21New Zealand (NZL)0101
21North Korea (PRK)0101
21Philippines (PHI)0101
21South Africa (RSA)0101
29Greece (GRE)0011
29Poland (POL)0011
29Spain (ESP)0011
Total (31 NOCs)26263082

Unlike Day 2 when there were a lot of differences between the tables, the only major change on Day 3 is that Japan jumps from 10[SUP]th[/SUP] to 4[SUP]th[/SUP]. Oh, and Italy jumps up one place to 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]. Unfortunately, these changes drop Australia to 5[SUP]th[/SUP]. But, that is still a good position! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Lysambre

Final Flight
There's so much booing from the crowd in various sports whenever I watch from the TV. Is this normal?

We've also noticed that. To us, it makes it the worst crowd we've seen in recent years, and we watch many sports.

First thing my mother told me was : wow, I'm so glad that we don't have these kind of crowds in figure skating. Couldn't agree more.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
There's so much booing from the crowd in various sports whenever I watch from the TV. Is this normal?

We've also noticed that. To us, it makes it the worst crowd we've seen in recent years, and we watch many sports.

First thing my mother told me was : wow, I'm so glad that we don't have these kind of crowds in figure skating. Couldn't agree more.

We do have them in figure skating, unfortunately.

See this conversation that I started a couple of hours ago in a thread for a competition held at the weekend in Montreal:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-d%92%E9t%E9&p=1462216&viewfull=1#post1462216

:disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

Lysambre

Final Flight
We do have them in figure skating, unfortunately.

See this conversation that I started a couple of hours ago in a thread for a competition held at the weekend in Montreal:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-d%92%E9t%E9&p=1462216&viewfull=1#post1462216

:disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

Really bad form, but still major differences.
Small local competition vs. Major international event.
A couple of imbeciles vs. The whole crowd of a stadium booing.

It doesn't excuse either by the way.

charmblade

Final Flight
A Dutch cyclist avoids "serious" injury: http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/37005595 Well, for me concussin is a serious injury....

Honestly, after seeing her crash she is extremely lucky to not be injured worse. My husband (a cyclist) and I were watching live and we were both very concerned about the possibilities of what her injuries could have been. She hit the curb at a very awkward angle and didn't move for several minutes. It could have killed her, with the speed she had and the angle her body hit the road and curb. At the very least, she could have suffered severe brain trauma or paralysis. I know her recovery is still going to be very difficult and painful, but I'm just so glad she is not injured more than she is.

sneakers

Match Penalty
another gold for Italy in shooting
this has been a great olympics for them, I also predict they will win mens volleyball :hap10:

a bronze for Olympics debut of Maslennikov

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I was scared that she has broken her spine or something too. But just because she isn't paralyzed, doesn't mean she doesn't have a serious injury. They didn't title it as "A Dutch rider avoided death" or "career ending injury", as this was the worst possibilty, right?

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I'm really enjoying the women's rugby 7s. The atmosphere in the stands looks fun too. Also, watched the eventing for a couple of hours and that was great. Sad that W F-P is out of contention now though. Pesky run outs!

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Van Vleuten's crash yesterday was horrific. She had everything in her own hands. She did not need to take those risks on the wet roads downhill, she already had outraced her direct opponent and would easily have managed to keep that advantage. The worst part was not knowing if she was still alive, and how badly she was injured, that news only came much later. Those were some very scary long minutes.

The first Dutch gold medal should've been widely celebrated, but instead everybody has very mixed feelings about it. Now, 24 hours later, you notice people are finally starting to really feel good about it, because Van Vleuten's is doing relatively well.

We sure are doing well in the crashing department, though. One of our eventing riders also had a spectacular fall earlier today on the cross country course. The horse fell on him. Thankfully he was wearing a body protector vest.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
OMG... crazy basketball match to watch between Serbia and Canada (women)... have a look at the last quarter if you want to see the impossible happen.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
my favourite new sport is rugby 7 .... both women and men... women because the game is a bit slower so I can follow better as a newbie watcher.... and men, well because they are so hot ;) hahaha

will be tough for Canada to get the bronze which is too bad as we need a medal to create more interest in the country about it... it's traditionally not a popular sport in canada... unlike australia and new zealand... or even UK
I'm really enjoying the women's rugby 7s. The atmosphere in the stands looks fun too. Also, watched the eventing for a couple of hours and that was great. Sad that W F-P is out of contention now though. Pesky run outs!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the top 4-5 teams in women are very competitive...world cups and other tourneys are so exciting and well, the podium changes each time which is fun. and yes... i hope they keep this sport....i love it. i started following at the Panam games where canada won both men and women golds... but there was no europeans nor oceanic teams there... so not the same level... this one was hard fought...
Well done! Hope the GB squad work hard for the next 4 years (assuming it will be in Olympics again) and do one better!

liv

Record Breaker
I had never seen rugby 7s before and found it fast paced, competitive, exciting... a really good addition to the olympics. Quite proud of our girls getting bronze considering they lost to GB the first time they played. And, wow, these girls (all the competitors) are strong and fearsome, lol!

alebi

Medalist
another gold for Italy in shooting
this has been a great olympics for them, I also predict they will win mens volleyball :hap10:

a bronze for Olympics debut of Maslennikov

Gold in volleyball has been our max ambition during the last 24 years... Unfortunately this year the team is no way the strongest... but... If we have not won gold with the strongest team ever... we... maybe.... can... could..... ssssshhhhhh :scard8:

And first week is always the best week for Italy because we have fencing and shooting, where we usually win many medals. Till now some defections (men's cycling, women's sabre) but also a big surprise (gold and silver in judo), so a good start, very similar to London :)

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
The cycling course is one of the most dangerous I have ever seen.... That curb is too much high, on a slope covered by too many trees, so too much darkness and too much moisture on the road.... There's nothing right in that slope.... :disapp:
Spectacular has nothing to do with more dangerous.... :disapp:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I too liked to watch rugby seven. New sport to me. Never heard of it before. Looks really exciting to play.Thanks guys for the tip :)

Congrats to Australia, New Zeeland and Canada.

the top 4-5 teams in women are very competitive...world cups and other tourneys are so exciting and well, the podium changes each time which is fun. and yes... i hope they keep this sport....i love it. i started following at the Panam games where canada won both men and women golds... but there was no europeans nor oceanic teams there... so not the same level... this one was hard fought...

Mostly English speaking countries so far. But I’m sure the sport will be spread. Now an olympic sport will help.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
some of the canadian girls speak french :)
I too liked to watch rugby seven. New sport to me. Never heard of it before. Looks really exciting to play.Thanks guys for the tip :)

Congrats to Australia, New Zeeland and Canada.

Mostly English speaking countries so far. But I’m sure the sport will be spread. Now an olympic sport will help.