2016 JGP St Gervais Ice Dance SD | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP St Gervais Ice Dance SD

charmblade

Final Flight
So I just got caught up and one totally weird thing:

Somehow THREE couples skated to a blues version of Seven Nation Army. How does that even happen. I could understand everyone picking a well-known blues song, but for even one couple to use a weird blues version of a rock song is odd, and yet three teams in one competition all picked the same song. I find that extremely confusing. :confused:

(And how do you think it feels to be a couple that watches two groups before you use your same music. You've got to be feeling kind of weird about going out there and making it no. 3)

Axelsk8r

Rinkside
Or you can take advantage of it and make a statement as the one really able to express the music... And stand out!

skatemd1

On the Ice
I like Parsons better. :)

I agree. Parsons/Parsons is my favorite and my pick for #1 spot this year. Can't wait to see them in a couple weeks. C/P skated really well in France and are looking strong for a JGP final spot, and of course M/C too are looking to repeat and should be great as well. So much depth on Team USA at Junior this year! Fun to watch all three. A real contest at the top this year.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I agree. Parsons/Parsons is my favorite and my pick for #1 spot this year. Can't wait to see them in a couple weeks. C/P skated really well in France and are looking strong for a JGP final spot, and of course M/C too are looking to repeat and should be great as well. So much depth on Team USA at Junior this year! Fun to watch all three. A real contest at the top this year.

Don't forget Pogrebinski/Benoit. I find them very different from other US teams and their edges are very deep, so who knows, maybe they'll be in it too.

Mattieu

Medalist
Don't forget Pogrebinski/Benoit. I find them very different from other US teams and their edges are very deep, so who knows, maybe they'll be in it too.

I think you'll find that Pogrebinski/Benoit are doing Seniors, as they are down for a GP

Snow63

Record Breaker
I think you'll find that Pogrebinski/Benoit are doing Seniors, as they are down for a GP

Oh. That's... unfortunate for them. I don't think they're ready for Seniors. But we'll see.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They won Lake Placid and have a GP slot.

But it s a big "ask" to go senior. OTOH If they waited a year, they, Parsons, and McNamara and Carpenter would all come on the senior scene at once. This may be there best shot.

Mattieu

Medalist

But it s a big "ask" to go senior. OTOH If they waited a year, they, Parsons, and McNamara and Carpenter would all come on the senior scene at once. This may be there best shot.

I totally agree dorispulaski, I just wish their programs were a bit more stand out :(

Snow63

Record Breaker

I don't know. Maybe it's for the better, but in my opinion they needed one more year in juniors. Damn, I think it would be better for everyone if they would have stayed juniors AND McNamara/Carpenter and/or Parsons transfered to Seniors. I still looking forward to see them this season, last season them and Abachkina/Thauron stood out to me from all the Igor's teams. And seeing how well Angelika progressed I would really like to compare them.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I don't know. Maybe it's for the better, but in my opinion they needed one more year in juniors. Damn, I think it would be better for everyone if they would have stayed juniors AND McNamara/Carpenter and/or Parsons transfered to Seniors.

That wasn't really an option for P&B though. They were scheduled to compete as juniors at the Chesapeake Open so whenever they made this decision for certain, it was late in the game. They had to already know that M&C and the Parsons had decided to stay junior. My guess is the possibility for moving up was presented after the other two teams had made a firm decision and the ISU decided they would open up the field on the GP to 10 teams. At that point, there was a good chance of one opening on the GP for P&B. Senior now or senior next season. Senior next season--they most likely would have come up as a number three team behind M&C and the Parsons. Highly likely no GP for P&B. Senior this season--they come up as the top junior team entering U.S. Seniors and have a chance to make a splash at an event like Lake Placid. (Despite scoring less overall there than M&C did with two fewer elements in a junior FD). Essentially, P&B have a one-year window they wouldn't have if they waited another season. Basically a year to make a statement on their own merit, with less of an impact on their season based on national comparison. There's really no benefit for P&B in being compared to McNamara & Carpenter. Better to get out there and get compared to the second-tier senior teams.

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
That wasn't really an option for P&B though. They were scheduled to compete as juniors at the Chesapeake Open so whenever they made this decision for certain, it was late in the game. They had to already know that M&C and the Parsons had decided to stay junior. My guess is the possibility for moving up was presented after the other two teams had made a firm decision and the ISU decided they would open up the field on the GP to 10 teams. At that point, there was a good chance of one opening on the GP for P&B. Senior now or senior next season. Senior next season--they most likely would have come up as a number three team behind M&C and the Parsons. Highly likely no GP for P&B. Senior this season--they come up as the top junior team entering U.S. Seniors and have a chance to make a splash at an event like Lake Placid. (Despite scoring less overall there than M&C did with two fewer elements in a junior FD). Essentially, P&B have a one-year window they wouldn't have if they waited another season. Basically a year to make a statement on their own merit, with less of an impact on their season based on national comparison. There's really no benefit for P&B in being compared to McNamara & Carpenter. Better to get out there and get compared to the second-tier senior teams.

Yes, I know all of that. But from all the US teams (except Carreira/Ponomarenko) they looked least Seniors and most Juniorish last season. That's why I think one more season in Juniors was critical for them. Not because of their scores, or comparisons to McNamara, or no major Junior titles. I honestly think that early transfer will hurt their long term perspectives (if there even were any). It's not about waiting for another season, it's about smooth and step-by-step transition, but they're making unnecessary leap.

Axelsk8r

Rinkside
I don't know. Maybe it's for the better, but in my opinion they needed one more year in juniors. Damn, I think it would be better for everyone if they would have stayed juniors AND McNamara/Carpenter and/or Parsons transfered to Seniors. I still looking forward to see them this season, last season them and Abachkina/Thauron stood out to me from all the Igor's teams. And seeing how well Angelika progressed I would really like to compare them.

You cannot even begin to compare Elliana to Angélique! Angélique is a more natural beautiful skaters...not in the same league at all

Snow63

Record Breaker
You cannot even begin to compare Elliana to Angélique! Angélique is a more natural beautiful skaters...not in the same league at all

Yes, I can. And I don't see why not, they were pretty much on the same level last season. This year I've seen Angelika and I can say that she looks much better than last season, so it's natural that I want to compare her progress to Elliana's. That's all.

As for the beauty, we're not talking about the beauty here. I think they both are gorgeous.

Last edited: