2016 JGP Yokohama Entries | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Yokohama Entries

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Men entries are impressive! Ladies and Ice Dance are not bad either :) But only one Japanese couple? They should be able to send three since they're host, right? :confused:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Men's sounds interesting! Ladies pretty good as well- should be a fun one. Zhou, Sadovsky, and Cha look most likely for the podium, though I can't tell what order.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Second entries due to unused spots:

Men - Russia (Israel only used 1 spot of their allotted 2)
Ladies - USA (Hungary was allotted 1 spot but didn't use it)
Dance - Canada (France only used 1 of their allotted 2 spots)

Surprised to see Kazakhstan with 2 ladies' entries again. They definitely earned them. Nice to see they're sending a bunch of young skaters out to get experience, since countries don't always do that even if they've earned the spots.

- - - Updated - - -

Men entries are impressive! Ladies and Ice Dance are not bad either :) But only one Japanese couple? They should be able to send three since they're host, right? :confused:

But do they have 3 age eligible teams?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Chemistry66, I did not thought they might not even have two...

Last edited:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I think Dmitri Aliev is better than any of them, when he's on. But of course, anything can happen.

Chemistry66, I did not thought they might not even have two...

Isn't Aliev an alternate? And why would Russia send him to consecutive events?

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
It will be held close to Tokyo and Marin Honda has made an entry, who is believed to be Japan's next top skater. Russia's Alisa Fedichkina is also listed as a substitute. She sprained her leg after leading the short at the ISU Junior Grand Prix Final, which was won by Honda.

That was Junior Worlds.

This is correct. Also at the Japanese national championships, Wakaba Higuchi finished second ahead of Asada. Unfortunately, there are only three spots for Japanese ladies to represent the country at the next Olympics and either Honda or Higuchi would be selected along with Asada and Miyahara, the reigning Japanese champion. Some other junior skaters like Shirakawa may have a chance to make it to the national team, too.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
It will be held close to Tokyo and Marin Honda has made an entry, who is believed to be Japan's next top skater. Russia's Alisa Fedichkina is also listed as a substitute. She sprained her leg after leading the short at the ISU Junior Grand Prix Final, which was won by Honda.

That was Junior Worlds.

Honda and Fedichkina went 3&4 at the Junior Grand Prix Final. (With Yuna Shiraiwa, my personal favorite among the young Japanese ladies, in 5th). Yuna finished behind Marin on the JGP & at Junior Worlds but four spots higher than Honda at Japanese Nationals and above her at the Colorado JGP as well. So I am very much looking forward to watching both girls on the JGP this season. So much talent among the young Japanese ladies. I think too early to anoint anyone as the "next top" skater. Hope to just enjoy all the talent among the Japanese junior ladies and see growth from each of them this season.

Axelsk8r

Rinkside
Looking at the ice dance field.... Wouldn't be surprise to see the French team going to Ostrava instead of Japan.... This is a stronger field. They won't come before Parsons and at least 1 or maybe 2 Russian team....:slink:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Looking at the ice dance field.... Wouldn't be surprise to see the French team going to Ostrava instead of Japan.... This is a stronger field. They won't come before Parsons and at least 1 or maybe 2 Russian team....:slink:
I think the don't want to compete in back to back JGPs, so since they're competing in JGP France, Ostrava is out of question. Maybe they will be reassigned from here to different JGP?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Entry change:

DANCE

Vira GORODETSKA / Mark NECHIPORENKO (UKR) have been replaced by Alexandra PLETNEVA / Yegor YEGOROV

I have noticed that nearly all the Junior Ukrainian ice dance teams have been reshuffled and newly paired up. That pretty much means they're all starting from scratch this year.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

At Ostrava they would face McNamara / Carpenter. If the French move Abachkina / Thauron to Ostrava, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Russians move Shpilevaya / Smirnov from Japan to Ostrava as well. IMO, S/S have a better chance of a silver medal than the French team.

Aside from McN / C, Ostrava is pretty weak and Russia is sending two young teams who may have a realistic podium shot. Take Abachkina / Thauron out of Japan, and maybe one of those young teams might have a shot in Yokohama.

I wasn't thrilled to see Carreira / Ponomarenko get their second assignment in Russia. They have a decent shot at a medal in Gervais, but their chances to get on the podium in Russia against three strong Russian teams seem pretty remote. I wish the US had picked one of the younger teams for this assignment---the rest of the field is quite weak, so a 6th-8th placement would have been OK for a team starting out.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I wasn't thrilled to see Carreira / Ponomarenko get their second assignment in Russia. They have a decent shot at a medal in Gervais, but their chances to get on the podium in Russia against three strong Russian teams seem pretty remote. I wish the US had picked one of the younger teams for this assignment---the rest of the field is quite weak, so a 6th-8th placement would have been OK for a team starting out.

There is only one "younger team" than Carreira & Ponomarenko. Shpilevaya & Smirnov aren't on the sub list for Ostrava.

Last edited:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Tarusina is good. I don't think that she should have priority over Gubanova but I can definitely understand it.

However, Fedichkina, Lozko, Gubanova, Nugumanova are all multiple tiers above Samudurova. I expect her to get replaced.

The Finn

Record Breaker
However, Fedichkina, Lozko, Gubanova, Nugumanova are all multiple tiers above Samudurova. I expect her to get replaced.

That is something I too have thought about it. I do think Samodurova deserves a JGP spot but since Russian Fed will give atleast one spot to Zagitova there might not be enough spots to give to all those who would deserve atleast one spot.

kalee

On the Ice
Tarusina is up-and-coming, but if Fedichkina is fit I'd love to see either her or Nugumanova take up one of the spots here. Since Marin Honda will be here, it would be great to have the Russians who can really challenge her.