Barra cluster:
2parqueaerea.jpg

1parqueaerea.jpg

3parqueaerea.jpg

05_velodromo2.jpg

07_centro-de-tnis-renato-sette-camara-prefeitura-do-rio-5.jpg

08_centro-de-tnis-renato-sette-camara-prefeitura-do-rio-5.jpg

EkGvFoW.jpg

10_piscina-de-aquecimento-estidio-aquitico-renato-sette-camara-prefeitura-do-rio-4.jpg

13_maria-lenk-renato-sette-camara-prefeitura-do-rio-4.jpg

14_mpc-e-hotel.jpg

Link:
http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/o...das-fotos.html

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Seeing these photos just makes me want to :cry: :cry: :cry:

I’m sorry, but I cannot get excited about the Olympics being held here. Because I have great memories of what used to be on that triangular outcrop of land:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f5/Jacarepaguá.svg/800px-Jacarepaguá.svg.png
http://imguol.com/blogs/53/files/2012/10/autodromo_rio1.jpg
http://www.nobresdogrid.com.br/site...na_Catarina/13_Arutodromo_RJ/jacarepagua1.jpg

The Autódromo de Jacarepaguá consisted of 2 circuits:

The oval circuit, known as the Emerson Fittipaldi Speedway, was home to the Brazilian round of the ChampCar series from 1996 to 2000.

The Grand Prix circuit (i.e. the twisty one), known as the Autódromo Internacional Nelson Piquet, was home of the Brazilian Formula 1 Grand Prix in 1978 and from 1981 to 1989. It then became home of the Brazilian Motorcycle Grand Prix from 1995 to 2004.

As is the case with a lot of circuits, there was also a shorter configuration for national and club races. At Jacarepaguá, the first half of the Grand Prix circuit could be by-passed by a 180 corner taking you from the pit straight directly onto the back straight. But, this circuit was not long enough to meet the minimum length requirements for international races.

The beginning of the end came in 2002 when Rio was awarded the 2007 Pan-American Games. Three of the venues were to be built on the site:

• The Arena Olímpica do Rio was built on top of Norte, the corner leading onto the back straight.
  • The Parque Aquático Maria Lenk was built on the outside of the final corner of the oval.
  • The Velódromo Municipal do Rio was built on the outside of the corner named after Carlos Pace.

Start of building work
After building work

In theory, you could use the oval to get from Carlos Pace to the back straight. But, although the Velodrome was built in a position that allowed the run-off area at Carlos Pace to remain intact, the position of the Aquatics Centre did not allow enough run-off on the outside of the final corner of the oval.

This meant that the whole of the oval, and the first half of the Grand Prix circuit, were no longer able to be used from the 2006 season. Only the Short Circuit could be used. And since this was not long enough to host international races, and there were no attempts to create an alternative way of completing the first half of the lap, the writing was on the wall.

The Rio de Janeiro bid for the 2016 Olympics centred around building the Olympic Park on the Jacarepaguá circuit site. So, when they were awarded it in 2009, it was the final nail in the coffin. The circuit finally closed at the end of 2012.

Here is a photo of the start of the final race held at the circuit before it closed, a Formula 3 South American Championship race:

http://www.correiodopovo.com.br/blo...oads/2012/08/166279_257046_f3_race_2_0001.jpg

:cry:

But for me, the following photos from early 2013 are the saddest. The site has been cleared, but you can still see the former route of the Grand Prix and oval circuits:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KyTxcqtJ3J0/USbEGWGikoI/AAAAAAAAEYg/vRkR9JCfdNc/s1600/jacafim.jpg
https://lucmonteiro.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/jacarepagua.jpg

:cry:

Here are some pictures and videos of the Autódromo Internacional Nelson Piquet in it’s prime:

Formula 1

Onboard Lap (1987: Satoru Nakajima – Team Lotus Honda)
1982 Formula 1 Race (British commentary)
Nelson Piquet winning the 1982 race
1986 Tyre Test report (includes interviews with Ayrton Senna and Nelson Piquet)
Ayrton Senna and Nelson Piquet posing in 1986
Ayrton Senna and Nelson Piquet shaking hands in 1986
Ayrton Senna on track in his McLaren Honda in the opening race of the 1988 season
Nigel Mansell on track in his Williams Judd in the opening race of the 1988 season
Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost posing with the McLaren Honda before the 1989 race
Ayrton Senna in his McLaren Honda during the 1989 race
Nigel Mansell on the way to winning the 1989 race on his debut with Ferrari
Nigel Mansell on the way to winning the 1989 race on his debut with Ferrari
Nigel Mansell winning the 1989 race on his debut with Ferrari

MotoGP

Onboard lap (500GP circa 2002)
Couple of laps from the penultimate race of the 1999 250GP World Championship (British commentary)
Post race coverage of the penultimate race of the 1999 250GP World Championship (British commentary)
Penultimate race of the 1999 500GP World Championship (Part 1) (Spanish commentary)
The penultimate race of the 1999 500GP World Championship (Part 2) (Spanish commentary)
Last lap of the penultimate race of the 1999 500GP World Championship [The late Norick Abe’s second World Championship race win / Àlex Crivillé winning his only World Championship title] (British commentary)
The late Daijiro Kato leading my fellow countryman Jeremy McWilliams, Marco Melandri and Emilio Alzamora during the final race of the 2001 250GP World Championship
The late Daijiro Kato celebrating on the podium after winning the final race of the 2001 250GP World Championship
Valentino Rossi winning the final race of the 2001 500GP World Championship ahead of Carlos Checa
The 3 World Champions for 2001 after the final round in Brazil – Manuel Poggiali (125GP), Valentino Rossi (500GP) and the late Daijiro Kato (250GP)
Post race coverage of the 2003 125GP World Championship race [Jorge Lorenzo’s first World Championship race win] (Spanish commentary)
The start of the 2003 MotoGP World Championship race
Valentino Rossi winning the 2003 MotoGP World Championship race
Héctor Barberá ahead of Andrea Dovizioso and Gioele Pellino in the 2004 125GP World Championship
The most successful Brazilian in World Championship motorcycle racing, São Paulo’s Alex Barros, on the factory Honda at the 2004 MotoGP round
Alex Barros embarrassing himself in Qualifying 2 at the 2004 Brazilian MotoGP
Celebrating on the podium after the 2004 MotoGP race – the final Motorcycle World Championship race to be held at Jacarepaguá – are Max Biaggi (2nd) Makoto Tamada (1st) and Nicky Hayden (3rd)

Incidentally, here are a couple of photos of the previous circuit on the site, the Autódromo Nova Caledônia, built in 1964:

http://www.almacarioca.com.br/imagem/fotos/rioantigo2/fotoa215.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jgscoJ28a...Q/wZbfphrpTFs/s1600/jacarepagua_72_doalto.jpg

I’ve never been much into the Summer Olympics anyway. So, while most people are going Olympics mad over the next 3 weeks, I will be remembering the good times of MotoGP at Jacarepaguá in the late 1990’s / early 2000’s.

In loving memory of the Autódromo de Jacarepaguá, 1977 – 2012

CaroLiza_fan

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Seeing these photos just makes me want to :cry: :cry: :cry:

I’m sorry, but I cannot get excited about the Olympics being held here. Because I have great memories of what used to be on that triangular outcrop of land:
CaroLiza_fan

LOL! When I read that my thougts were: oh they have destroyed a nice botanical garden and beautiful parks to enjoy and walk in. A ruined motor stadium in the middle of a city is not what I consider a loss ;)

Apart from that, I'm impressed with your dedication. Papers/net media should hire you to write columns for them :thumbsup:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
LOL! When I read that my thougts were: oh they have destroyed a nice botanical garden and beautiful parks to enjoy and walk in. A ruined motor stadium in the middle of a city is not what I consider a loss ;)

Motorbike racing is my first love, so for me it is a massive loss.

Although, I am the first to agree with those that it did not live up to the standards that are expected at circuits nowadays. I remember when Eurosport lost the Pan-European rights to MotoGP a few years ago, and Toby Moody was saying that he was proud that he had commentated on every single one of Valentino Rossi's races, and was LIVE at the circuit for all of them... except a few at Jacarepaguá, where they did the commentary from Europe. And that was because the facilities at the circuit were so bad.

When you look at the photos of the pit buildings, you can see how basic they are. What was needed was to build new pit buildings and modern commentary boxes. Not to close the place down and demolish everything.

The compromise was that a new circuit would be built 10 miles directly north of Jacarepaguá in Deodoro. But, there is no sign yet of it getting built. And I honestly doubt if it ever will.

What I can't understand is why they didn't leave the Jacarepaguá circuit intact and build the Olympic park at Deodoro.

If you look at Google Earth, the site that was earmarked for the new circuit is actually around the same size as the Jacarepaguá site. But, it looks like it is currently a nice park, and I don't approve of developing nice parks. Especially when they are located in massive conurbations.

Directly to the west of the proposed new circuit site, however, is a massive swathe of undeveloped land marking the edge of the city. The Canoe Slalom and the Shooting Range being used in the Olympics have already been built on the Eastern and Southern edges of this land respectively.

So, why not build the Olympic Park there on the undeveloped land in between these two venues? That way, they could have had the whole shebang on the one site, instead of having various sports dotted across the conurbation.

And the tradition of motor racing at Jacarepaguá would have been kept intact for generations of motorsports fans to come. :agree:

By the way, I have created a Facebook page based on my previous post. It can be found at:

In Loving Memory Of The Autódromo de Jacarepaguá, 1977 - 2012

And on there I have created an album containing all the photos that Google Earth have taken of the Jacarepaguá site between 2006 and now. There are 67 photos in total (too many to link to on here), and they are VERY interesting to see:

Death Of A Circuit / Birth Of An Olympic Park

Apart from that, I'm impressed with your dedication. Papers/net media should hire you to write columns for them :thumbsup:

I don't think I would have the dedication to work for a publication. Whilst I may seem to have dedication to these causes I believe in, I am far too easily distracted. And as a result my little projects, which should take about a week or so to do, normally take a few months!

That is why I have so much respect for Mrs. P. Like, she can manage her time to write her newspaper stories, moderate this forum, do her running, watch skating AND raise a family.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

CaroLiza_fan

alebi

Medalist
First finals today will be: men's cycling road race, men's team archery, women's epee individual, men's 60kg in judo, women's 48kg in judo, 10m air rifle women's, 10m air pistol men's, men's 400m freestyle in swimming, women's 4x100 freestyle, women's 48kg in weightlifting

Last edited: