2016 Rio: Women's Football | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Women's Football

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I'm a bit disappointed that things didn't go well for USA, but all credit to Sweden.

The made the most of the opportunity, and deserved the win.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Congrats to Sweden(penalties), Germany, Canada and Brazil(also penalties)

Tuesday 16:
13.00 Brazil-Sweden
16.00 Germany-Canada

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
can someone explain to me why they made the brackets like that? I mean, Canada had Germany in their group.... so one would like to think that the first two teams of a group shouldn't meet before the finals? but no... ughh... beating Germany once fine, twice?? it seems a bit unfair lol :) they should send the 2nd best team of each group on the other side of the bracket no????

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Been a while since I posted in this thread, because I took a break from watching the football to follow my first love, motorbike racing. But, I’m back now.

I have to warn you, I am still a week behind. But, I’ve now watched all the matches I managed to record from the first 2 days of the group matches, and have also watched the final 2 matches from Group F.

Unlike the first few matches I watched, I am not going to do a long analysis of each. Let’s face it, it is nearly a week since I watched the Saturday matches! So, instead, here are a few of my thoughts on what I remember.

Germany v Australia. What a strange match! Australia got off to a great start when, 5 minutes into the match, Caitlin Foord was able to run past all the German defenders and pass to Sam Kerr, who scored.

At the very end of regular time in the first half, Foord scored to take Australia 2-0 up. But, just a minute later in stoppage time, Sara Däbritz got one back.

So, we went to half-time with Germany 2-1 down. But, the irony is that when you saw the stats, it was Germany that was getting all the chances. They had 17 shots compared to Australia’s 4. But, the difference was that only 5 of Germany’s shots were on target, whereas all of the shots that Australia had on target went into the net.

In the second half, this trend was reversed. Australia were the ones that were well ahead on number of shots. But, this time they were even in terms of shots on target, each having 4 on target.

Whilst I was glad to see Lena Gößling come on (I have always liked her), I was disappointed that it was Maroszan that was taken off. If it was me, I would have taken Popp off. Apart from the fact that I am biased because I have always liked Maroszan and have never liked Popp (she is one of the few Women’s footballers in Europe that I consider a dirty player), Popp had been given a Yellow card earlier in the match. So, leaving her on was risking her getting another one, and thus not being available for the all-important final group match against Canada.

I don’t know what was going on in the last 15 minutes or so of the match, but Almuth Schultt seemed to lose the plot a bit. First she tried to roll the ball to Josephine Henning, but she rolled it too slow and Sam Kerr was able to intercept it and take a shot (miles wide, mind you). There was also something else she did which I thought was odd, but I can’t remember now what.

It took until the last few minutes of the match for Germany to equalise. Popp took a free kick, and it was bundled it into the net by Bartusiak’s side.

Colombia v New Zealand was a hard fought match. Very physical, but not dirty.

During the first half, the referee got the yellow card out 3 times. But, there were many other times she didn’t take it out that I thought she could have. I think she got to the stage that she realised that it was just the nature of the match.

I am still not sure about giving the New Zealand captain, Abby Erceg, a straight red card 5 minutes before the end of the match. On the one hand, even before you saw the replay of the incident she got it for, you knew it was not even a foul never mind a sending off offence. Ariza was the one doing the pulling and tugging, and then decided to fall and threw in a bit of amateur dramatics to make it look like a foul. On the other hand, there were a few times earlier in the match when I would have given Erceg a yellow card. So, it may have been a cumulative thing.

The only goal came from Amber Hearne about half an hour into the match. There were four Colombian players (the goalie and 3 outfield players) in a straight line between Amber and the net, and somehow she managed to get the ball to go in between all of them when she took her shot. It was unbelievable!

Brazil v Sweden. What a match! Just a pity the BBC missed the first 10 minutes of it…

Brazil were in control of the whole match. It was a sort of a phoney war for the first 20 minutes or so, but the next 5 minutes were very dramatic. The ball went into the back of the net 3 times. And all of them were purely down to defensive errors.

Firstly, Beatriz scored for Brazil. The ball was in between Berglund and Lindahl, and it was like they couldn’t decide what to do. So Beatriz nipped through the middle and took a shot, which went in. A minute later, we had a situation at the other end where Schelin was able to put the ball into the Brazilian net without anybody near her. But, she was offside. Then, a couple of minutes later, Cristiane was able to slip the ball in between Berglund and Lindahl to take Brazil 2-0 up.

The third goal, not long before half time, was a penalty from Marta.

Whereas the goals in the first half were talking advantage of errors, the goals in the last 15 minutes of the match were pure class. The first was from Marta. Then, 5 minutes later, came another from Beatriz. Finally, Schelin put Sweden on the score sheet by out-running the Brazilians.

Moving onto the final day, and Australia did a demolition job on Zimbabwe. The BBC didn’t join it until 15 minutes in, so I missed the first 2 goals.

If you look at the Minute-by-minute statistics on the Rio 2016 website, it just tells the story of the match perfectly. Aussie flag, after Aussie flag, after Aussie flag. Apart from towards the end when they did get a few shots, the only times you saw the Zimbabwean flag was when they were fouled, or when they were substituted.

And one of the Zimbabwean players that had to be substituted was the goalie. Chido Dzingirai had a very hard fall on her hip, and was in absolute agony. The worrying thing is that her replacement, Lindiwe Magwede, had a very similar fall not much later, and she also looked to be in a lot of pain. But, thankfully, some cream seemed to do the trick.

The coverage of the Germany v Canada was even worse – the BBC only joined it 53 minutes into the match, as they were showing tennis and it over-ran (See, it’s not just Eurosport!)

Consequently, I can only judge it on the last half hour of the match. And Canada seemed to be in control. The goal they scored in this time was from Tancredi heading the ball in from a long free kick.

I have to be honest, with the way the two teams have been playing so far this tournament, I was not at all surprised at the result. Canada have definitely been playing better than Germany.

Going back to the present, and the run-up to the first of the Semi-Finals starts in about an hour and a half.

Over the next few days I will try my best to get caught up before the Final. But, because of the time difference, I know I won’t be able to watch it LIVE anyway. And there is another MotoGP round this weekend. So, it’ll probably be Monday before I get the Tournament finished.

CaroLiza_fan

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Sweden in the final tonight :hap93:

Defense-play against Brazil, like in the US match… with some good chances to score. Brazil attacking with many shots at goal, mostly from long distance though. 0-0 after extra time, 4-3 after penalties. Lisa Dahlkvist again shot the game-winning penalty. She’s so cool :thumbsup:

Lot’s of hugging after the match. Swedish players comforting the Brazilians. Many of them know each other so well, playing together in European clubs. At least Marta, Formiga, Christiane and Barbara , that I can think of, have played in Swedish clubs.

Canada in the final would have been fun and even more historical. Sweden have never won a medal at olympics. At championships Germany has beaten Sweden nine matches in a row. Germany have three olympic bronze medals.

Friday 19
13.00 Brazil-Canada (in half an hour)
17.30 Sweden-Germany

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
25 minutes: 0-1. Rose scores after Ashley Lauren building it up for her.

Tough for Brazil.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Tight match... but Canada won it's second women's football olympic bronze :clap: 2-1.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
So, Germany beat Sweden again :( Oh well, at least Sweden played well against the good and organized German women. Anyway it was an exciting match. Big achievement for Sweden to beat USA and Brazil on their way to the final. Redemption for the Swedes who have been to much mocked by journalists and others at home. Happy for them to win silver, though I really, really hoped for gold.

Congrats to
Germany GOLD
Sweden SILVER
Canada BRONZE

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i wonder what would have happened if they didn't mess the brackets.... Canada had such a tough road for a medal after winning their pool.... they beat australia, germany in pool play, france and brazil in medal rounds.... all countries ranked higher... only loss... germany in semis
So, Germany beat Sweden again :( Oh well, at least Sweden played well against the good and organized German women. Anyway it was an exciting match. Big achievement for Sweden to beat USA and Brazil on their way to the final. Redemption for the Swedes who have been to much mocked by journalists and others at home. Happy for them to win silver, though I really, really hoped for gold.

Congrats to
Germany GOLD
Sweden SILVER
Canada BRONZE