Where to stay to enjoy both SA and Chicago? | Golden Skate

Where to stay to enjoy both SA and Chicago?

jinhamasaki

Rinkside
Any recommendations for what area to stay at to be able to enjoy both Skate America and what downtown Chicago has to offer? The Sears center is about an hour away from Chicago, so I was looking at areas about halfway between the two.

Edit: I will definitely rent a car for the duration of the trip.

Thanks!

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Hoffman Estates is way out in the suburbs. There is no convenient or quick way to swing between Skate America and downtown Chicago. If you want to spend half your day in Chicago and the other half at Skate America, that would be doable.

I would stay near the O'Hare airport or Rosemont area. That's halfway between SkAm & downtown. You can take the Blue Line straight into downtown Chicago. However, public transit from O'Hare to SkAm could be iffy, without a car.

If I were you, I'd just plan one day (maybe two) for dedicated Chicago sight-seeing, and just stay around Hoffman Estate for Skate America. Otherwise, you will be doing a lot of commuting.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Thanks! I was looking at Rosemont area. I will definitely rent a car.

Enjoy! Autumn-time in downtown Chicago is beautiful. My favorite time of year, in one of my favorite cities!

Too bad Hoffman Estates is way out in the sticks. :( I'll be downtown on Thursday night after the practices are over, seeing M83 & Shura play at the Aragon Ballroom. :rock:

winky97

Medalist
Enjoy! Autumn-time in downtown Chicago is beautiful. My favorite time of year, in one of my favorite cities!

Too bad Hoffman Estates is way out in the sticks. :( I'll be downtown on Thursday night after the practices are over, seeing M83 & Shura play at the Aragon Ballroom. :rock:

Wow, venturing to the Aragon! I am impressed by u!

winky97

Medalist
Thanks! I was looking at Rosemont area. I will definitely rent a car.

I would totally try to do downtown Chicago without the car otherwise parking will cost u $$$. Rose not has quite a few hotels in walking distance of the Blue line that will get u into downtown Chicago.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Is there anyone (female) attending SA who has already booked a hotel close to the arena in a room with two beds who is willing to share and divvy up the cost over 3 nights? I have found it difficult to book at a hotel close to the arena. I got my tickets late and I'm excited for the opportunity to attend, but having trouble with accommodations.

Let me know, and thanks! :)

Art&Sport

Medalist
Ok, since I needed to book and haven't heard back from anyone, I went ahead and booked at a hotel that is not within walking distance which I preferred.

Have a great time everyone who is going to Skate America this year!