2016 Rio: Golf | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Golf

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Golf starts today with men. 72 holes in four days. Women's starts Wednesday, August 17th.

The four world's best ranked men won’t participate. Some of them(all?) blaming the zika virus. Their hard competition schedule could also be a factor;) The only one I know who said straight out that golf doesn’t belong at olympics is Adam Scott(AUS). I will miss McIlroy(GB, Northern Ireland). Also disappointed that Phil Mickelson(US) won’t play, though I think that’s due to low ranking.

Hope Stenson(SWE) wins this, going into the competition with a good feeling after winning British Open :thumbsup:

Funny enough the women aren’t afraid of the zika virus. No drop outs that I know of. Haven’t seen women’s golf for years. Not out of interest, but because of lacking opportunities.

Exciting with a new course that no one has played before. I’ll follow what I can.

Good luck all with your golf and olympic experience!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Summarizing oly golf so far:

no money
no score cards
no qualifications cut
no cars for hole in ones(Justin Rose did an historical: 4th hole, par 3, 174 m, with an iron 7 :thumbsup:)

and no booing :yay:

Nice that the players are introduced with names and countries on first tee.

Marcus Fraser(AUS) still in the lead after two rounds. Never recognised him before :)

Fraser -10
Pieters(BEL) -9
Stenson(SWE) -8

Last edited:

dreamsk8

On the Ice
Its fun to see golf back as an Olympic Sport but it kinda doesn't fit in. I think it would have been better if professionals were not allowed to compete in it.
But still enjoying it:clapper:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Congrats to men’s golf gold medalist Justin Rose(GBR) :thumbsup:

His friend across the road Henrik Stenson(SWE) won silver and Matt Kuchar(USA) bronze.

Exciting competition until the last hole. Big enthusiastic audience who had to be educated: taking photos when players shoot... NOT!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Women after 3 rounds:

PARK Inbee(KOR) -11
KO Lydia(NZL) -9
PILLER Gerin (USA) -9

I have corrected my second post: the golfers get ranking points :)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Golf was OKAY. I watched some of it. You have to be super interested to watch it all. Takes a lot of time from other sports. Perhaps the golf tournament could start ahead of the actual games, like football did.

Congrats to the women

GOLD: PARK Inbee(-16)
SILVER: KO Lydia(NZL) -11
BRONZE: FENG Shanshan(CHN) -10

And I'm bothered about the course being built on a wildlife preserve. Don't know the full story. Just heard that the animals(capivaras, monkeys, caimans, birds…) being there were 'homeless' creatures searching for the forests or other places where they used to seek shelter.

https://www.google.se/search?q=anim...hUKEwjamNnLgtfOAhVE3SwKHSLmBv4QsAQIPQ#imgrc=_