2016 Rio: USA Women's Gymnastics Team Qual | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: USA Women's Gymnastics Team Qual

QMATTERS

Rinkside
Tomorrow, USA competes late afternoon to qualify for the team finals. The team consists of Madison Kocian, Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman, Lauren Hernandez and Simone Biles. Biles is practically a lock to qualify for the AA final. I am having a hard time swallowing what Marta Karolyi decided for the rest of the team which the list can be found on www.usagym.org that came out this morning. Lauren finished 2nd in the Olympic trials from July. Does she get to do all the apparatuses during the qualifications? No. She does three of them. Gabby and Aly will be competing for the 2nd spot for the AA final instead. I am not happy about this decision to deny Lauren for that opportunity. She is the artistic one as well as consistent. Gabby is the one who was not convincing me that she should be on the team based on how she did during the Nations and trials. Otherwise, go USA!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tomorrow, USA competes late afternoon to qualify for the team finals. The team consists of Madison Kocian, Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman, Lauren Hernandez and Simone Biles. Biles is practically a lock to qualify for the AA final. I am having a hard time swallowing what Marta Karolyi decided for the rest of the team which the list can be found on www.usagym.org that came out this morning. Lauren finished 2nd in the Olympic trials from July. Does she get to do all the apparatuses during the qualifications? No. She does three of them. Gabby and Aly will be competing for the 2nd spot for the AA final instead. I am not happy about this decision to deny Lauren for that opportunity. She is the artistic one as well as consistent. Gabby is the one who was not convincing me that she should be on the team based on how she did during the Nations and trials. Otherwise, go USA!

Yeah i don't understand that move either. Marta has created a dominate power by not being sentimental but by picking the athletes that give the US the best chance to win not going by reputation but if a gymnast is peaking which Lauren is and Gabby isn't.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Anyone know where I can watch the gymnastics events in Europe (Denmark, especially?)

Links to live streamning (even with required vpn) are appreciated...

Last edited:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
There was an NHK stream showing men earlier, but it only showed Japan...

(Should this thread be merged with the main WAG thread?)

momrk

Medalist
Country
United-States
Laurie did not look so sharp during podium training yesterday which played a role in the lineup decision- Aly looked terrific; Gabby was really solid as well

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've followed USA Gymnastics for some time. The thing to remember is this: The trials are when the team is announced. No one has any guarantee of event participation, simply that they've made the team.

Marta and her staff decide the team lineups based on how training is going, how they've performed in the past, the results of many mock-competitions in the practice gym...

The final decision is Marta's. And everyone knows this. Whether it is "fair" or not... that's up for debate. Whether Marta's judgement and the strength of her decisions are sound... that's not up for debate.

I've heard it argued by credible commentators that this ENTIRE team could be left home, and a next set of US gymnasts would still be competitive for the team gold medal. That's how good USA gymnastics has become under her leadership.

Edit to add: there is some gossip making the rounds that Laurie has a slight injury that might be effecting the decision. The rumor has been officially denied, but so-called-experts have wondered if that impacted Laurie's so-so (by her standards) podium training.

I personally hope she qualifies for beam final, as I think she does wonderful work there, and is certainly capable of a medal on an average day.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, it is important to remember that these athletes need to make the most of whatever opportunity they are given.

Case in point: Danell Leyva didn't even make the team originally. He was an alternate called in after John Orozco suffered injury.

Today, he qualified for event finals in P-bars and H-bar. He's a defending all-around medalist. He won't get that chance here, but after qualifications, he's in the hunt for three medals. Not bad.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
What I find funny is that Wang Yan is nicknamed potato and FS slang has potato refer to 4th place. :p

Also, is anyone else watching?

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
NBC stream people: Why are you not showing China on beam? :bang:

BBC stream people: Why is your stream not working? :bang:

Channel 7 people: WHY THE HELL CAN'T YOU PUT A PROPER BROADCAST SIGNAL INTO A MAJOR CITY

(My poor best friend can't pick up even a spotty signal...)

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Is there any stream available?

There's the NBC stream, which only works if you have an American cable subscription; and the BBC stream, which is not working and I'm trying to see if downloading Zenmate can help me get around it.

And according to FSU, there's one on sportsnet, which I can't find. :slink: