can have mine until I find one ;)

For me, "Moonlight Sonata" by G&G ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY7HFPSmx8M&feature=player_detailpage) as iluvtodd says! To find this couple on youtube, i totally got into their beauty. :drama:
It seems that costumes cannot be independent from great performances. Most of memorable costumes are accompanied by briliant performances. :)

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
So difficult to just choose one, but I'll mention the first thing that popped into my head: Meryl Davis/Charlie White's 2010 OD costumes for their Bollywood routine. Very beautiful costumes and, from what I understand, both their costumes and choreography were prety authentic. I have rewatched that program many times and really enjoy it--and the costumes add to that enjoyment.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Yuna Kim's Kiss of the Vampire. Such a gorgeous and unusual dress.