2016 Rio: USA Women's Gymnastics Team Qual | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: USA Women's Gymnastics Team Qual

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There need to be many reforms to gymnastics and one of the things has be abolishing the top 2 rule and allowing everyone to see the best compete against each other not pretending there's equal quality in the world.

I think, but I'm not certain, that the Russian champion is also left out of the AA because of the top 2 rule. This is exactly what happened to Wieber in London. Heck, she was defending World AA Champ at the time.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think, but I'm not certain, that the Russian champion is also left out of the AA because of the top 2 rule. This is exactly what happened to Wieber in London. Heck, she was defending World AA Champ at the time.

I think it's a problem that the third place finisher was left out. Douglas should be in the final. It's true about the third Russian but she was further down and I get that. I don't get removing Douglas.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Okay, so I ended up missing the majority of this group because my family went to the beach, I ran into some friends, and discovered that they were holding a beach party and invited my parents to it... :slink:

(I heard that Shallon's floor was good...)

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
And results! https://www.rio2016.com/en/artistic-gymnastics-womens-qualification-subdivision-5

TF Qualifiers: America, China, Russia, Great Britain, Brazil, Germany, Japan, Netherlands.

AA Qualifiers: Biles, Raisman, Andrade, Tukthalyan, Mustafina, Wang, Thorsdottir, Murakami, Onyshko, Seitz, Teramoto, Black, Lopez, Steingruber, L Wevers, Brevet, Saraiva, Shang, Derwael, E Downie, Vanhille, Ferlito, Scheder, Ferrari.

VT Qualifiers: Biles, Hong, Steingruber, Paseka, Chusovitina, Olsen, Wang, Karmakar.

UB Qualifiers: Kocian, Mustafina, Douglas, Spiridonova, Seitz, Scheder, Lopez, Shang.

BB Qualifiers: Biles, Hernandez, Saraiva, S Wevers, Ponor, Fan, Boyer, Onyshko.

FX Qualifiers: Biles, Raisman, Ferrari, Steingruber, Wang, Tinkler, Murakami, Fasana.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Happy Mustafina qualified for AA, sad she didn't for beam or floor.

Hoping Team USA continues to be strong for the finals! They are amazing.

When it comes to individual gymnasts though, I will def be rooting for Mustafina :luv17:

I'm not sure where to put this since there are no individual fan threads for gymnasts, but here is a recent interview with her (by Elena Vaitsekhovskaya):
http://rewritingrussiangymnastics.blogspot.ca/2016/07/no-regrets-aliya-mustafina-reflects-on.html

I love how she just speaks her mind plainly, but she sounds completely overworked and ready for the Olympics to be over! Gymnastics sounds even more rigorous than figure skating.

If you guys find interviews with other gymnasts, I'd love to read them :)

Last edited:

MalAssada

Medalist
I cannot believe I will get to see not only Biles, but Mustafina too!

And congrats to Saraiva for qualifying on beam!

thoakun

Final Flight
Does anyone know where I can rewatch the qualification? I missed the Orange Elegance

thoakun

Final Flight
I'm not sure where to put this since there are no individual fan threads for gymnasts, but here is a recent interview with her (by Elena Vaitsekhovskaya):
http://rewritingrussiangymnastics.blogspot.ca/2016/07/no-regrets-aliya-mustafina-reflects-on.html

I love how she just speaks her mind plainly, but she sounds completely overworked and ready for the Olympics to be over! Gymnastics sounds even more rigorous than figure skating.

If you guys find interviews with other gymnasts, I'd love to read them :)

There's a Youtube channel called thehardwaytosuccess documenting gymnasts's struggle to succeed. Gymnasts featured so far include Giulia Steinburger, the Wevers sisters, the Downie sisters etc.

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I imagine the Dutch ladies are throwing a party. Incredible result, qualifying for the finals as a team. Congratulations!:thumbsup:

Also hats off to the American ladies, that was spectacular.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
There need to be many reforms to gymnastics and one of the things has be abolishing the top 2 rule and allowing everyone to see the best compete against each other not pretending there's equal quality in the world.

Agree! And do the same with figure skating:cool::cool::cool:

Johar

Medalist
I feel Aliya Mustafina's(Russian) Floor routine in London was much more exciting to watch. But I'm still rooting for her! Last night I thought she was going to fall on a tumbling pass.