Rika Kihira | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira

Amef

Final Flight
It's unfortunately geoblocked but Rika's FS on NHK official youtube channel is close to hitting 700K views :eeking: she made quite an impression. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjTBgkgF0sE&feature=youtu.be

Hopefully such a beautiful clean program will boost her confidence going into IDF, i'm praying we get to see two clean programs :pray:. As someone said earlier in the thread, may the tiger stay awake all season [emoji23]
Yes! I am hoping for a WR in idF. She is flying this season.

axon

Rinkside
I've been watching Rika before but I'm binging her videos now. She reminds me of a young Yuna. Of course, I would say Yuna had more innate musicality but both of them have POWER and GRACE in their skating. They both make the elements look beautiful and effortless but still have that raw power and wow factor. I wish Rika all the best. Good health and an injury free career.
Me too, they are obviously different skaters, but they manage to really wed technical skill with engaging interpretation. It's a pity that Yuna had so many injuries, as I can imagine her pushing herself even more technically without them. Rika's triple axel already looks so improved from the last season, I am excited to see where she goes from this. Fingers crossed for her health and wellbeing also!

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
It's unfortunately geoblocked but Rika's FS on NHK official youtube channel is close to hitting 700K views :eeking: she made quite an impression. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjTBgkgF0sE&feature=youtu.be

Coverage of her was all over the media yesterday, pushing her as the next Mao Asada. She has immediately leapfrogged every other Japanese female skater in terms of attention. If she starts winning world championships, she will become the female Yuzuru Hanyu.

Izabela

On the Ice
Ladies' single is my favorite discipline but I was entering this season thinking it wouldn't be fun. Rika changed everything. I know she has consistency issue when she was a junior but with someone who has all the jumps (with no questionable technique) and with a relatively good artistry, she is such a wonderful wildcard you want to have in this competition. I wasn't looking forward to GPF but I'm so pumped up right now. Can't wait to see how the IDF will play. ;)

I also can't wait to see how her FS will grow this season. I really like the way Dickson choreographed it, particularly the first half.

ETA: I hope the media are not preempting her rise by excessively narrating her as the next Mao or anything. Talk about unnecessary pressure. :noshake:

leoleo

Medalist
Ladies' single is my favorite discipline but I was entering this season thinking it wouldn't be fun. Rika changed everything. I know she has consistency issue when she was a junior but with someone who has all the jumps (with no questionable technique) and with a relatively good artistry, she is such a wonderful wildcard you want to have in this competition. I wasn't looking forward to GPF but I'm so pumped up right now. Can't wait to see how the IDF will play. ;)

I also can't wait to see how her FS will grow this season. I really like the way Dickson choreographed it, particularly the first half.

ETA: I hope the media are not preempting her rise by excessively narrating her as the next Mao or anything. Talk about unnecessary pressure. :noshake:

True! i feel like the pressure got to Marin unfortunately and i don't want Rika to crumble under pressure too. If she doesn't deliver like everybody expects, i'm scared of how the attention might affect her.

leoleo

Medalist
Guys, do you have twitter? If not you're really missing on the stupid pre-rotation discourse going on since NHK. It seems it's a trend now among some twitter eteri stans to spread that Rika pre-rotates her 3A at 180 degrees :laugh2: I have seen several tweets and people on my feed arguing with some of those people and the same arguments in youtube comments, i'm done. How do you even pre-rotate an axel at 180 degrees :rofl2: ? :think:

leoleo

Medalist
Would that be a "loop"?

That would be an entirely new jump that defies the laws of physics :laugh:

Mako Yamashita said she gets motivated by Rika Kihira who's the same age as her. She will do her best to give her best performances too at Rostelecom. :agree: I just love the relationship between the japanese ladies. They're so respectful and supportive of each other despite competing against each other.

From an interview after NHK, Rika said: "If i work on my short program, not to lose levels and make no mistakes, i will be able to add five more points. Of course no mistakes will be difficult but i want to achieve a perfect performance"

Rika's FS on italian tv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx3k9RBRzrA
There's a translation of the commentary here https://rika-kihira.tumblr.com/post/180044574415/rika-kihira-nhk-2018-fs-ita-esp-commentary
They thought her pcs score should have been higher :)
I wish i could find the french tv version (heard they praised her a lot too), i could translate for you but i have yet to find a video of it :(

lzxnl

Final Flight
That would be an entirely new jump that defies the laws of physics :laugh:

Mako Yamashita said she gets motivated by Rika Kihira who's the same age as her. She will do her best to give her best performances too at Rostelecom. :agree: I just love the relationship between the japanese ladies. They're so respectful and supportive of each other despite competing against each other.

From an interview after NHK, Rika said: "If i work on my short program, not to lose levels and make no mistakes, i will be able to add five more points. Of course no mistakes will be difficult but i want to achieve a perfect performance"

Rika's FS on italian tv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx3k9RBRzrA
There's a translation of the commentary here https://rika-kihira.tumblr.com/post/180044574415/rika-kihira-nhk-2018-fs-ita-esp-commentary
They thought her pcs score should have been higher :)
I wish i could find the french tv version (heard they praised her a lot too), i could translate for you but i have yet to find a video of it :(

Five points? I think she's being conservative there, especially as how her jump was called UR.

leoleo

Medalist
Five points? I think she's being conservative there, especially as how her jump was called UR.

yes indeed. She scored 73 at japanese western sectionals 2weeks ago with 0 GOE on her 3A (her leg slipped on the landing) and missed levels on spins & stsq + only 30 in pcs. I believe she could score 77+ with a clean SP & all her levels + the pcs she got at NHK.

lzxnl

Final Flight
yes indeed. She scored 73 at japanese western sectionals 2weeks ago with 0 GOE on her 3A (her leg slipped on the landing) and missed levels on spins & stsq + only 30 in pcs. I believe she could score 77+ with a clean SP & all her levels + the pcs she got at NHK.

Easily. Her fall on the 3A was worth essentially 2 points (8 -> 6 because of UR, 6 -> 3 because fall, 3 -> 2 because deduction). Her best 3As have been worth up to 11 (see her NHK FS). That's a 9 point gap with literally just landing her jump nicely. And tell me that this won't change her PCS scores. Even with a +1 in PCS, this brings her from 69.59 to almost 80.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I can hardly wait to see Rika again in France. I also really would love to see a clean version of her short because I love that program so so much. She deserves all this success and more. Hope she nails France!

jkun

Final Flight
Guys, do you have twitter? If not you're really missing on the stupid pre-rotation discourse going on since NHK. It seems it's a trend now among some twitter eteri stans to spread that Rika pre-rotates her 3A at 180 degrees :laugh2: I have seen several tweets and people on my feed arguing with some of those people and the same arguments in youtube comments, i'm done. How do you even pre-rotate an axel at 180 degrees :rofl2: ? :think:

That's hilarious coming from eteri stans...

leoleo

Medalist
That's hilarious coming from eteri stans...

well their argument is "why does everybody attack eteri girls for pre-rotating when Rika's 3A is pre-rotated at 180 degrees?" i'm not against calling a pre-rotated jump what it is but what their argument against Rika's 3A is not even humanly possible so... :confused2: And Rika's 3A technique is not different from most men's 3A technique. I guess people coming after her after only one GP means she made quite an impression. I don't know what i hate more, the situation now (people using her name to come after Satoko and Alina) or people making fun of her for being inconsistent & having "small jumps" (that was the trend last season) :palmf:

Reth

On the Ice
well their argument is "why does everybody attack eteri girls for pre-rotating when Rika's 3A is pre-rotated at 180 degrees?" i'm not against calling a pre-rotated jump what it is but what their argument against Rika's 3A is not even humanly possible so... :confused2: And Rika's 3A technique is not different from most men's 3A technique. I guess people coming after her after only one GP means she made quite an impression. I don't know what i hate more, the situation now (people using her name to come after Satoko and Alina) or people making fun of her for being inconsistent & having "small jumps" (that was the trend last season) :palmf:
Did you see that they just exposed the person who keep trashing Rika 3A on twitter? It’s a regular in the Russian ladies thread 😂

leoleo

Medalist
Found gifs of her quads attempts from last year
4S https://66.media.tumblr.com/ed63a2e28de125b03afcc68542a757c7/tumblr_inline_p3mpaz9nhz1ubel36_400.gif
4T https://66.media.tumblr.com/b38eb75fb9e1081553fec52b5a1d3c55/tumblr_inline_p3mhox38NY1ubel36_400.gif

I'm very curious to see how they have improved since then especially since she worked on them with Ghislain (i trust Ghislain with my life, he thought Hanyu after all). I've heard from a fan on twitter that Rika said her 4T's has improved a lot and is more stable than the 4S. Since the media seems more interested in her recently, hopefully we'll get a peak at her quads in practice :agree2:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Rika Kihira SP, German Eurosport 2, 9/11/18, Commentators: Sigi Heinrich & Hendryk Schamberger

Warning, I'm no professional translator, so a lot of idioms are kind of hard to translate. Sometimes that might sound a little weird, but I hope you can enjoy this and get the gist of it!

During Warm up

Sigi Heinrich: Well and there she is, the next figure skating child prodigy.

Hendryk Schamberger: Yes. And you can see here on the screen, her planned layout, triple Axel at the start, then triple Flip - triple Toeloop, I'm really excited to see how she can assert herself at her first start in the senior circuit.

S: Yes, because she jumps the triple Axel and Tuktamysheva as well, we will experience something strange, because...uhhhh

Did you see that?

H: Super!

S: This is madness, isn't it? Sensational! Two ladies, doing the triple Axel at this competition!

SP Start

S: So, let's go! Because now, dear viewers, a new star on the figure skating sky. Rika Kihara (sic!). Sixteen years old. Will start her short program with a triple axel. We could see it earlier in the warm up, where it worked perfectly. Would be nice, if it would work out now just as well.

Clair de Lune by Claude Debussy. Her costume is a little pale on the ice. But she can spice it up with a sporting achievement. Attention!

H: Ohh...noo! Jumped too far into the circle....

S: It's crazy. During the warmup....

H: Yep, yep...

S: So airy, so beautiful, wonderful!

H: It was a technical mistake. And, uhm, because she didn't land backwards, she will lose many points.

S: Aah, girl...

So, if you watched the rest of the program until now, it's a huge pity that it didn't work out.

H: Yes.

S: But it will happen....

H: Ohh..

S: Hehehe. She's winking. Just imagine, the triple Axel will work, she will bang out such a high score, all the others will get dizzy!

H: Yes, she would have been at the very front. Because the rest of the program was really good. Where she definitely improved is her quality of skating, last year she was very dependant on the triple Axel. When she fell on that, the rest of the program sometimes also fell apart. So she really did handle that well here. While I believe she will lose points in the technical score, as far as I could see in the first view, the Axel was underrotated. How much was missing, we need to see the slow-mo.

S: But in any way....

H: She has to jump out of the circle, she jumps too far into the circle, and yes, that will be downgraded. That took away many points.

S: Nevertheless here in Japan they can look forward to the coming career of Rika Kihara (sic!)

H: Mmmh...

S: She is a gigantic talent. And she's just starting out. And Japan in general has many good skaters. With Sakamoto, with Mihara, with Kihira....so it's not like it's all about the russian talent, Japan can hold their own. Korea can hold their own. The scene is still alive and in motion.

H: Yes, and she still has the Free. Ahh, yes,yes. Hehe, she probably also knows why it didn't work out. She still has the free, and uhm, she can get farther to the front than her placement now in the short will be. The question is, will she get into the last group, then she would be....

S: Naturally nervous....

H:Ah, 69 that could be enough for the last group, it would be crucial simply because she's with the top skaters in one group for the free.

S: And her program component scores are also quite decent...well....

H: Because it was a beautiful program.

German Original

Einlaufen

S: Tja und da ist sie, das nächste Eiskunstlaufwunderkind.

H: Ja. Sie sehen eingeblendet, der Plan, der dreifache Axel am Anfang, dann dreifach Flip, dreifach Toeloop, da bin ich wirklich gespannt, wie sie sich bei ihrem ersten Start im Seniorenbereich durchsetzen kann.

S: Ja, dadurch das sie einen Dreifach Axel springt und auch Tuktamysheva erleben wir etwas ganz eigenartiges, denn äh....

Haben sie das gesehen?

H: Super!

S: Wahnsinn, oder? Sensationell! Zwei Damen werden dreifach Axel springen, bei dieser Veranstaltung.

SP Start

S: So, auf geht's! Denn jetzt liebe Zuschauer, ein neuer Stern am Eiskunstlaufhimmel. Rika Kihara (sic!). 16 Jahre alt. Und wird mit einem Dreifach Axel ihr Kurzprogramm beginnen. Wir haben das vorhin im Einlaufen beobachten dürfen, hat auch wunderbar funktioniert. Wäre schön, wenn das jetzt auch klappen könnte.

Clair de Lune von Claude Debussy. Bißchen blass das Kostüm auf dem Eis. Aber das kann sie ja mit sportlicher Leistung aufpeppen. Aufgepasst.

H: Oh nee! Viel zu weit in den Kreis reingesprungen.

S: Es ist schon verrückt. Beim Einlaufen...

H: Jaja..

S: So lässig, so schön, wunderbar.

H: Es war einfach ein technischer Fehler. Und ähm, dadurch ist sie auch nicht auf rückwärts gekommen, also da wird sie viel Punkte verlieren.

S: Ach, Mädel

So wenn man den Rest des Programmes bis jetzt gesehen hat, ist das jammerschade, dass das nicht funktioniert hat.

H: Ja.

S:Aber das kommt schon.

H: Och...

S: Hehehe. Zwinkert sie mit den Augen. Stell dir mal vor, der dreifache Axel sitzt hier, dann knallt die eine derartige Punktzahl hin, das allen anderen schwindelig wird.

H: Ja, sie wäre ganz, ganz vorne dabei gewesen. Weil, der Rest des Programmes war wirklich gut und Wo sie sich definitiv weiterentwickelt hat ist einmal im läuferischen und kommt noch dazu im letzten Jahr war das Problem, dass sie sehr vom Axel abhängig war. Wenn sie da stürzte ist teilweise auch der Rest des Programmes auseinander geflogen. Und äh, das hat sie jetzt wirklich sehr gut gemeistert. Wobei ich glaube, dass sie im technischen noch Punkte verlieren wird, weil so wie ich das jetzt im ersten Durchlauf gesehen habe, war der Axel auch nicht auf rückwärts. Wieviel da gefehlt hat müsste man noch in der Zeitlupe überprüfen.

S: Aber in jedem Fall...

H: Sie muss aus dem Kreis rausspringen, sie springt zu sehr in den Kreis rein, und ja, der wird abgewertet. Also, das hat viel Punkte gekostet.

S: Trotzdem glaube ich kann man sich in Japan auf die weitere Karriere der Rika Kihara (sic!) freuen.

H: Mmmh...

S: Da ist ein Megatalent. Das jetzt erst mal so in den Anfängen steckt. Und da ist Japan insgesamt gut aufgestellt. Mit Sakamoto, mit Mihara, mit Kihira. Also ist es nicht so das sich alles um die großen russischen Talente dreht. Auch Japan hält mit. Auch Korea hält mit. Die Szene ist nach wie vor sehr lebendig und in Bewegung.

H: Ja, und sie hat ja noch die Kür. Ahh, jaja. Hehe, weiß sie wahrscheinlich auch woran's gelegen hat. Sie hat noch die Kür und ähm, kann da sicherlich noch deutlich weiter nach vorne kommen, als es jetzt der Platz im Kurzprogramm wohl werden wird. Die Frage ist, kommt sie in die letzte Startgruppe, das wäre dann...

S: Natürlich nervös...

H: Ah, 69 das könnte reichen für die letzte Startgruppe, das wäre wichtig einfach um dann mit den Topleuten in einer Gruppe zu starten für die Kür.

S: Und auch schon ganz ordentliche Programmkomponenten...also....

H: War auch ein schönes Programm.

leoleo

Medalist
Thank you so much MaiKatze for the translation. It must have taken a lot of time to do that. Are you planning to translate the free skate too? I'm just asking, not pressuring you; i know it takes time, it's really nice that you're doing this.
I find it interesting that the commentators too noticed she recovered really well after her fall on the 3A in the SP, instead of letting it affect her she just continued like the fall had never happened.
If others would love to help translate, you can find several versions of her FS here (korean, spanish, russian, italian...) https://twitter.com/hydrobIading/status/1062867385798049792 and here https://twitter.com/hydrobIading/status/1062867392148193281

If anybody happens to find the french version please link it to me, i'd love to translate for you guys.