Bollywood? | Golden Skate

Bollywood?

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I have been wanting to watch some Indian cinema lately... but I dont know where to star, there are so many titles available at our bollywood movie store. Does anyone have any suggestions of good Indian films to get started with when exploring the genre? I have seen monsoon wedding, but thats it.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
A Passage to India would be a good start. One of my favorite movies.

Also, if it is available - The Jewel in the Crown. Great stuff!

Vash01

Medalist
DORISPULASKI said:
How about Monsoon Wedding?

Try 'Lagaan'. It was nominated for best foreign language Oscar a few years back. I enjoyed it.

Vash

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I am lucky becauase we have a video store that has nothing but indian cinema in town... I cant wait to get started.

Vash01

Medalist
Almost 20 years ago there was a TV movie titled 'The far pavillions' in 2 or 3 parts. It was based on a book with the same title. It was wonderful, but I don't know if you can find it at a video store. It was not a Bollywood movie, however.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
A while back I saw an exhibition on Bollywood at the V&A and then, back at the hotel, the BBC was showing movies in conjunction with the show. I watched "Mother India" which according to the exhibit was a truely seminal work of Indian cinema. It was good in a sort of "Gone with the Wind" or "Citizen Kane" kind of way, but not the lighthearted silly movies with dancing I've come to asscoiate with Bollywood.

Sorry, but I could help :laugh: at the suggestion of "Passage to India". :)

Vash01

Medalist
Last year one of the cable channels (TMC?) had devoted one whole week to old Indian movies, and I had taped 'Mother India' at that time because I did not have the time to watch it. It is a very serious movie, but there are songs in it.

Among the new movies- I don't know if there are any good ones (besides Lagaan, which I have already mentioned). A while back (may have been 4-5 years) I had seen 'Bombay'. It was pretty good.

I am planning to see 'Ashoka' (Asoka?)- it is on DVD but I have not heard very positive comments about it.

The newest movies I saw from Bollywood were 'Lakshya' and 'Hum Tum'. I don't know if they are available on DVD yet.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Are you only looking for Indian movies in the Bollywood genre? Because many of the movies of the great Indian director, Satyajit Ray, are available on DVD. The Apu Triology is really wonderful, particularly the first movie (Ray's first, too), Pather Panchali. They're sad movies, but they're beautifully filmed and acted.

There's also a movie that was originally made for TV called Cosmopolitan, about a first generation Indian American man and his next door neighbor, played by Carol Kane. There are some very funny faux Bollywood scenes featuring Kane. Roshan Seth plays the man; Seth played Nehru in Gandhi, and had a small role in Monsoon Wedding. He's got a wonderfully expressive face.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I'm interested in all indian cinema, but particularily the bollywood drama because my good friend from hs is taking a college course in the upcoming semester on the subject. She is my film buddy, and I want to be able to chat with her about what she learns.

Vash01

Medalist
Longhornliz said:
I'm interested in all indian cinema, but particularily the bollywood drama because my good friend from hs is taking a college course in the upcoming semester on the subject. She is my film buddy, and I want to be able to chat with her about what she learns.

They actually have a college course on Bollywood movies? That is amazing.... or is it a part of the course she is taking? I am curious. Certainly the Bollywood movie industry is one of the biggest in the world and that may have attracted the attention. I hope you will enjoy the chats with your friend on the subject.