Yuna Kim: Best costume? | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim: Best costume?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yuna was not one of my favorites for costumes and frankly Imissed 2006-2009 really so the Olympics were shocking. I still don't get why Mao Asadas triple axels were not worth more. And I frankly did not get the point spread. I did not really love any of the top three ladies costumes though all fit the music and choreography.

Joannie was never a costume fave either. That incredible podium and still no costume I loved and say that is Iconic!!! While I was always a bit critical of Yunas lines the feet etc I have missed her. I thought every year ATS would show her evolving but skating is the past for her at a least for now.

But Yuna did have a long career and there were many many dresses and I wonder which dress is the favorite one of hers- whether you are an uber or just a regular fan? Users love every dress I know!!

I must go back and look. I personally think she was so thin and even rather gaunt upper body that they had to try to make dresses that were flowy and not super fitted. For me my favorite costumes were her Olympic comeback year by far. I was not crazy about the yellow sp send in the clowns costume because I didn't like that yellow mustard hue but it grew on me and it was flattering. I did love the variations of Her Lp dress. I also liked her Les Miz Dress she won worlds in very much. Grey is tough to pull off but she did. Yuna was so thin and muscled legs I think it was a challenge to bring out the best but as she aged the costumes got better as she filled out. I love they showed off her back as skaters have amazing backs- perfection really. Most models don't have that. My personal favorite costume was the final LP Adios Nonino dress. Elegant sleek flattering and fitted. Perfect length for her.

There were dresses I just never liked at all and her early dresses were usually too ornate for me. I find the Japanese over do the costumes too, but then my fave iconic dress was the Vera Wang gold Lp Nancy wore in 94. And best dressed as a career award as an eligible for me is Kiira and Nancy was a close runner up. And right now maybe NicoleBobek for Bronze. But then of course Michelle had many timeless dresses to choose from and several thought her Lyra dress was iconic Michelle. To be fair Michelle would have to be on my podium of career best dressed. People loved her Lyra dress and her Salome was so memorable. Similar was Taj Majal.

So Yuna had many costumes and she was often copied. After she won gold in that blue dress it seems every Japanese skater was in blue for the next two years. I suspect many will vote her Gershwin dress as favorite. It was certainly pretty and very bling. I think the back set the trend for hundreds of dresses. I actually also liked her Nessun Dorma dress for the shade of red. It's my fave ex costume of hers and I loved that emotional goodbye skate.

If one dress immortalizes the stellar career of Yuna Kim what would it be? It seems she's truly done with skating so we have all the costumes there will be to decide from . Nominate away!!! Which Yuna dress will win? My fave or yours?! maos longevity deserves her own thread too. I don't want to upset Maos legion of fans. Someone should start that thread as Mao has done it all. I can't even guess which would be the dress or outfit that stays in our minds when she's done. I think her body of costumes is already so vast. I'm lazy about cut and paste. These two skaters are inseparable. Each deserves their own costume thread. It is amazing what the top skaters get to wear!!! Such lucky lucky girls!!!

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
As much as I love Yuna, I don't get why so many costume threads here are dominant nowadays. While the topic is easier to talk casually during the off season, it is too repetitive to be honest. Ladies' costumes are on focus but men's and paired skaters' fabulous costumes are neglected in the trend. Ice dancers are fashion models on ice as some broadcast announcer said indeed like that. Pair skaters' costumes are rarely mentioned.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I had a thread where I lumped them all together. Certainly ladies is very glamorous. I'd love to see good feedback and posts on her costumes.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I think Yuna is/was one of the most consistently well-dressed ladies. Although I didn't like the program, her Kiss of the Vampire dress is really beautiful in my opinion. Additionally, I really like her James Bond dress, her Giselle dress, and pretty much all of them :laugh:

begin

Medalist
Yuna's Gershwin dress is, like, THE dress you'd want on an Olympic champion. She looked gorgeous that season.

Her final Miss Saigon dress is underrated, imo. In general, Yuna looked lovely in sleeved dresses. My favorite part of costuming is always how the end results look in motion and Yuna just always worked in sleeves. Must be those arms of hers.

sarama

Medalist
Yuna's Gershwin dress is, like, THE dress you'd want on an Olympic champion. She looked gorgeous that season.

Her final Miss Saigon dress is underrated, imo. In general, Yuna looked lovely in sleeved dresses. My favorite part of costuming is always how the end results look in motion and Yuna just always worked in sleeves. Must be those arms of hers.

I never thought about it, but you are absolutely right! With the sleeved costumes her arms are more highlighted, and the looser sleeves with a bit of movement (like for Send in the clowns and Les Mis) make her arms even more hypnotic than usual.

Tutto

Record Breaker
As much as I love Yuna, I don't get why so many costume threads here are dominant nowadays. While the topic is easier to talk casually during the off season, it is too repetitive to be honest. Ladies' costumes are on focus but men's and paired skaters' fabulous costumes are neglected in the trend. Ice dancers are fashion models on ice as some broadcast announcer said indeed like that. Pair skaters' costumes are rarely mentioned.

We are clearly running out of topics here and the off-season seem to last forever. Any fresh ideas?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I had a thread where I lumped them all together. Certainly ladies is very glamorous. I'd love to see good feedback and posts on her costumes.

Well, I feel like 5 or 6 costume threads have been created after the Worlds including your three threads on such topics altogether. I enjoyed your costume threads though. If you still need my feedback on Yuna's costumes, I'd say her dresses for Gershwin's Concerto in F blue, Bond Girl, Danse Macabre, El Tango De Roxanne, Hommage to Korea, Kiss of the Vampire, Les Miserable, Adinos Nonino....well, pretty much every costumes she has worn. :laugh:

We are clearly running out of topics here and the off-season seem to last forever. Any fresh ideas?

During the off season, a lot of people take a break from the forum, so I don't know what topic could draw people's attention much. I think any fun topic would be welcomed since not much people are active these days.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Faves: Homage to Korea, Les Mis, Bond, and Danse Macabre. Iconic: Gershwin Piano Concerto.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yes many people never saw the Nessun Dorma dress- her last ATS exhibition. It is stunning on her.

yuki

Final Flight
Homage to Korea (2011 LP) - stunning, one of the best skating dresses I've ever seen; I also love this version
Meditation de Thais (2010 EX)

Last edited:

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
I think of her less discussed costumes, these are my favorites:

1) Roxanne tango at All That Skate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qebK6CdGBco : Just the perfect combination of sexy and classy. Obsessed with the way the back opening is cut, the pattern of red and black sequences looks amazing in show lights, the fringe in the skirt.

2) Imagine program at All That Skate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La_NnvWiUnc : A skating dress that I would actually want in real life. Love the silhouette of the dress, the way the skirt is cut that you can see subtle blue layers underneath the white.

3) Homage to Korea at Worlds: It was able to convey hints of traditional Korean design without being costumey.

4) Finale dress at All That Skate http://www.korea.net/upload/content/editImage/Kim_Yuna_Farewell_Ice_Show_05.jpg : Love the neckline and just the perfect shade of pink for her. Gives me an excuse to include this amazing picture.

lappo

Final Flight
Homage to Korea (2011 LP) - stunning, one of the best skating dresses I've ever seen; I also love this version
Meditation de Thais (2010 EX)

I love almost all of Yuna's dresses and the two you are mentioning are among the best; I know that the Homage to Korea is filled with symbolism, but everytime I watch that program I cannot help to think how appropriate the Meditation de Thais costume (with the Korean words) would have been for it...
Back in topic, as I said before, i adore her Nessun Dorma and both the Olympic (2010) dresses...the one I never fully appreciated is the Giselle one.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i havent seen anyone mention this dress yet (probably because its not from a program) but i love it!!
#1, #2, #3 and in motion :love::love::luv17:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
When I talk about Yuna and her costumes one thing I always add before it, and it is her perfect lines for this sport. I have never met her in person, so probably if I had, I would think that she is very, very thin in real life. But on the ice she looked perfect. For me, there was never a skater before who had more perfect body for this sport than Yuna. Yuna is tall but not too tall (like Kostner for example), she has long legs but not unproportinally long. She has long, thin arms which look stunning on the ice. But she has lots of muscles espec. on her thigh, so, to me she never looked worringly thin.
This is important to mention because all of her costumes looked even better because of her perfect body.

Overall I'd say about her costumes that they are in general very well-cut, the designers always considered Yuna's advantages (like the long arms). The length of her costumes always looked perfect, never too low for example. The designers weren't really adventurous sometimes, they didn't take any risks - the only one was maybe SITC, and the first Miss Saigon dress. They designed rather conservative costumes for Yuna which I like.

Now I'll comment on her dresses she worn at her senior competitions:

1. El Tango de Roxanne: I preferred the one she wore at Skate Canada. The other dress is one of my least favourite she ever worn. I particularly dislike the red and purple combo, because along with black it looks a bit messy to me.
2. The Lark Ascending: Beautifully simple. I especially like the back part of it, and the colour.

3. Die Fledermaus: The blue one is nice on her, it just doesn't reminds me of the music - the lilac one did, though, but the extra feathers added below her neck were just a bit too much. I liked the colour.
4. Miss Saigon: The two-piece one is one of my least favourite costumes of her. It looks great from far away, and she has a nice figure in it, but..it feels like it is not her style. The other dress she wore later is nice, and it fits better to the music too

5. Danse Macabre: One of my favourites of her. The details are gorgeous and the high-neck part looks perfect on Yuna. Black is her colour!
6. Scheherazade: A really nice dress, very good for the music. I don't say it is amongst my 3 favourites, but it nice enough. I like the matching thing in her hair :)

7. Bond Medley: Another favourite of mine. I am a big fan of assymetric costumes. I think this dress looks like one of the most expensive I have ever seen. Maybe because of the little details which look expensive. It is unique and inspirational, a true classic. She looked very sexy in it, too.
8. Gershwin: It is a gorgeous dress, I think was the perfect costume for an Olympic gold. Not too much, not too little. The style brought back the classy, womanly elegant style of the 1920's, especially the art-deco back straps. I think it was definitely the best Olympic gold dress of the last couple decades.

9. Giselle: Lovely, balletic. A bit too mature looking. She looked very thin in that season and the two dark costumes made her looked more mature and even skinnier I think.
10. Homage to Korea: A beautiful dress, and looked very good on her. It is a very mature costume, I don't think she could have pulled it off two seasons earlier.

11. Kiss of the Vampire: Fantastic, it also looks a very expensive design. The bloody-neck part is amazing! And it look very good together with light blue.
12. Les Miserables: Although I am usually not a fan of grey, Yuna looked beautiful in that gorgeous dress. The cut is fantastic of it. The arms are very wise designes. The sparkling golden and silver details are stunning.

13. Send in the clown: Many, many fans didn't like it (for the first time at least). I immediately loved it, because it is so unusual, unique and the colour looks so perfect for Yuna who has black-hair and light skin. The arm cut made her look even more elegant. The sparkling details are brilliant.
The yellow colour looked by the way perfect with the background of the blue "Sochi 2014".
14. Adios Nonino: the all-black costume was very elegant, but maybe a bit too dark, even for Yuna. A tango costume requires some red or purple, imo. So looked her 2nd dress. It was very elegant, too, and I loved the purple part, but the best thing was how they designed it when she did the spins. Amazing. It was a costume only mature skaters can pull off, because of the conservative cut. It looked beautiful on her.

+ 1:
Imagine Sochi EX:
The blueish costume was so gorgeous, the cut was perfect. I loved it.

So if I have to rank it:

SP: 1. Bond 2. Send in the Clowns 3. Danse Macabre 4. Kiss of the Vampire
LP: 1. Gershwin 2. Homage to Korea 3. Adios Nonino 4. Les Miserables

Last edited:

Krislite

Medalist
My favorite is the exhibition dress for Tango de Roxanne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qebK6CdGBco

I wish that had been her dress for Adios Nonino.

My other favorite costumes of hers are from Kiss of the Vampire, Bond Girl, Danse Macabre and Homage to Korea.

The blue Gershwin dress is elegant, of course, but not quite as edgy or unique as the others.