Figure skating books? | Golden Skate

Figure skating books?

M

maxell1313

Figure skating books?

I was looking around on Amazon tonight and I put several FS books on my wish list, but I wondered which book(s) most people would consider to be absolutely essential and impossible to live without? Almost all the ones that were "encyclopedia" type books were rated very low and comments stated that a lot of facts were wrong or omitted.

Just wondering what people would recommend for figure skating fans.

S

Show 42

Re: Figure skating books?

Max, I am always looking up facts in my "The Official Book of Figure Skating".......it's coffee table size with a great picture of Michelle on the front........42

D

dlksk8fan

maxell-
I'm a figure skating book collector with over 300 books in my library, so list your wish list and maybe I can comment on the ones that might be of interest to you.

S

Show 42

........dlk......I am envious of your vast collection. Wouldn't it be great to have a permanent thread in our literary section dedicated to listing these titles for everyone's reference?

Hey Paula, Mods.......good idea, huh? :D 42

G

Goebel fan

dlk- do you think you could list the ones you have and commint on them.

J

Joesitz

I've asked a hundred times. Has Zhulin's book been published or abandoned?

Joe

D

dlksk8fan

Goebel fan-
that would be a pretty long list.

Joe-when was Zhulin suppose to publish a book? I haven't heard anything about it.

P

plum pudding girl

Wasn't Dick Button working on a book when he had the fall? I haven't heard anymore about it,since. I want Tai and Randy's book--but it is a little pricey for me, at present.

I wish we would see another spate of skating autobios--it seems to have tapered off again and I really enjoy these so much. I would like to read more about some older skaters-the chapter about Peggy and Tina Noyes was one of my favorites in the Brennan book.

J

Joesitz

dlk - From what I remember not too long ago, when judges were allegedly bartering on dance results, Zhulin was quoted somewhere as saying that, the USA and Canada do not know how to play the game. It was supposed to come out in a book. That book may have been abandoned.

Joe

D

dlksk8fan

Dick Button was to release a book last year but didn't. I haven't heard if or when it is going to come out.

plum pudding girl here is a list of skating biographys (new & old):

The Long Program Skating Towards Life's Victories-Peggy Fleming
Zero Tollerance-Toller Cranston
Ice Breaker-Rudy Galindo
To Catch a Dream & The Professional Years-Brasseur & Eisler
Torvill & Dean by John Hennessy & Torvill & Dean The Autobiography of Ice Dancing's Greatest Stars
Jumpin Joe The Jozef Sabovcik Story
All That Glitters Josee Chouinard
My Sergei Ekaterina Gordeeva & Sergei Grinkov
Donald Jackson King of Blades
Robin Cousins the authorized biography & Robin Cousins Skating For Gold
Wings On My Feet, Queen Of Ice Queen Of Shadows, & Figure Skating to Fancy Skating-Sonja Henie
Thumbs Up & As I Am-Elizabeth Manley
Forcing The Edge- Kurt Browning
JoJo Starbuck
Black Ice-John Curry
Orser A Skater's Life-Brian Orser
Scott Hamilton by Michael Steere & Landing It My Life On And Off The Ice
Peace & Love-Janet Lynn
Thin Ice-Jacqueline du Bief
On and Off The Ice-Dorothy Hamill
On Thin Ice-Maria and Otto Jelinek
Spice On Ice-Karen Barber & Nicky Slater
Triumph On Ice-Tara Lipinski
Heart Of A Champion-Michelle Kwan
Skate With Me-Barbara Ann Scott
Forever Two As One-Tai & Randy
Gold On Ice The Sale and Pelletier Story

There are more.

M

maxell1313

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> I'm a figure skating book collector with over 300 books in my library, so list your wish list and maybe I can comment on the ones that might be of interest to you.[/quote]

On my list so far, I've got:

~Figure Skating for Dummies - Kristi Yamaguchi, et al. (I heard this one was pretty good, regardless of title ;) )

~The Official Book of Figure Skating - Peggy Fleming, et al.

~COI: 25 Years - Christine Brennan

~Frozen Assets - Mark Lund, et al.

~The Complete Book of Figure Skating - Carole Shulman, Don Laws

~Passion To Skate - Sandra Bezic, et al.

~Queen of Ice, Queen of Shadows: The Unsuspected Life of Sonia Henie - Raymond Strait

And I already have Brennan's other skating books "Edge of Glory" and "Inside Edge". Should I get the 3 books from Toller Cranston? Or just get "Ice Cream"?

D

dlksk8fan

All those books are good except "Frozen Assets" by Mark Lund.

I would recommed all of Toller's books. He has such a way with words.

If you like to read about Sonja Henie I would get the book "Figure Skating To Fancy Skating Memoirs of The Life Of Sonja Henie" by Michael Kirby(who just recently passed away). The one you listed is good too. That one was written by her brother.