2016 JGP Yokohama Ladies SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Yokohama Ladies SP

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Or her baggage has not arrived there yet:drama:

Oof, yeah this could be a definite issue, especially with the distance. No easy way to fix it. Didn't that happen to one of the French Ice Dance teams in Ostrava? (ETA: Yeah, Dylan Antunes's luggage didn't show up)

Is that what happened?!

No one knows yet! Probably won't for a little bit given that it's only just about 4 AM in Yokohama.

Last edited:

yyzskater

On the Ice
That's why we always try to use Air Canada. They allow skates in the carry ons. It actually is allowed through security at Pearson (Toronto's airport), but some airlines themselves don't allow it.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I was wondering if Ashley could've had a flight delay and missed the draw...if she were injured enough to WD, she'd probably have withdrawn already. Or luggage issues, as someone said? She's still not listed as withdrawn, so...who knows?

(I thought skaters usually took skates as a carry-on so as not to have that problem. It seems logical to bring your skates, costumes, tights, team jacket, hair stuff, etc. in a carry-on. That way, if your luggage was delayed, you would still have what you needed to compete.)

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Alisa Fedichkina ��

Kaori Sakamoto (JPN) - Already has a silver from St. Gervais, France this season
Alisa Fedichkina (RUS)
Ye Lim Kim (KOR) - 4th at St. Gervais, France
Sofia Samodurova (RUS)

Two Japanese: Marin Honda & Kaori Sakamoto
+ Mako Yamashita (New Girl from Machiko Yamada & Mihoko Higuchi, last year she was good as Rika Kihira)
Two Russians: Alisa Fedichkina & Sofia Samodurova

Outside chance - Korean: Ye Lim Kim (I do not expect she will win here, but it is possible to be like 3rd if she skates clean)

I was looking forward to seeing Ashely Kim of US, but suddenly she is nowhere to be found.

Thanks! I knew you all would know the answer to my question! So I guess the first two groups are the ones to watch!

frida80

Record Breaker
The news about Ashley is really sad! Ashley didn't make t out of regionals because her region was so competitive. She work hard in the off season and managed to not only master all her jumps but a clean triple triple as well! She's worked so hard and now that USFS recognized her and assigned to one of the few JGP slots, she loses her chance to compete! Life is not fair.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I'm just here for another reminder that the Diamond of Kyoto Marin Honda will win this competition.

Spinning

On the Ice
The results of star power -or lack thereof- in this thread are astonishing. :shocked:

I feel compelled to go for the one in the background.

Go Kaori!!!! :hap10::cheer:

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
I was wondering if Ashley could've had a flight delay and missed the draw...if she were injured enough to WD, she'd probably have withdrawn already. Or luggage issues, as someone said? She's still not listed as withdrawn, so...who knows?

(I thought skaters usually took skates as a carry-on so as not to have that problem. It seems logical to bring your skates, costumes, tights, team jacket, hair stuff, etc. in a carry-on. That way, if your luggage was delayed, you would still have what you needed to compete.)

In some countries like Australia it is not allowed -I remember One of the skaters lost luggage at a JGP last year . I'm sure they would. Take them on board if they had a choice

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... (I thought skaters usually took skates as a carry-on so as not to have that problem. It seems logical to bring your skates, costumes, tights, team jacket, hair stuff, etc. in a carry-on. That way, if your luggage was delayed, you would still have what you needed to compete.)

It is not uncommon for U.S. skaters to have problems with lost luggage -- with their skates inside the lost luggage.
As you and others have said, obviously if -- if -- they were allowed to put their skates in their carry-ons, they would.

For example, another Ashley -- I think her last name was Wagner or something?? ;) -- was in this predicament for a major international comp. 2013 Worlds in London, Ontario, IIRC. I remember that with good-natured sarcasm, Ashley W posted something funny on social media (I'm paraphrasing) about borrowing clothes for official practice from her pal K Weaver -- and the only other minor detail was to figure out what to do about skates.
Luckily, Ashley W's luggage was found before competition started.

Regardless of the TSA policy re carry-ons that is supposed to be followed (we have a GS member who always is quick to post the TSA policy), it evidently comes down to the particular TSA agent at the particular airport on the particular day. Thus the risk of losing skates in checked baggage.

All of that said ... the reason for Ashley Kim's absence is still completely unknown, right?

I have no idea what the reason is, but I don't find lost luggage to be more likely than any other possible reason. YMMV.

I just hope that Ashley is OK, even if she is unable to compete.

Good luck to Gabby Noullet :yay: ... and to all the ladies in Yokohama :).

Last edited:

tinnychan

On the Ice
Were there two ladies jumping in the video? Or Marin did it twice in two separate occasions?

3F+3Lo< (3Lo<<?) from Marin Honda and 3Lz+3Lo from Yuna Shiraiwa
I believe that both will not perform +3Lo combo in the free skate (Marin use 3F+3T & 2A+3T and Yuna use two 3Lz+3T)