2016 Golden West Championships, Sep 2-4 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Golden West Championships, Sep 2-4

gsyzf

Medalist
So Nathan just attempted a 4Z and a 4F in his SP... this he will go for six quad free skate this year?

I don't think so. He doesn't have the stamina for 6 quads. Nobody does. I think he is trying 4lz and 4f to avoid jumping 4S because he just had a hip surgery and he is trying to avoid doing too many jumps that put too much stress on his hip. (He did a total of three 4S in SP+LP last year.) He has to do other jumps to replace 4S. 4lo is not an option either because it will place even more stress on his hip. I think he did 4 quads LP last year because his 3A is weak (he only did one 3A last year). If he has a strong 3A, he would've tried 3 quads and two 3A. This is a low pressure competition. He is trying new jumps here. He will keep the more reliable quad. It looks like he landed 4f, but fell on 4lz. Maybe he will try 4f in GPs if his 4F turns out to be more reliable than 4lz. (If 4f and 4lz are both reliable, he will keep both.)

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
So Nathan just attempted a 4Z and a 4F in his SP... this he will go for six quad free skate this year?

What!? I thought Rafael said he learned not to overdo it! I guess slowing him down would be like trying to stop a freight train with your bare hands!:drama::curse::palmf:

I think that Nathan is upset that both two men had their 4lz and 4F respectively landed cleanly and ratified as the first men to land them in history. He had months to stew with that knowledge. If nothing else Nathan is a fierce competitor. He landed four quads. Why not go for six? I hope you have the energy to do it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What!? I thought Rafael said he learned not to overdo it! I guess slowing him down would be like trying to stop a freight train with your bare hands!:drama::curse::palmf:

I think that Nathan is upset that both two men had their 4lz and 4F respectively landed cleanly and ratified as the first men to land them in history. He had months to stew with that knowledge. If nothing else Nathan is a fierce competitor. He landed four quads. Why not go for six? I hope you have the energy to do it.

He would have had years to stew on the 4Lz, since that was done and ratified by Brandon Mroz in 2011.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Thoughts on what I saw!

Vivian: nice program. I like her speed, and her upper body movement is vastly improved. But I will miss her huge jumps (even if they're more controlled now).

Gracie: it was very similar to last year's program, but I liked El Choclo, so I'm okay with it. The StSq is great, and it looks like the flip entrance will help out with not popping it.

Nathan Chen: *jumps 4F and 4Lz* *fans be like* *OMG* *how* *why* *where did THAT come from?!?* *DON'T BREAK YOURSELF*'

Lys

Match Penalty
Thoughts on what I saw!

Gracie: it was very similar to last year's program, but I liked El Choclo, so I'm okay with it. The StSq is great, and it looks like the flip entrance will help out with not popping it.

she hasn't a habit to pop lutz, so yep, I don't think she will pop that. Now, if we speak about that helping her to keep that edge, I don't know: she doesn't even go near to an inside edge there.

Oreo

On the Ice
Gracie's short program Obviously she's putting the program out there for the first time. I think the program will be great, and I really like the music.

The video is slightly out of focus, but the uploader also has other performances from Golden West up there.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I know he didn't choose this song on purpose, but it's making me cry.

You must be referring to Philip Warren's FS to the Willy Wonka song from Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.

R.I.P., Gene Wilder. :sad4:

frida80

Record Breaker
Nathan i think Nathan landed both the 4lz and 4f clean in his long. The problem is his music had some hiccup and he had to stop his program. So I don't know what he left out. Maybe just a 3a.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
So he left out his 3a after all.

It might have been supposed to be where the music died... the approach looked about right. And maybe he just could not get the timing back in time. His reentry to his program did look a bit awkward... still sucks that it happened

frida80

Record Breaker
It might have been supposed to be where the music died... the approach looked about right. And maybe he just could not get the timing back in time. His reentry to his program did look a bit awkward... still sucks that it happened

It's a shame. He practically had a clean program. And he only did 3 quads, so I'm not as nervous as last night. Shame about the music. I wonder what happened.

gkelly

Record Breaker
"An axel jump" is required in the free skate. But a single axel would meet the requirement if double or triple would exacerbate injuries. Or he could just plan on doing seven jump passes that count and let the reserve the last slot for the MIA axel. If he did another triple as the eight jump pass it would get no points, so why bother?