Stephen Gogolev | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Stephen Gogolev

Caustica

Final Flight
Thanks for the videos siberia82! Wow, I am so impressed. His short program would have been competitive in any senior competition. His free was a bit messier, but that 3A3T was a thing of beauty. Plus, his speed & energy are good, his posture/carriage is good, and he is simply engaging to watch. He reminds me a bit of a young Plushy in that sense (the fluffy golden hair also helps in this regard ^^").

Really hope he can stay injury-free, especially with all these quads!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Guys, please check the OP before worrying about videos or anything else. I am constantly updating it with links, articles, etc. to make sure all the latest info is up. Please and thank you.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Guys, please check the OP before worrying about videos or anything else. I am constantly updating it with links, articles, etc. to make sure all the latest info is up. Please and thank you.

but then.. when updating the OP, there is the simple fact that the thread will not be bumped.... so we either need to fetch it from down under or we don't know about the updates....

you are such a great OP updater but may I suggest that you post a mention that the new things are there so we see it in the flow of "what's new" or "new posts" on GS?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and of course... it can create discussion on the specific video

Here are my two cents on Stephen's SP :

Yup... hard fall on the 4s... got distracted and waxeled the 3a... BUT

to me, now this music and program works better.. (i'd still want another costume) but he is much more in synch musically than in the first outing and now I am convinced that this is a good program for him... I LOVE the last spin... look at in the donut his legs stays up before he catches it... and then the cool variation bringing everything down...

also the sit position is very nice.... good job Stephen... better luck in the LP

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
but then.. when updating the OP, there is the simple fact that the thread will not be bumped.... so we either need to fetch it from down under or we don't know about the updates....

you are such a great OP updater but may I suggest that you post a mention that the new things are there so we see it in the flow of "what's new" or "new posts" on GS?

The latest videos are also linked in the table of results. So you don't need to scroll far, just click on the relevant result. However I can do a post at the end of each competition if that's what you guys want. I am not sure what the point of an OP is if people aren't willing to read it. Especially one that is updated and organized.

Videos from 2017 Skate Ontario Summer Skate
SP: https://youtu.be/_V8bpDo25Bs
FS: https://youtu.be/a2T9j5HUXhA

He was 5th in the SP, 1st in the FS, and 2nd overall with a score of 227.94.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The FS scores were recalculated so Stephen's FS score is now officially 163.42 and his total score is now 227.94. So he's now 2nd overall. As a result, I don't think we'll see a podium photo posted because he was awarded the bronze medal last night.

icetug

Medalist
The FS scores were recalculated so Stephen's FS score is now officially 163.42 and his total score is now 227.94. So he's now 2nd overall. As a result, I don't think we'll see a podium photo posted because he was awarded the bronze medal last night.
Poor boys, I mean both of them: Stephen and Roman. Stephen hadn't got silver, Roman lost by just 0.15 pts...
On the other hand, it's a little bit funny that Stephen is too young to compete as a junior, but he can compete as a senior. OK, I know that for him it is the only reasonable solution, but anyway... it's funny.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The latest videos are also linked in the table of results. So you don't need to scroll far, just click on the relevant result. However I can do a post at the end of each competition if that's what you guys want. I am not sure what the point of an OP is if people aren't willing to read it. Especially one that is updated and organized.

Videos from 2017 Skate Ontario Summer Skate
SP: https://youtu.be/_V8bpDo25Bs
FS: https://youtu.be/a2T9j5HUXhA

He was 5th in the SP, 1st in the FS, and 2nd overall with a score of 227.94.

Thank you Mango. You rock!

Here is what I mean : the OP is super important because it collects everything so at any moment, we can go back easily (without searching in the thread) to the first post to see links of videos, articles etc... though when something is currently happening, it's nice to have the videos included here in the thread as we can discuss things as they arrive.

I think that considering that Stephen is so young, right now, there is less fangirling happening but it will come.. in 6-7 years LOL

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Poor boys, I mean both of them: Stephen and Roman. Stephen hadn't got silver, Roman lost by just 0.15 pts...
On the other hand, it's a little bit funny that Stephen is too young to compete as a junior, but he can compete as a senior. OK, I know that for him it is the only reasonable solution, but anyway... it's funny.

actually that's not quite how it works.

Stephen can compete as a junior nationally.... it is internationally that he cannot compete as a junior NOR as a senior....

he probably chose to compete as a senior nationally simply because he can grow his technical level and doesn't have to be limited by the junior rules. He also is able that way to get used to longer programs with harder content... but in a little while, he will be able to compete internationally as a junior, and I am sure that he will do so.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I love watching Stephen skate and hearing updates on how his training is progressing! Such a talent. I won't jump the gun and say he'll for sure be the next great Canadian men's skater, because as we all know, a lot can happen between the ages of 12 and 19, growth and puberty wise, but he definitely has potential to carry the torch one day. :yes:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Brian Orser talked about Stephen in an interview with a Russian reporter just before Rostelecom. From the translation: http://fs-gossips.com/brian-orser-hanyu-is-focused-on-winning-the-olympics/

Doesn’t the fact that now almost 10-years old children start to do quads sсare you?

– I have one of such skaters. He does all quads, including lutz, and he is only 12 years old. I guess, he said that he did his first triple axel three years ago. How old was he, nine?

But these jumps do not become easier for execution. What has changed? Technique? Or just light-weight boots?

– ... When I look at how my 12-year-old athlete works on combination of quad lutz and toeloop, I’m just puzzled, trying to imagine myself on his place. He even has no fear: just a jump, nothing special.

Can such jumping loads provoke early injuries? Much, of course, depends on how much the athlete is technical. My guy has good technique. He has a sports family, his parents were engaged in sports and understand it. Since the growth process at 12 years is in high gear, the athlete periodically has knee pain. But such problems are solved quite simply: we remove the jumping load and work on something else – steps, skating skills, choreography.

icetug

Medalist
I must say that I love the way Brian deals with Stephen's talent. Not pushing him, but progressively developing, as there is plenty of time to show to the world his skills. He's been winning all the competitions he enters, and it's such a pleasure seeing the boy on the top of the podium in senior men competitions. Hope it only encourage him to do his best in the future.
And his SP for this season suits him incredibly. Run, boy, run!