2016 JGP St Gervais Entries | Golden Skate

2016 JGP St Gervais Entries

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Entry lists have been published on the ISU page for the St Gervais JGP...

Last edited by a moderator:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I suspect there might be a substitution or two in the singles competitions... cos right now it looks like any "big name" that steps in could have an easy win... and get an early head start on JGPF qualification...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I suspect there might be a substitution or two in the singles competitions... cos right now it looks like any "big name" that steps in could have an easy win... and get an early head start on JGPF qualification...

Isn't Nicolas Nadeau a big name, tough? :confused: Or you meant ladies competition? Defeataing Nic won't be easy for sure, unless he bombs (but so can all other "big names"), but there's also Tomoki Hiwatashi. I do agree there will be some substitutions, I'm not sure, but I think Russia juniors didn't have their test skate yet. And Korea has to add his own competitiors.

I'm happy to see Kevin Aymoz & Lucrezia Gennaro :hap10:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alexia Paganini! YESSS!!!! And seeing that Eric Sjoberg is a sub, that still makes me excited because it means he intends to do the JGP Series. And I saw the videos on YouTube and also his results from Nationals. He definitely seems promising.

Seems like when Novices move to juniors, it's a big step because that's when you start to make your mark in a way. I cannot wait.....4 weeks left.....Oh wow I'll be close to go back to school by that time.

I remember last year during the first JGP of the season, day 1 I was in the car with my family driving 8 hours from where we were going for vacation to Nashville. So I was looking at the results on my phone constantly. And I kinda did it again while walking around Nashville the next day. Then a little bit more of that when helping my brother move into his dorm (While having shin splints)....ah let' see what memories will be formed this time.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Alexia Paganini! YESSS!!!! And seeing that Eric Sjoberg is a sub, that still makes me excited because it means he intends to do the JGP Series. And I saw the videos on YouTube and also his results from Nationals. He definitely seems promising.

Seems like when Novices move to juniors, it's a big step because that's when you start to make your mark in a way. I cannot wait.....4 weeks left.....Oh wow I'll be close to go back to school by that time.

I remember last year during the first JGP of the season, day 1 I was in the car with my family driving 8 hours from where we were going for vacation to Nashville. So I was looking at the results on my phone constantly. And I kinda did it again while walking around Nashville the next day. Then a little bit more of that when helping my brother move into his dorm (While having shin splints)....ah let' see what memories will be formed this time.

Does your brother go to Vanderbilt? Or Belmont? I have a lot of friends in Nashville and we have a few Nashville natives here!

Anyway, it's exiting to see the full list after seeing the USFSA selections yesterday.

Seeing the Parsons and McNamera/Carpenter are subs, so that obviously confirmed what we all knew.

Also in men, Israel has NO entries despite earning two, which meant that Russia got an extra spot (and Korea could have too, but didn't?).

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Isn't Nicolas Nadeau a big name, tough? :confused: Or you meant ladies competition? Defeataing Nic won't be easy for sure, unless he bombs (but so can all other "big names"), but there's also Tomoki Hiwatashi. I do agree there will be some substitutions, I'm not sure, but I think Russia juniors didn't have their test skate yet. And Korea has to add his own competitiors.
Yeah, I was thinking if Marin Honda or Yuna Shiraiwa got substituted in for one of the Japanese ladies... but maybe Vincent Zhou for the men - would likely take at least silver and could challenge Nicholas Nadeau for gold?

tinnychan

On the Ice
Yeah, I was thinking if Marin Honda or Yuna Shiraiwa got substituted in for one of the Japanese ladies... but maybe Vincent Zhou for the men - would likely take at least silver and could challenge Nicholas Nadeau for gold?

Marin will go JGP Yokohama (as the local star:clap:) and Yuna Shiraiwa was injured (no triple jump in early July ice show) and maybe get later assignment. It is pretty sure both will not go France.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does your brother go to Vanderbilt? Or Belmont? I have a lot of friends in Nashville and we have a few Nashville natives here!

Anyway, it's exiting to see the full list after seeing the USFSA selections yesterday.

Seeing the Parsons and McNamera/Carpenter are subs, so that obviously confirmed what we all knew.

Also in men, Israel has NO entries despite earning two, which meant that Russia got an extra spot (and Korea could have too, but didn't?).

My brother goes to Vanderbilt. And he LOVES it. He took a totally different route from me.....and it all of the sudden just hit me even though he already finished one year........unlike me, which I go to college in-state and in the same county I grew up in, and I commute every day, my brother is out-of-state and dorming.

Well, Daniel Samohin is doing the senior GP and I don't know if there's any other up-and-coming Israeli men's singles skaters.

There could be logical reasoning behind why M/C and the Parsons are doing juniors again if they are. Again, though most likely they are, remember that Daniel Samohin got CoC last season but he decided to do the JGP instead (Which was a good idea IMO). Yes I know this is the reverse of what could happen, still, you never know. :shrug:

Julia Ru

Spectator
Russia's entries in ladies sound completely random. Are they placeholders? :scratch:
Russian juniors present their programs in early August. Then it will be clear who exactly will go to France. But obviously 2 of 4 stated girls/boys will represent Russia in St. Gervais. As for me, I want to see Stanislava:luv17:

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My brother goes to Vanderbilt. And he LOVES it. He took a totally different route from me.....and it all of the sudden just hit me even though he already finished one year........unlike me, which I go to college in-state and in the same county I grew up in, and I commute every day, my brother is out-of-state and dorming.

Well, Daniel Samohin is doing the senior GP and I don't know if there's any other up-and-coming Israeli men's singles skaters.

There could be logical reasoning behind why M/C and the Parsons are doing juniors again if they are. Again, though most likely they are, remember that Daniel Samohin got CoC last season but he decided to do the JGP instead (Which was a good idea IMO). Yes I know this is the reverse of what could happen, still, you never know. :shrug:

There is no logical reason for M/C to do Juniors yet again. At this point in their careers they should be pushing themselves but they don't seem to want to leave their comfort zone for some reason.:scratch2:

sk8dc

On the Ice
There is no logical reason for M/C to do Juniors yet again. At this point in their careers they should be pushing themselves but they don't seem to want to leave their comfort zone for some reason.:scratch2:

May be the other way around. As seniors, no grand prix and lost in the mix in the senior ranks. As juniors, lots of exposure and experience on the international circuit and a chance to make a different kind of statement.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
It's an interesting dance field here. Likely to be the most open event of the entire JGP. None of the three Junior World medalists, nor Shpilevaya & Smirnov, who finished top five. Essentially, it's Abachkina & Thauron at home vs. talented younger teams trying to make their mark, especially Carreira & Ponomarenko and Shevchenko & Eremenko. And probably as good a hope as possible for Kuzmich & Sinicyn (about whom I was obviously wrong as they clearly have one more season). If I was Russia, I'd send Shpilevaya & Smirnov here. No Parsons, no M&C, no L&D. This is likely as good as it's going to get for S&S. I don't know if they would be considered favorites against A&T at home and C&P, but--again--probably as good as it's going to get.

hanca

Record Breaker
Russia's entries in ladies sound completely random. Are they placeholders? :scratch:

They didn't give themselves big choice with the substitutes though. They could have nominated more substitutes if they thought that these two are only placeholders.

charmblade

Final Flight

I used to work at Vanderbilt, it's a beautiful place to go to school. And Nashville is super fun, I went to college there too.:hijacked:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I like how the USA lists so many alternates... gives us more clues.

What do we know about Maxine BAUTISTA? She is the 2015 Intermediate ladies champion but was 5th at Sectionals last year as a novice - so no nationals. Has she really been wowing people this summer? Seems interesting to make the jump to the ISP, and be a likely contender for a JGP spot when never even competing as a Novice nationally. I assume someone has seen something special so id love to hear about it.

Ashley Kim is another interesting name.... she has never been to nationals. Unless there is more than one... the one i am looking at shows her not having been to sectionals since 2012-2013 season.

https://www.statsonice.com/skater/Ashley/Kim/

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I like how the USA lists so many alternates... gives us more clues.

What do we know about Maxine BAUTISTA? She is the 2015 Intermediate ladies champion but was 5th at Sectionals last year as a novice - so no nationals. Has she really been wowing people this summer? Seems interesting to make the jump to the ISP, and be a likely contender for a JGP spot when never even competing as a Novice nationally. I assume someone has seen something special so id love to hear about it.

Ashley Kim is another interesting name.... she has never been to nationals. Unless there is more than one... the one i am looking at shows her not having been to sectionals since 2012-2013 season.

https://www.statsonice.com/skater/Ashley/Kim/

Ashley Kim won the Aerial Challenge at Broadmoor Open. She just competed at Skate Detroit and can do both a 3F-3T and a 2A-3T: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArV5dGDMVZ4 (FS video is posted by her dad). She's relatively young -- She turns 14 in December.

It looks like that Maxine also was at Skate Detroit, she apparently did the following in the SP: 53.27 Maxine Marie Bautista, DuPage FSC – 3T+3T, 3Lo, 2A. So a pretty competitive layout, but seems she struggled a bit in the the FS, Sylvia has more here: https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/

Also Maxine was 3rd at Midwesterns after the SP, but then struggled in the FS to drop in the worst spot -- 5th.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ashley Kim won the Aerial Challenge at Broadmoor Open. She just competed at Skate Detroit and can do both a 3F-3T and a 2A-3T: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArV5dGDMVZ4 (FS video is posted by her dad). She's relatively young -- She turns 14 in December. ...

More about Ashley Kim:

She also placed second in the Junior Ladies Combined Event at the Broadmoor Open.

At the time of the Aerial Challenge, I am 99% sure that she was not yet listed on the USFS ISP page.
I remember taking a look over there to check, because I was puzzled that she was not required to qualify for the Aerial Challenge (by earning a medal in the Broadmoor Open jump event).
I'm guessing Ashley's potential as a good jumper must have been known (or made known ;)) to TZ and Audrey Weisiger, and that they invited her to the Aerial Challenge on the basis of her reputation.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
May be the other way around. As seniors, no grand prix and lost in the mix in the senior ranks. As juniors, lots of exposure and experience on the international circuit and a chance to make a different kind of statement.

With the expansion of 10 Ice dancing teams teams per GP events and injuries to other teams M/C would have easily gotten 2 GP's this season. They were already guaranteed one based on what they did last season so they would have gotten lots of exposure. As it is now they will be turning Senior in the Olympic year and will really get lost in the mix where if they had moved up this season they could have gotten those first year Senior jitters out of the way.