Article on 2004 Campbell's: Prize money, Kwan and Cohen confirmed | Golden Skate

Article on 2004 Campbell's: Prize money, Kwan and Cohen confirmed

R.D.

Record Breaker
"Cheesefest" no more? U.S. Figure Skating looks like they want these so-called "fluff" events to be taken more seriously by the skaters, so they've introduced $600,000 in prize money at the three events:

http://www.usfsa.org/event_story.asp?id=25870

Kwan and Cohen are also confirmed to participate at Campbell's, this year in Minneapolis.

Red Dog, do you know how much the skaters get in appearance fees, besides these prizes?

Mathman

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Red Dog, do you know how much the skaters get in appearance fees, besides these prizes?

Mathman

Appearance fees? No, I guess not, why?

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Appearance fees

The appearance fees vary from skater to skater and are based on their contracts (either for the season or by the event) with the USFS. I seem to recall a number of around $300,000 tossed around a couple of years ago wrt Todd Eldredge and Alexei Yagudin (this was for three events, iirc, so it would be $100,000/event). Of course, my memory could be totally wrong and it was $100,000 for all three events, but I'm thinking it was the higher number, because I thought -- WOW, that quite a bit of money. (It might have been that the contract also included some other appearance fees or obligations, too.) Anyway, I'm not sure if having the prize money will have any affect on the appearance fees, but I do know that these events all offered them. Offering prize money would be an added incentive to skate well -- but I never really thought any of the skaters "phoned in" their performances. None of them want to skate badly -- or appear on TV in an embarrassing competition.

Last edited:

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
Good for Michelle and Sasha! I wish I could go again, but I will get to see them both at Skate America. Let's hope they do fine! :)

IDLERACER

Medalist
Chump Change! Cohen has probably already made ten times that much as a plugger for Timex watches and the Texas Beef Council!

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I'm glad to see efforts to make these events more than "cheesefests"... in fact its always bothered me that they were percieved as less than a normal competitive event.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
skatingfan5 said:
Offering prize money would be an added incentive to skate well -- but I never really thought any of the skaters "phoned in" their performances. None of them want to skate badly -- or appear on TV in an embarrassing competition.
Perhaps it will be called the "Sokolova Rule"?

I only went to one Cambell's, last season's, and there were plenty of sub-par performences. I also gathered from what I read on line, that not all of the skaters were show on TV.

Unfortunately, both Fumie and Elena stick out as obvious "bombs", the difference being that without the jumps, Fumie was still interesting. Without the jumps, Elena has nothing to offer. Anyways, it was obvious that Elena was in no condition to be competing, and both Timmy and MK were still having boot issues. In fact, several skaters skipped the main season with injury but still did the "cheesefest" pieces. Was it just to show up and collect the paycheck?

Thanks for the information Skatingfan5. I have also read that Michelle at least has a separate contract with the television networks to appear, but I don't know if that means extra money on top of what is filtered through the USFSA or not. The reason that I asked about appearance fees was because, like Idleracer says, the prize money is not really enough to entice skaters to come who otherwise wouldn't.

I do think, with Berthesghost, that "showing up for the paycheck" plays a role. But then, too, why else would they do it -- just to skate and have fun?

Sasha and Tatiana Tarasova broke up last year ostensibly over the issue of whether Sasah would skate in the December cheesefest against her coach's wishes. In that case, though, I think it was more a question of Sasha and her family wanting to honor her comitment to the USFSA, rather than the money, that was most important.

Mathman

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Sasha and Tatiana Tarasova broke up last year ostensibly over the issue of whether Sasah would skate in the December cheesefest against her coach's wishes. In that case, though, I think it was more a question of Sasha and her family wanting to honor her comitment to the USFSA, rather than the money, that was most important.
I think it was also because the Cohens did not believe that she would bomb the way she did, nor that it would effect her in a way that would really screw up GPF.

euterpe

Medalist
The USFSA cheesefests have always been invitational events, and I think the international skaters consider being invited an honor (as well as a source of $$$). Most will attend if they can manage it in their schedule.

R.D.

Record Breaker
In that case, though, I think it was more a question of Sasha and her family wanting to honor her comitment to the USFSA, rather than the money, that was most important.

But she was obviously sick, and her poor performance showed it. IMO I think it might have been better for her to just skip it rather than skate sub-par like that. I think the coach was right here.

soogar

Record Breaker
Tim Goebel made a few comments to Spotlight on Skating concerning his injury and said that he should have sat out the fall Grand Prix season.

His quote:
"It wasn't just me wanting to do the events. Let's just leave it at that. I had obligations and I tried to fulfill them as best I could. Unfortunately, as a result of that I missed the last half of the season."

I'm not sure how I feel about the USFSA and its contracts with the skaters. Is the USFSA a pimp or an organization concerned about the welfare of its athletes? The main objective of the USFSA is to put skaters on the podium in international competition (according to its website). I think it's rather counterproductive to force your best skater (and best shot at a world medal/world medalist) to skate in events when he is injured. I think that if Tim took time off to get his situation organized, he definitely would have medalled at worlds (at least a bronze).

No one has seen anyone skate since the Worlds and the last cheesefest unless you count COI. I am hoping therefore we don't get a thread on PREDICTIONS where all the voters just list their favorites. The thread would be better served as Hopeful Outcomes . It really would make more sense since last years silly predictions were 70 percent wrong.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
It really would make more sense since last years silly predictions were 70 percent wrong.

Isn't that always the case? You really can't predict these comps. Yes, I kind of agree but I think it adds "fun" to the "off-season debate".

soogar said:
I'm not sure how I feel about the USFSA and its contracts with the skaters. Is the USFSA a pimp or an organization concerned about the welfare of its athletes? The main objective of the USFSA is to put skaters on the podium in international competition (according to its website). I think it's rather counterproductive to force your best skater (and best shot at a world medal/world medalist) to skate in events when he is injured.
Actually I think that sports organizations are expected to do a little pimping. That is, besides winning medals in international competitions I think they do try to promote the sport at all levels, try to get skating events on TV, try to make money for people in the sport, try to get publicity for skating and skaters, etc. Money talks.

Mathman

soogar

Record Breaker
I understand about the USFSA wanting to publicize its events, but are they cutting off their nose to spite its face in forcing injured skaters to compete in these events? If a skater can't perform to his/her level due to injury, I would think there is a double whammy in that not only could the skater further injure himself, but the skater will also deliver a crappy performance. Who likes attending an event where there are lots of bad performances? A bad performance really sucks the sails out of those events (esp with only 6 skaters). Yes Tim is a name, however there are other skaters the USFSA can put in a competition to promote new faces. I hope Tim can regain his form, but what if he's never the same? Of all the US men, Tim is the only guy who can compete with the Russians technically. Johnny is not there yet (if he ever gets there). Tim's injury (projecting forward here) might have cost the US an Olympic medal in 2006 and maybe even a berth if he can't deliver in 2005 (and the other two guys can't either). I'm not playing a what if game nor am I looking to debate on the merits of the US team. I'm just saying that forcing an athlete to compete when injured can affect other , more important interests.

I feel the same way about Mishin having his pupils compete 3 Grand Prix events and then the Final. Skaters get worn out with all those competitions.

taurusskater

Match Penalty
:eek:
soogar said:
Tim Goebel made a few comments to Spotlight on Skating concerning his injury and said that he should have sat out the fall Grand Prix season.

His quote:
"It wasn't just me wanting to do the events. Let's just leave it at that. I had obligations and I tried to fulfill them as best I could. Unfortunately, as a result of that I missed the last half of the season."

I'm not sure how I feel about the USFSA and its contracts with the skaters. Is the USFSA a pimp or an organization concerned about the welfare of its athletes? The main objective of the USFSA is to put skaters on the podium in international competition (according to its website). I think it's rather counterproductive to force your best skater (and best shot at a world medal/world medalist) to skate in events when he is injured. I think that if Tim took time off to get his situation organized, he definitely would have medalled at worlds (at least a bronze).

Fossi

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
But she was obviously sick, and her poor performance showed it. IMO I think it might have been better for her to just skip it rather than skate sub-par like that. I think the coach was right here.

Actually, I believe Sasha stated she was sick a few weeks before the cheesefest, not during it. Tarasova said it was right after TL, not during the cheesefest.
Many skaters have competed while being ill. I guess they deserve major respect when they skate well. :D

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I think that there is a huge leap of assumption from "I had obligations" to "the USFSA forces it's skaters to skate injured". IIRC Tim had boot problems and it wasn't until after nats that the Doctor decided that the boot problems had caused the misalignment. What's all this about an injury? Also, let's not puts words in his mouth. His very vague statement could mean anything from "My parents always taught me to honor my comitments" to "I can't say anymore, spies are everywhere.". :laugh:

And what's all this nonsense about predictions being hopeful obserations? Like duh. Are you expecting only people with the "gift" of intuition to post? No one ever said that predictions had to have a 90% accuracy rate or your money back. And I love the "I'm gonna wait until the season starts and we see them skate" line people always use. Imagine if political pundants said things like "I'm gonna wait until after the conventions to predict who's gonna win the election" :laugh: No news program would carry them. Predictions are fun. Go with the flow, you just might enjoy yourself.