Alina Zagitova | Page 491 | Golden Skate

Alina Zagitova

EdRoz

Record Breaker
Yees, they have to be aware of that.... and even try to compete for other country, if Russia does not support Alina!! Poor Alina :sad21:
And also change the coaches, cause Eteri was never supportive, neither Daniil. :disapp:

Someone hacked madison

NataFoxxy

On the Ice
Btw, one of the things mentioned in that article implicitly - i don't know if people here have read it, but there was an article on sports.ru where some guy was proving(using math methods) that Alina was first and foremost underscored by judges from her own country at Olympics. So we can say that even judges from her own country didn't want to give her gold :) A win against all odds!

It wasn't judges by itself. It was TAT + Zhenya's manager + one more last name was on a list, sorry I forgot it. So, these people already had sponsor's contracts ready for Zhenya, but Zhenya had to win a gold to get it + all these people would get dividends %%%. They (TAT and K°) created Russian coalition of judges to make it happen (Judges are just a pawns.), but rest of the judges have different opinion. The world is ruled by money.

neusw

On the Ice
It wasn't judges by itself. It was TAT + Zhenya's manager + one more last name was on a list, sorry I forgot it. So, these people already had sponsor's contracts ready for Zhenya, but Zhenya had to win a gold to get it + all these people would get dividends %%%. They (TAT and K°) created Russian coalition of judges to make it happen (Judges are just a pawns.), but rest of the judges have different opinion. The world is ruled by money.

Wow I didn't know about this, although I guess it's expected for sports agents to have all these things lined up. Maybe that explains why Alina didn't get as many post-OGM sponsorships as you might expect.

Finley

Record Breaker
Wow I didn't know about this, although I guess it's expected for sports agents to have all these things lined up. Maybe that explains why Alina didn't get as many post-OGM sponsorships as you might expect.

My 'positive' spin on this is that it is for the best. After seeing what all the post Olympic attention and stress did to Adelina and Yulia (I know there were other factors at play) I wasn't terribly upset that Alina wasn't getting showered with endorsements and appearances. But it was still kind of .... ***?

And then Japan decided to step in and make everything ok with interviews, tv appearances, game shows, and puppies. :hap10:

Japan, the hero of the story!

zenskate

Final Flight
Oh, was that why TAT was so upset? :laugh:

I don't understand why Evgenia was such a favorite. Yes, she dominated everything, but it seemed that Alina was considered a strong contender going into the season and her victory was all but certain by Europeans.
For those of you fans who watched Alina pre-Olympics, did you think she was going to win? I only got into figure skating after February, so my information is from going through old threads and old videos.
My favorite was when Tara Lipinski predicted Alina, or at least someone like Alina, during 2017 Worlds. https://youtu.be/JRyl9ROnzec?t=5m18s :laugh2:

neusw

On the Ice
My 'positive' spin on this is that it is for the best. After seeing what all the post Olympic attention and stress did to Adelina and Yulia (I know there were other factors at play) I wasn't terribly upset that Alina wasn't getting showered with endorsements and appearances. But it was still kind of .... ***?

And then Japan decided to step in and make everything ok with interviews, tv appearances, game shows, and puppies. :hap10:

Japan, the hero of the story!

:thumbsup: Yup, I definitely think having a lowkey OGM experience is a blessing in disguise for Alina and helps her motivation for this season and beyond. It was just annoying from the perspective of a fan, but Alina's gotten herself even more fans from how cool and composed she's handled everything--from social media to official appearances.

neusw

On the Ice

I don't understand why Evgenia was such a favorite. Yes, she dominated everything, but it seemed that Alina was considered a strong contender going into the season and her victory was all but certain by Europeans.
For those of you fans who watched Alina pre-Olympics, did you think she was going to win? I only got into figure skating after February, so my information is from going through old threads and old videos.
My favorite was when Tara Lipinski predicted Alina, or at least someone like Alina, during 2017 Worlds. https://youtu.be/JRyl9ROnzec?t=5m18s :laugh2:

I've been following figure skating since 1996, so I've definitely seen this story play out before. It seems that in the Olympics ladies' event, the trend is almost always that the fresh young thing with technical brilliance beats the more seasoned favorite from previous years. The last time the older, mature competitor won (Arakawa) was a total surprise. All things being equal, and everyone performing to their abilities, Olys judges seem to prefer the young challenger. Last season, I thought it would happen by GPF and was obvious to me as soon as Euros results came out. The judges were willing to judge both Zag and Med on equal footing when both skated clean, and with Zag's tech it was clear who would win.

This is why the commentary at the Olympics was especially annoying to me, with sports commentators inexperienced with figure skating scoring saying after Med's skate (but before scores were posted) that they thought she should win, simply because she was clean and emotional. The BBC commentators were especially egregious :dev2:. Anyone who is used to seeing figure skating scoring would've known that Alina's very high FS score+Med's lower tech content+lead in the SP+general scoring trend during the season made Alina's total score essentially insurmountable. It's this kind of misleading and misinformed commentary that blows a controversy out of proportion. There is a huge difference to how an audience reacts when they hear: "Well, she did amazingly but it may not be enough because her competitor has a significant advantage." vs. "She did amazingly and that has to win. She's definitely done it." :palmf::sarcasm:

Finley

Record Breaker
:thumbsup: Yup, I definitely think having a lowkey OGM experience is a blessing in disguise for Alina and helps her motivation for this season and beyond. It was just annoying from the perspective of a fan, but Alina's gotten herself even more fans from how cool and composed she's handled everything--from social media to official appearances.

It's been a good journey to follow along with. I think it has made us more appreciative as fans. And I couldn't agree with you more about Alina being a wonderful role model.

(Not gonna lie. I was extremely annoyed by many 'injustices', perceived or otherwise, that seemed to be directed at Alina. But that is the life of a skating fan!)

zenskate

Final Flight
I've been following figure skating since 1996, so I've definitely seen this story play out before. It seems that in the Olympics ladies' event, the trend is almost always that the fresh young thing with technical brilliance beats the more seasoned favorite from previous years. The last time the older, mature competitor won (Arakawa) was a total surprise. All things being equal, and everyone performing to their abilities, Olys judges seem to prefer the young challenger. Last season, I thought it would happen by GPF and was obvious to me as soon as Euros results came out. The judges were willing to judge both Zag and Med on equal footing when both skated clean, and with Zag's tech it was clear who would win.

This is why the commentary at the Olympics was especially annoying to me, with sports commentators inexperienced with figure skating scoring saying after Med's skate (but before scores were posted) that they thought she should win, simply because she was clean and emotional. The BBC commentators were especially egregious :dev2:. Anyone who is used to seeing figure skating scoring would've known that Alina's very high FS score+Med's lower tech content+lead in the SP+general scoring trend during the season made Alina's total score essentially unsurmountable. It's this kind of misleading and misinformed commentary that blows a controversy out of proportion. There is a huge difference to how an audience reacts when they hear a commentator say: "Well, she did amazingly but it may not be enough because her competitor has a significant advantage." vs. "She did amazingly and that has to win. She's definitely done it." :palmf::sarcasm:

:agree:

I didn't understand why everyone who was in figure skating wanted to change all the commentators at first, but I completely agree with that now.

The only possible exception is Tara...her "new little one from Russia" comment will stay with me forever. :)

neusw

On the Ice
:agree:

I didn't understand why everyone who was in figure skating wanted to change all the commentators at first, but I completely agree with that now.

The only possible exception is Tara...her "new little one from Russia" comment will stay with me forever. :)
For me, Ted Barton and the British Eurosport guys are the only English commentators worth listening to. They’re knowledgeable and exceptional at maintaining positivity, appreciating every skater’s effort, and giving critique without passing judgement.

lusk8

Record Breaker
Wow - I didn't even recognize Alina in this picture. I wonder how long ago this was.

She had a picture with that same purse on her Instagram before she went on her cleaning spree deleting pictures, that would have been helpful to date.

I’m going to guess around 12 or 13 based more on Sabina’s size and looks than hers.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
She had a picture with that same purse on her Instagram before she went on her cleaning spree deleting pictures, that would have been helpful to date.

I’m going to guess around 12 or 13 based more on Sabina’s size and looks than hers.

Thank you.

caballe

On the Ice

The Eurosport commentators were even more spot-on.They actually meant Alina. Funnily enough after the same skate. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENz3_2ZF-JY&feature=youtu.be&t=6m10s