Anna Shcherbakova | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Anna Shcherbakova

Undino

Rinkside
Yeah, I agree with you. But the thing is that we see the "fairness" of the Russian Skating Federation all time... (Sochi, Nationals, GP assignments, ....) :laugh:
They always wanna make sure that the bests of the best (or their favorites) compete, bringing the expected victory home. I think Anna could be the next Russian junior star, as Zagitova this season. And that's what the federation is searching for.... - the next big star!:hap10: And when I have to be honest, I don't see the same star quality in Tarusina yet. Maybe she'll grow and surprise us....

hanca

Record Breaker
Yeah, I agree with you. But the thing is that we see the "fairness" of the Russian Skating Federation all time... (Sochi, Nationals, GP assignments, ....) :laugh:
They always wanna make sure that the bests of the best (or their favorites) compete, bringing the expected victory home. I think Anna could be the next Russian junior star, as Zagitova this season. And that's what the federation is searching for.... - the next big star!:hap10: And when I have to be honest, I don't see the same star quality in Tarusina yet. Maybe she'll grow and surprise us....

Tarusina was stronger than Anna the last season. This season it is a bit harsh to measure her against Anna, considering that she had serious injury which required surgery on her legs, on her head and missed half of the season recovering. So measuring her against someone who didn't spend 4-5 months off, while she has been back on the ice for a month or two, is not very fair comparision. It may be more productive to give her some five months on the ice and see whether she will get where she was last year. You can't expect her to be in top shape immediately.

In regards to Anna taking over from Zagitova, well there will be a few other contenders. Trusova, who have been stronger than Anna this season. Panenkova and Guliakova, who in my view are not as good with interpretation as Anna is, but have a huge jumps and therefore may get better TES ( better GOE). And others. IF Gubanova gets consistent, she also has a chance.

Last edited:

Undino

Rinkside
Of course, we must consider that Tarusina was injured... But she's more than a year older than Shcherbakova. When she was the same age as Shcherbakova now, she wasn't technically that strong (but still great!). I love Tarusina's free program from last season (that she also uses this season). She really skates WITH the music, something that Shcherbakova does too. But as you mentioned, Gulyakova and especially Panenkova lacks in this point. We'll see next season.... - Trusova, Panenkova, Gubanova, Tarusina, Gulyakova, Vasilieva, Shcherbakova,Tarakanova, Gubanova, Zagitova (maybe she turns senior next year in order to make the Olympic team?! :confused:), Kurakova, Fedichkina? - my dear! So many amazing skaters and not all will make the JGP team! A really hard decision for the federation:think:
But if Anya makes the team, I'm satisfied :love:

venx

Match Penalty
Tarusina was stronger than Anna the last season.
Tarusina is one year plus older than Shcherbakova and the outcomes of 2015/16 season were mixed:

Panin's Memorial: Tarusina 1st, Shcherbakova 2nd
Volkov's Memorial: Tarusina 1st, Shcherbakova 3rd
Moscow Younger Age Championships: Shcherbakova 3rd, Tarusina 4th
Moscow Older Age Championships: Tarusina 3rd, Shcherbakova 8th
Russian Younger Age Championships: Shcherbakova 1st, Tarusina 2nd

Top scores (unofficial): Shcherbakova 186.57, Tarusina 185.45

Trusova, who have been stronger than Anna this season.
Shcherbakova dominated in the beginning of 2016/17 season, winning both of her Russian Cup tourneys with great results (186.44, 195.86) then she broke her arm:

Open Moscow Championships:
Shcherbakova 2nd, Trusova 3rd
Volkov's Memorial: Trusova 1st (184.06 clean), Shcherbakova 2nd (183.31 with fall)
Russian Cup final: Trusova 3rd, Shcherbakova 8th (after 2 month recovery)

Top scores so far: Shcherbakova 195.86, Trusova 194.60

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
Of course, we must consider that Tarusina was injured... But she's more than a year older than Shcherbakova. When she was the same age as Shcherbakova now, she wasn't technically that strong (but still great!). I love Tarusina's free program from last season (that she also uses this season). She really skates WITH the music, something that Shcherbakova does too. But as you mentioned, Gulyakova and especially Panenkova lacks in this point. We'll see next season.... - Trusova, Panenkova, Gubanova, Tarusina, Gulyakova, Vasilieva, Shcherbakova,Tarakanova, Gubanova, Zagitova (maybe she turns senior next year in order to make the Olympic team?! :confused:), Kurakova, Fedichkina? - my dear! So many amazing skaters and not all will make the JGP team! A really hard decision for the federation:think:
But if Anya makes the team, I'm satisfied :love:

That's rubbish that a year ago Tarusina wasn't as good technically as Anna is now. A year ago Tarusina beat Konstantinova, Zagitova and Gubanova at the junior nationals, so I would say that clearly proves that she was technically proficient. She also won junior nationals of Elder age, beating Konstantinova, Samodurova, Gubanova, Panenkova, Guliakova. To be honest, it doesn't really matter how someone skated a year ago, because it is the present skating that counts, but you brought up last year, so I felt I need to correct you because you are wrong. Nevertheless, I still think that it is unfair that Anna got special favour and got to the nationals without qualifying, because where do you draw the line? Will Tarusina get special favour for the nationals of elder age? After all, one can argue that like with Anna, it is not her fault that she didn't qualify, because she missed time with injury. Will Nugumanova get pass to the nationals of elder age? She also didn't qualify.

hanca

Record Breaker
Tarusina is one year plus older than Shcherbakova and the outcomes of 2015/16 season were mixed:

Panin's Memorial: Tarusina 1st, Shcherbakova 2nd
Volkov's Memorial: Tarusina 1st, Shcherbakova 3rd
Moscow Younger Age Championships: Shcherbakova 3rd, Tarusina 4th
Moscow Older Age Championships: Tarusina 3rd, Shcherbakova 8th
Russian Younger Age Championships: Shcherbakova 1st, Tarusina 2nd

Top scores (unofficial): Shcherbakova 186.57, Tarusina 185.45

Shcherbakova dominated in the beginning of 2016/17 season, winning both of her Russian Cup tourneys with great results (186.44, 195.86) then she broke her arm:

Open Moscow Championships:
Shcherbakova 2nd, Trusova 3rd
Volkov's Memorial: Trusova 1st (184.06 clean), Shcherbakova 2nd (183.31 with fall)
Russian Cup final: Trusova 3rd, Shcherbakova 8th (after 2 month recovery)

Top scores so far: Shcherbakova 195.86, Trusova 194.60

Venx, please, use your head and don't get again attached to one skater without being objective. I think you hopefully learned with Gubanova. I don't need to be getting another email saying that I was right.

Last edited:

venx

Match Penalty
Venx, please, use your head and don't get again attached to one skater without being objective. I think you hopefully learned with Gubanova. I don't need to be getting another email saying that I was right.
I just presented some numbers, how could I be more objective than that?
No need to be rude. :shrug:

hanca

Record Breaker
I am sorry, I don't mean to be rude. I am loosing patience when someone is such a fan that they refuse to be objective.

Because you are not looking at what they won. A small Moscow competition...hmmm, big deal. Look at the best achievements. Anna won novice nationals and Tarusina won junior nationals elder age. What do you think is more important? Would you prefer to bear a few skaters of your age, like Anna, or would you prefer to beat Gubanova, Samodurova, Panenkova and Guliakova? The fact that they have their season best within a point or two doesn't really say anything, because every competition is marked differently. If there was a ten point difference, it would show something, but to show two scores so close to each other and think it is a proof...really?

And the comparison with Trusova this season - well, if you think it is a success that Anna scored with fall so close to Trusova without fall, I would rather draw your attention to the number of competitions she actually managed to skate clean. She had mistakes in the last competition, which alright, she just came from injury. But she also had a mistake in the competition you so helpfully mentioned... the skaters do exactly the same jumps, the technical score will be very similar, so consistency and ability to skate clean will be extremely important, and as much as I love Anna's skating, I can't say that she has been super consistent yet. I am not saying that she is failing, she is definitely one of the top skaters for the next season, but she is just comparable to several others, not better, not worse. I am all for being fan, but one needs to be objective. It is too early to start rewarding Olympic medals. And unfortunately, it is still too early to hand out next year's JGP events. There is still six months till August and a lot can happen in the next six months, as Gubanova showed you.

Last edited:

venx

Match Penalty
Who is awarding JGP spots here? Who is proving anything to anybody? Who is rewarding Olympic medals? :scratch2:

It's was you who claimed in skater's fan thread(!), that she is weaker than than two other skaters.
I presented some numbers saying they're mixed, Undino wrote his opinion in civilized way as well, and you go ballistic with no reason at all.

venx

Match Penalty
I think in the beginning of 2015/16 season Anna S. was significatly weaker than Anna T., in the end Anna S. caught up, prevailed and won Novice Championships.
Regarding Younger Age vs Older Age Championships, I actually consider Younger Age the top Russian tournament for U13 kids, while Older Age more of a supplemental tournament for all U17 juniors/novices, simply because the skaters in Younger Age are not age-eligible for international competitions, so it's automatically the most important competition for them, while many skaters in Older Age were simply not good enough to participate in JGP.
Actually, I've seen some insightful Russian GS users calling Older Age a "second-tier Russian Juniors".

I'm not saying that winning the tourney against Konstantinova and Gubanova is not a good outcome, but you have to remember Nastya's form in the second part of last season was not brilliant and Stasya has never been an example of consistency. Besides, we can't possibly know what would have happened if in-top form Shcherbakova had performed there, maybe she would've defeated Tarusina again and won?
All I'm saying it's not clear to me, that Anna Tarusina was significantly better than Anna S. in 2015/16 season - I've seen the skates, I've seen the numbers and it's open question to me.

Regarding comparison with Trusova - I agree with you that Alexandra seems to be more consistent and stronger at the moment, but I think scoring potential is on Anna's side. I mean she's lost by less than a point with a fall and we've all seen that 11 triples in the second half in Volkov's Memorial Ex. :)
Aleksandra jumps higher (3A?) for now, but I feel she's a bit more mature than Anna - let's wait and see what's going to happen tomorrow and at the summer test skates.
Future looks bright for both of them! :agree:

Undino

Rinkside
I think in the beginning of 2015/16 season Anna S. was significatly weaker than Anna T., in the end Anna S. caught up, prevailed and won Novice Championships.
Regarding Younger Age vs Older Age Championships, I actually consider Younger Age the top Russian tournament for U13 kids, while Older Age more of a supplemental tournament for all U17 juniors/novices, simply because the skaters in Younger Age are not age-eligible for international competitions, so it's automatically the most important competition for them, while many skaters in Older Age were simply not good enough to participate in JGP.
Actually, I've seen some insightful Russian GS users calling Older Age a "second-tier Russian Juniors".

I'm not saying that winning the tourney against Konstantinova and Gubanova is not a good outcome, but you have to remember Nastya's form in the second part of last season was not brilliant and Stasya has never been an example of consistency. Besides, we can't possibly know what would have happened if in-top form Shcherbakova had performed there, maybe she would've defeated Tarusina again and won?
All I'm saying it's not clear to me, that Anna Tarusina was significantly better than Anna S. in 2015/16 season - I've seen the skates, I've seen the numbers and it's open question to me.

Regarding comparison with Trusova - I agree with you that Alexandra seems to be more consistent and stronger at the moment, but I think scoring potential is on Anna's side. I mean she's lost by less than a point with a fall and we've all seen that 11 triples in the second half in Volkov's Memorial Ex. :)
Aleksandra jumps higher (3A?) for now, but I feel she's a bit more mature than Anna - let's wait and see what's going to happen tomorrow and at the summer test skates.
Future looks bright for both of them! :agree:

I couldn't agree more!:clapper: I'm so excited for next season... But let's take step by step - first: Nationals Elder Age! :yahoo:

hanca

Record Breaker
Fine, don't tell me I didn't warn you. You were trying to laugh at my predictions already once, and a year later you admitted that you were wrong. Let's see another year or two, because one lesson obviously wasn't enough.

venx

Match Penalty
Fine, don't tell me I didn't warn you. You were trying to laugh at my predictions already once, and a year later you admitted that you were wrong. Let's see another year or two, because one lesson obviously wasn't enough.
Thing is, I'm not laughing at you at all. :confused2:
I just disagree with your assessment, so I provided some numbers and arguments, that's all.
Isn't it, what this forum is for? :thumbsup:

PS.
Besides, do you really feel like skater's fan thread is the right place to claim the unfairness of rewarding her with spot to the competition? Seriously, hanca. :disapp:

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
Besides, do you really feel like skater's fan thread is the right place to claim the unfairness of rewarding her with spot to the competition? Seriously, hanca. :disapp:
I am sorry, I am her fan, but not as blindly commited that I would pretend that she earned something that she didn't. And I don't care if I say it at her fan thread or at any other thread. A part of me is happy that she got the chance to compete, but at the same time I am seeing the bad side of it - someone else missed out for her to get the spot, that she did not earned. Yes, there are mitigating circumstances that she couldn't earn it because she was injured, but will the federation do this for everyone who misses qualifying competition because of injury? There is far too many great ladies of her age group and creating favours is not a good thing. Next time someone else may get the favour to the detriment of Anna, and there may be much more to loose than just a spot at novice nationals.

venx

Match Penalty
I am sorry, I am her fan, but not as blindly commited that I would pretend that she earned something that she didn't. And I don't care if I say it at her fan thread or at any other thread. A part of me is happy that she got the chance to compete, but at the same time I am seeing the bad side of it - someone else missed out for her to get the spot, that she did not earned.
Can you count to 30?
Nobody missed out anything, they've just added two more girls: Anna and some girl from St. Petersburg. You see, you're spreading misinformation, then "loosing patience" over it and get aggressive against other posters.

And you certainly SHOULD care what you say at skater's fan thread, because GS rules says literally, it's the place where we gush over the skaters, stay positive and not "police" other fans.

Please, let's leave it and cheer for Anya at Younger Age Championships!
:hap10:

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
Can you count to 30?
Nobody missed out anything, they've just added two more girls: Anna and some girl from St. Petersburg. You see, you're spreading misinformation, then "loosing patience" over it and get aggressive against other posters.

And you certainly SHOULD care what you say at skater's fan thread, because GS rules says literally, it's the place where we gush over the skaters, stay positive and not "police" other fans.

Please, let's leave it and cheer for Anya at Younger Age Championships!
:hap10:

Again? It wasn't enough the last time? Well, perhaps try behaving the way that you won't feel stupid a year later. There is a reason why you had to create new user name, boskil. You were banned!

Last edited:

Undino

Rinkside
Anna received a score of 61.75 for her SP today (pretty low PCS: 25.60 and got a level 2 for her Stsq). She's currently in third place!:clap:

1st Trusova 120.48
2nd Tarakanova 120.44
3rd Shcherbakova 115.15
4th Kostyuk 113.96
5th Kanysheva 109.78

GOOD LUCK FOR THE FREE SKATE, ANYA!!!:hap10: