2018 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA, Info | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2018 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA, Info

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ah, this schedule allows Ladies and Men to be prime time on Friday and Saturday, then Pairs gets afternoon coverage Saturday and Ice Dance Sunday.

KatGrace1925

Medalist

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ah, this schedule allows Ladies and Men to be prime time on Friday and Saturday, then Pairs gets afternoon coverage Saturday and Ice Dance Sunday.

Is there an area where GS Members plan on sitting? My excitement for going to this event has grown and now I have some former students who plan on attending as well. I'm sure they would love to meet some of you as I talk about this site all the time. I know that there are concession areas on every level and maybe that's best time to run into other members. If there's a starbucks or SBC in the arena, that's probably where I'll be during the breaks between flights..;)

Last edited:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Is there an area where GS Members plan on sitting? My excitement for going to this event has grown and now I have some former students who plan on attending as well. I'm sure they would love to meet some of you as I talk about this site all the time. I know that there are concession areas on every level and maybe that's best time to run into other members. If there's a starbucks or SBC in the arena, that's probably where I'll be during the breaks between flights..;)

I would like to know this as well!

noskates

Record Breaker
Maybe we should try to meet somewhere in the arena. I think our tickets will be spread out over the entire venue. I can't remember exactly but I don't think we have in and out privileges so going to a Starbucks is probably not an option. We do have to clear the arena between the afternoon and evening competitions though as the tickets are separate from each other.

I just hope the food is better than last time. I got REALLY tired of grease and salt. Hopefully they'll let us bring food in (they did last time) because of that Whole Foods just down the street. Or I can sew pockets inside my coat (bwahahah) :rofl:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
There is a Togos in the SAP center or near it at least, it's my favorite sandwitch place but there is only one in San Diego and it's so outta the way for me. I think I will probably eat ar Togos in the SAP center everday during nationals.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sure when the schedule comes out and we know exact times of the competitions, our GS social directors will organize some kind of meetup either at the SAP center or somewhere close by for dinner/brunch/drinks - schedule allowing.

I know during Boston Worlds (almost a year ago already, time flies!), some GS members were able to sit together during some of the emptier events since it didn't matter what ticket you had, but I don't know how crowded each event will be during Nationals.

noskates

Record Breaker
Another problem we had with food in the SAP center (and granted this was 5 years ago so things could certainly have changed) but they only had a few venues open until the weekend. so it was hot dogs, pizza, french fries, hamburgers, pretzels, etc. None of the really good venues were open. I also don't remember a Starbucks - but things definitely could have changed. I know we wrote scathing reviews about the food with the follow-up survey. At one point I would have killed for something green and fresh.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't remember much of anything being open until Championship weekend. This seems to be the new "norm". St. Paul was horrible..you almost were forced to go the "café" which was outside of the arena (but inside the complex) if you wanted anything like real food. The Sprint Center had more places open and it seemed like a little more variety, but I don't remember anything especially healthy! I think the FAQs for SAP say that you can bring in food, but if you are there all day that can be a challenge.
Another problem we had with food in the SAP center (and granted this was 5 years ago so things could certainly have changed) but they only had a few venues open until the weekend. so it was hot dogs, pizza, french fries, hamburgers, pretzels, etc. None of the really good venues were open. I also don't remember a Starbucks - but things definitely could have changed. I know we wrote scathing reviews about the food with the follow-up survey. At one point I would have killed for something green and fresh.

b-man

Final Flight
Now I have to drive up on Wednesday and find a place to stay for then. I really wanted the short program to be Thursday but whatever.

I hope this means singles tickets are coming soon.

With this new schedule, my hotel reservations are now for the wrong days. Fortunately, haven't booked a flight yet.

mrrice

Record Breaker
There is a Togos in the SAP center or near it at least, it's my favorite sandwitch place but there is only one in San Diego and it's so outta the way for me. I think I will probably eat ar Togos in the SAP center everday during nationals.

Listen to this advice ladies and gentleman.......Here in Clovis, most people definitely prefer Togo's to Subway.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Now I have to drive up on Wednesday and find a place to stay for then. I really wanted the short program to be Thursday but whatever.

I hope this means singles tickets are coming soon.

I wouldnt bet the farm just yet on the schedule....I am still waiting on my airline tickets and can always change my hotel.
We still dont know when the arena will be open for practice or indeed for Jr. Free programs...that will be the key.....

Wednesday, Jan. 3
Senior Ladies - Short Program

Thursday, Jan. 4
Senior Pairs - Short Program
Senior Men - Short Program

Friday, Jan. 5
Senior Dance – Short Dance
Senior Ladies – Free Skate

Saturday, Jan. 6
Senior Pairs – Free Skate
Senior Men – Free Skate

Sunday, Jan. 7
Senior Dance – Free Dance (event will end no later than 3:00 p.m. PT)
Smucker’s Skating Spectacular

Skating Gator

Rinkside
Hi everyone! My mom and I are starting to plan. We make this an annual mother/daughter trip. Also serves as a way to meet up with my former coach and skating companions from my competition days.

We are looking at hotels. I see many are on the other side of the highway (the Guadalupe Freeway?). Is it safe to walk from the hotels to SAP? Or should we just Uber. I see we would have to cross that highway, not sure if there is a pedestrian walkway or something like that.

We are also planning on some sight seeing in San Francisco. Woohoo!

Skating Gator

Rinkside
San Fran is crazy weird layout wise. But I loved the Wharf and The Disney Family Museum is totally worth the admission (and then some)!

Ok great! This will be my first time to San Fran. What are your thoughts on Alcatraz? I have always wanted to take a tour there.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok great! This will be my first time to San Fran. What are your thoughts on Alcatraz? I have always wanted to take a tour there.

Alcatraz is really fun. Was there years ago, but it is very worthwhile. Because it is so popular, book a reservation WAY in advance.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Alcatraz is really fun. Was there years ago, but it is very worthwhile. Because it is so popular, book a reservation WAY in advance.

True. I would recommend that those who are new to town take the time to study the Transit System in SF. It is really quite advanced and there are very few places you can't go by simply getting on a Bus, Cable Car, Muni, Bart, or Street Car. The schedules are available in several languages and you can find them online. The "Bay Area" is quite vast and though the area's look close together on a map, it can take hours to get around by car. If the weather is decent, I would recommend using public transportation if you're new to the area. Especially in Downtown San Francisco...It's a nightmare, even for locals..

Last edited: