Olivia Smart & Adrian Diaz | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Olivia Smart & Adrian Diaz

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Olivia and Adrian were the deserved protagonsts of this article of Spanish sports newspaper AS, about Spanish nationals. An English translation here.

The article was written by the spanish news agency EFE and that's good news, they sent a journalist!

Congrats National Champions!

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
On ice perspectives was really active in Montreal. They probably filmed all ice dance teams there :eek: Here are Olivia and Adria.

This is my first post in this fanfest, I have to confess that, as an avid fan of Sara & Kirill, I was not very fond of this team. But this season they won me over with their programs. Their Grease RD is amazing. And I also like their FD. (At the beginning of the season so many people laughed at their FD and ridiculed it on Twitter and as I've been always saying there's no better way to assure that I'll be a fan than when a skater gets a lot of Twitter hate.)

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Here is a translation of Serbian commentary. Much less total off topic, so I din't bold anything.

A couple who are hardly a podium contenders but still search for their chance and we’ll see what free dance the Spanish have prepared for today. Last year at the European championships they were 9th, so they hope to improve their placement.
It is a rather slow piece of music which of course allows them making a fewer number of mistakes. But the judges know as well that the more demanding piece of music is, the more serious and more fast skating transitions and the rhythm change are. But they are evidently aware of their possibilities and have chosen such a piece of music.
Today with me is my colleague Marina Sistov Milicevic. Marina, it’s a very original performance of this team. They were very brave to have chosen such a choreography at the edge of gala exibitions, I would say, especially in the end. But it is a beautiful performance and what is the most important, the audience enjoyed it.
- Yes, I think Spanish skaters have an advantage, though I didn’t want to emphasize it before. We have seen a little acting as well what is always interesting. And always makes a true enjoyment as far as ice dance couples are concerned.
- And we have seen on the way the creator of this couple’s magic. It is Marie France Dubreille, a famous Canadian skater who skated in couples’ discipline [they said this way in original, it can be confused with pairs’ skating if you don’t know], then she retired and dedicated herself to coaching. Because of her this couple lives and trains in Montreal. We mentioned Montreal during Grand Prix Series, and we will mention it during the World championships. The most of top couples live, work and train in Montreal. There is Canadian National centre there which accepts other athletes too, not only Canadian ones, of course under the certain conditions and the certain price. The centre has top coaches which live there. So the majority of couples who are not from Russia or haven’t decided to go to Italy, most part of the season prepare just in Montreal. This Spanish couple Olivia Smart and Adrian Diaz is one of them. Last year they had a good success at the European championships, they didn’t compete at the World championships. I liked them very much. They don’t have much of international experience, but working with Mrs or Miss Dubreille suits them and they have risen their dancing to a brilliant level.
- She is British and competed at the international level and in 2017 got Spanish citizenship.
- Adrian comes from Barcelona. He is the guy with who launched the whole story. Their compatriot Javier Fernandez told that in Spain before him this sport was not considered as professional at all. But a bit amateur, when winter comes and you go to the ice for a little skating with your company to have a good time. However his results have changed the Spaniard’s conscience of this very beautiful sport. Since the time he reached the top, there are many skaters, both female and male who want to go in for this sport. And he himself told that for him the only way to succeed was going to Canada and cooperation with Brian Orser in Toronto. Because he didn’t have suitable conditions in Spain at that time.
Yes, they are in the first place. But hey are the first couple whom we see and the couple with the best placement in ice dance discipline. Later we will a bit explain the rules which are totally different from singles’ and pairs’ skating, which have only their short programmes...

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Still trying to find time to translate the commentary…
Meanwhile Spanish FED made their decisión, Hielo Español just announced it.

Here the translation:

The FEDH has decided that the Spanish dance spot for the World Cup will be occupied by Olivia Smart & Adrián Díaz, as reported by the federation in a press release sent a few minutes ago. The text indicates the following: “After assessing the scores received by the two dance couples formed by Olivia Smart & Adrián Díaz and Sara Hurtado & Kirill Jalyavin in the Grand Prix of this 2019-2020 season, the Spanish Championship 2019 and European Championship 2020, the Royal Spanish Federation of Ice Sports has decided that the dance couple that can be more competitive in the 2020 World Championship is the couple formed by Olivia Smart & Adrián Díaz ”, explains Laia Papell, Technical Director of RFEDH skating. Spain only has one spot for this competition, so despite the high level of the two couples, it is not possible for both to attend the event. Therefore, the designated couple will have the objective of finishing in the TOP10 of this World Cup, a requirement that will allow Spain to have two spots in the form of dance couples for the world championship of the following season.

Congrats Olivia and Adrian!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am convinced after Skate America that this team is fantastic! How cool that Madison Hubbell is engaged to Adrian, too!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I hope they make it to the OG. I like their Spanish rivals too, but Olivia and Andrian have improved so much! Their FD is just superb.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I know these videos are awfully late (better late than never!), but I do have vids of Olivia & Adrian from CBC television's broadcast of the 2021 Skate Canada International with Tessa Virtue and Kurt Browing as the commentators. The duo's rhythm dance wasn't shown. (Please note that this is the only GP event which CBC aired this season.)

2021 SCI Free Dance Group 2 Warm-Up Clips (CBC TV 720p):

2021 SCI FD (CBC TV 720p):

Ktriplelutz

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I'm so glad they made the Olympic team. They have improved so much over the past few years, and I love that Madison Hubbell is engaged to Adrian. It never ceases to amaze me that like every good ice dancer except the Russians train under the same coach, but it's working for them.