2017/2018 Short Dance Rhythm Announced | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017/2018 Short Dance Rhythm Announced

slider11

Medalist
ugh...get ready for lots and lots of red sparkles and over the top eye make-up and facial expressions. And lots of bomm chucka lota-bum music that all starts to sound the same. sorry....not excited

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
if the shibs managed a waltz this season, why wouldn't they manage a fun latin dance... come on... seriously... this is an easier task for them than tango or waltz. They just need to be exuberant and fun !

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
I think the Shibs will NAIL this short dance. They're great at getting the crowd going... a fun, upbeat rhythm will be a perfect vehicle for them, I think! I also expect to see Hubbell/Donohue, Weaver/Poje, and Papadakis/Cizeron to have a lot of fun as well!

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I am happy because it is Latin American music which can heat things up and I could probably dance along at home while watching the Olympics.

However, I have a concern for those who are not speedy skaters who might have problems catching up with the music, and, which is more worrying, a lot of unnatural twisting, fondling and over-the-top facial expression.

And I don't know why every time when I think of Latin Music in Ice Dance, I think of the death glare of Fusar-Poli...

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
\
However, I have a concern for those who are not speedy skaters who might have problems catching up with the music

Then the best will rise to the top and the rest will . . . revisit Torino. (No, seriously, I don't think that will happen. I think it was a snowball effect from all the rule changes prior to 2006 combined with Olympic pressure).

In general, I find I'm often wrong when I make assumptions about which teams will be the best at something. Not one of the teams I thought would be great at the Paso was great at the Paso. And a few teams that I worried wouldn't be good were excellent. And often the very best teams are still the very best. Just because a style of dance isn't what they usually perform doesn't mean they can't do it. And when they do, they stand out, while teams that often skate that style, sometimes don't against the background of the larger field. Weaver & Poje's vs. Paul & Islam's waltz, this season, for example. I would have said the waltz was very much in P&I's wheelhouse and not at all in W&P's. But W&P's Blue Danube really impressed me. This is what I love about the short dance. It forces teams out of their comfort zone. Forces them to stand out within a required rhythm & style. It allows us all to see a team's versatility throughout their career.

Is there such a thing as a Latin program that isn't over the top? LOL. I think it's one of the joys of the genre. It's not subtle. You have to emote. Hence, the Barbara association.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
LOL Yes there was rather an epidemic of White Boy Hips last time around.

Well you know the Olympic season SD is ALWAYS going to be an upbeat "fun" rhythm/pattern to counter the tendency to Ingmar Bergmanesque levels of FD Uber! Trauma! Dramahhhhhhhhh! that teams seem to feel they need to do in order to win (they think it's Much More Artistic and Important or something silly like that). I would rather they had gone with a different set pattern than rhumba (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz),but it is what it is.

Let's hope they keep the sequins to a minimum this time around or yes I fear another splatfest a la Torino.

What do those misfortunate sequins have common with a splatfest though? :biggrin: I can't think of any logical connection here :scratch2:

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I bet there was a lot of talk before the 2001-2002 season that the Spanish rhythms would have been a detriment to Anissina/Peizerat and would have given Fusar-Poli/Margaglio an advantage (plus with FP/M beating A/P in the OD at the two previous Worlds would have bolstered that argument). Then we saw what happened.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I love Latin music mix, but have rarely seen ice dancers really good at that.

But I'm somewhat relieved the SD is not jive that I don't enjoy. The Jive OD for Nagano was a hot mess.

Gotta disagree there, I loved the Jive and still watch the '98 ODs occasionally, as well as the Swing combo ODs from the 2003-04 season.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Gotta disagree there, I loved the Jive and still watch the '98 ODs occasionally, as well as the Swing combo ODs from the 2003-04 season.

It's just my opinion, so you're of course entitled for yours. :) When a couple of people who also might agree with your opinion wished "Jive for 17/18 SD" on another place, my instant reaction to myself was "Oh, no.....", but didn't say it loud there. Except A/P's refined OD, I didn't enjoy other skaters' OD performances and outfits at Nagano. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching the dance on floor. I thought the ice dancers really tried hard to show off they were as much versatile as their performances to tango or others, but their such attempts didn't look successful to my eyes. However, ice dance is my least favorite discipline, so feel free to think my opinion otherwise. :) As you mention the 03/04 swing, I need to brush up my memory. V/M and W/P did pretty good at samba, so I don't worry about the 17/18 SD though.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
It's just my opinion, so you're of course entitled for yours. :) When a couple of people who also might agree with your opinion wished "Jive for 17/18 SD" on another place, my instant reaction to myself was "Oh, no.....", but didn't say it loud there. Except A/P's refined OD, I didn't enjoy other skaters' OD performances and outfits at Nagano. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching the dance on floor. I thought the ice dancers really tried hard to show off they were as much versatile as their performances to tango or others, but their such attempts didn't look successful to my eyes. However, ice dance is my least favorite discipline, so feel free to think my opinion otherwise. :) As you mention the 03/04 swing, I need to brush up my memory. V/M and W/P did pretty good at samba, so I don't worry about the 17/18 SD though.

2003-04 was a swing combo of jive, boogie woogie, rock 'n' roll, blues, and/or jitterbug... similar to '98... Winkler and Lohse even used one of the same pieces of music in their mix ("Stuff Like That").

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
2003-04 was a swing combo of jive, boogie woogie, rock 'n' roll, blues, and/or jitterbug... similar to '98... Winkler and Lohse even used one of the same pieces of music in their mix ("Stuff Like That").

Thanks for the summary. I'm gonna rewatch the whole World competition this weekend not only the ice dance but also pairs because I haven't revisited the event for a really long time even though the World champions are the same Olympic champions at Tornio. I hope this time my perspective can be changed on Navka/Kostomarov in ice dance and Totmianina/Marinin in pairs.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Thanks for the summary. I'm gonna rewatch the whole World competition this weekend not only the ice dance but also pairs because I haven't revisited the event for a really long time even though the World champions are the same Olympic champions at Tornio. I hope this time my perspective can be changed on Navka/Kostomarov in ice dance and Totmianina/Marinin in pairs.

I would have had D/S winning that competition as opposed to N/K. I can barely remember the pairs competition now, so I can't really give an opinion on that.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I do think N/K should have won the OD as they had one of the better ones that competition. I don't remember much about compulsories. However, I definitely would have had D/S win the FD.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I do think N/K should have won the OD as they had one of the better ones that competition. I don't remember much about compulsories. However, I definitely would have had D/S win the FD.

Yeah, my belief that D/S should have won is mainly based on the FD.