tulosai

Record Breaker
So happy these two got Spain an Oly spot at worlds :cheer:

I hope they'll be able to use it...

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I hope they continue moving forward on their partnership. In the end they scored a lot better than H/K, and guaranteed a spot for Spain, which is really the best they could hope for.

nimi

Medalist
What was the problem with the lifts? and why they were not warned in Quebec? :mad:
:confused: :think: :confused:

Well, this is a thing that sometimes happen in ice dance. You get to a slightly bigger competition with stricter tech callers and suddenly something that your coaching team and previous tech panels thought was totally okay and allowed is against some obscure footnote to some rule or something.

ETA: Rewatched the program and read the protocols more closely and I think I know what might have happened. The video is a bit blurry so it's hard to say for certain, but I think that their choreographic spinning movement (https://youtu.be/GthoZfnbDOw?t=1m35s) inadvertently became a rotational lift because Olivia's skate was off the ice for too long. Therefore the actual stationary lift later on in the program became an invalid extra element, even though it received a level 4 (hence one point deduction).

What I don't understand is that if this really is what happened, why didn't the "accidental rotational lift" receive a level and didn't earn any points? Surely it filled the requirements for level 1 or something? Is there another rule about calling lifts that I'm missing?

tzazu

Medalist
I don't get it either, but now is the time for mending those mistakes, if they understand the reason:)

nimi

Medalist
What I don't understand is that if this really is what happened, why didn't the "accidental rotational lift" receive a level and didn't earn any points? Surely it filled the requirements for level 1 or something? Is there another rule about calling lifts that I'm missing?
Nevermind. I confused ice dance lift rules (minimum 3 rotations) with pair lift rules (minimum 2 rotations). Oops.

So yeah, because Olivia's skates were off the ice a little too long for the spinning move to remain a spinning move, but not long enough for the spinning move to become a lift that would fill the minimum requirements, they lost a whole element and got a deduction for an extra element. Ice dance rules, y'all!

We'll see whether they rechoreograph their spinning move or whether they keep it but just take more care not to do this mistake again.

tzazu

Medalist
Nevermind. I confused ice dance lift rules (minimum 3 rotations) with pair lift rules (minimum 2 rotations). Oops.

So yeah, because Olivia's skates were off the ice a little too long for the spinning move to remain a spinning move, but not long enough for the spinning move to become a lift that would fill the minimum requirements, they lost a whole element and got a deduction for an extra element. Ice dance rules, y'all!

We'll see whether they rechoreograph their spinning move or whether they keep it but just take more care not to do this mistake again.
Thanks for the explanation!:thank:

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Their FD 96,28. Total Score 159.4. 5th place.
In the race for the spanish spot at the Olympics, they are 4 points behind Sara/Kirill, not far away and they still have the Nationals. The race is not over!
Good luck!
http://bit.ly/2AqsHBq

Bcash

Final Flight
Wow that makes one nervous. I really like their look and their programs. Good Luck!

peepsquick

Final Flight
I am disappointed that S/D won't go to the OG. I like their SD much more than their FD but they are getting better and better. Too bad Spain cannot have 2 ice dance couples in Korea.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Olivia&Adrian won´t go to the Olympics. My heart is divided, I'm as sad for them as I'm happy for Sara&Kirill. But, if what commentators were saying is finally confirmed, Spanish FED is looking for a solution to give both teams international opportunities, so maybe, O&A still can go to Worlds. Not confirmed yet, but there's still hope.:pray:

pearly

Record Breaker
The fed said the team with more combined points from Golden Spin and Spanish nationals goes to the Olympics. Sara and Kirill have more points.