2016 Rio: Opening ceremonies | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Opening ceremonies

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone know of a live stream for the opening ceremonies? NBC sucks as usual and won't show them live. I think i watched the London opening ceremonies from the BBC but can't remember what stream i watched the Sochi opening ceremonies from.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Anyone know of a live stream for the opening ceremonies?
There are plenty of national public television channels that provide livestreams (the BBC has up to 24 at the same time!).
The BBC, the NOS/NPO in the Netherlands, probably the ARD/ZDF in Germany, and so on. They'll definitely be airing the opening ceremonies live.

The problem will be dealing with geo-restrictions. I myself can only see the streams on the NOS website. BBC and ARD don't work for me.

ARD/ZDF:
http://rio.sportschau.de/rio2016/live/index.html#FBM400D01eventlivestream2602

NOS/NPO:
http://nos.nl/rio2016/

BBC:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/rio-2016/schedule/2016-08-04 (today)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Here is an NBC live-stream for the Opening Ceremony:

http://stream.nbcolympics.com/nbc-day-0-primetime-et-ct?chrcontext=wdiv

(Seems they are granting 30 minutes of 'temporary access' before requiring a verification login. If you don't have one, I imagine there are ways to 'reset' your 30 minutes...)

Caveat -- b/c I think the OP wants a live feed of the Opening Ceremony in real time:

"NBC’s coverage of the Opening Ceremony will be streamed on the NBC Sports app and on NBCOlympics.com simultaneously with the local over-the-air telecast" -- per the NBC press release at the link in my previous post.

My interpretation is that NBC will be streaming it own telecast.
BUT (b/c of the slight time difference from Rio) I do not think that the NBC telecast necessarily will be showing a live feed of the OC -- at least not for the entire duration of the NBC telecast.

For example, the Opening Ceremony starts at 8:00 pm Rio time, which is 7:00 pm ET.
The NBC telecast does not start until 7:30 pm ET, and I think the NBC telecast prob. will want to show the beginning of the OC. So at least for a while, I think it is likely that the NBC telecast will be "behind" the live ceremony happening in real time.

Not saying that the NBC telecast will not be worth watching. It is probably what I myself will watch.
But if someone is looking for a stream that is all-live/all-the-time, I am skeptical that the NBC stream will meet that high bar.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Is this the official thread for the opening ceremony (or another NBC thread? :eek:hwell: )

I’ve read that this ceremony is going to cost a tenth of the London ceremony. It’s having a big heart with not that much high tech, but talking to the future generations about what needs to be done to save the planet. I'm excited :dance3:

No Pelé lightning the fire. My hope is for Marta!

MalAssada

Medalist
Is anyone watching? I wish it were someone speaking. The ceremony so far is beautiful, though. It seems they did something right.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am watching, it is about 10am here now

As always, the Aussies are dubiously dressed :laugh:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I kinda want S. Korea's anti-Zika outfits. They look so nice!

Micronesia has fun outfits! :biggrin:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Hmm US athletes look like they're wearing the Russian flag. But hey, it's such a step up from their past.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Saudi Arabia sends four women to compete doubling their last Summer Olympics total :mad:

Team Aruba!!!! :love:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh right I forgot they were showing on massive delay in the US

We're up to Rwanda in the live broadcast

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh right I forgot they were showing on massive delay in the US

We're up to Rwanda in the live broadcast

Of course....:hopelessness:

Team Australia looked amazing. I can't wait to see Poppy Star Olsen in 2020!!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Some boos for Russia :no:

Australian commentator Andrew Gaze sums it up: "Sometimes it's 'guilty by association', tainted with the same brush, and it's unfair."

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Some boos for Russia :no:

Australian commentator Andrew Gaze sums it up: "Sometimes it's 'guilty by association', tainted with the same brush, and it's unfair."

I can't wait to see Russia... in about an hour. :noshake:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The announcers said nothing at all about Kazakhstan. :|