Rika Kihira | Page 25 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira

leoleo

Medalist
She can score 80-82 in SP if she receives the 3A GOEs as in NHK FS, being relatively late in starting positions and given some consistency for one-two competitions in a row.

It's depressing to think of how huge her score would be with a clean 3A. That is the beauty and madness of that crazy jump i guess.

lzxnl

Final Flight
It's depressing to think of how huge her score would be with a clean 3A. That is the beauty and madness of that crazy jump i guess.

I know right. It's an extra 11 points for the jump and maybe an extra point for PCS because judges are impressed. That would put her 11 points clear of anyone else, and we'd be looking at some record victory margin (certainly on senior debut)

Still, her FS seems to be quite steady atm, so she should land these 3As. She's missed the 3A in the SP twice now: CS ON and NHK, and her FS 3As haven't been a problem, so thus far she's been ok at recuperating. It seems risky though to have to rely on a perfect FS to bail yourself out. As mentioned before, these are early days and she can still work on those nerves. Just need to bite the bullet and go.

She needs some way of simulating competitions in training IMO.

leoleo

Medalist
I know right. It's an extra 11 points for the jump and maybe an extra point for PCS because judges are impressed. That would put her 11 points clear of anyone else, and we'd be looking at some record victory margin (certainly on senior debut)

Still, her FS seems to be quite steady atm, so she should land these 3As. She's missed the 3A in the SP twice now: CS ON and NHK, and her FS 3As haven't been a problem, so thus far she's been ok at recuperating. It seems risky though to have to rely on a perfect FS to bail yourself out. As mentioned before, these are early days and she can still work on those nerves. Just need to bite the bullet and go.

She needs some way of simulating competitions in training IMO.

Does she summon Thor god of thunder before her Beautiful Storm programs or something :scratch2::unsure:? how does she always manage to do so well with that program despite a much harder layout yet the 3A in SP always gets her!

Logirl

On the Ice
I am at the point that I wish should would take 3A out of the short and just go with a big 2A with steps before and transitions out of it and leave 3A attempt in long where a mistake on it is usually less costly. This is how the men used to do. Play it safe in short and take risk in the long until more stable.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I am at the point that I wish should would take 3A out of the short and just go with a big 2A with steps before and transitions out of it and leave 3A attempt in long where a mistake on it is usually less costly. This is how the men used to do. Play it safe in short and take risk in the long until more stable.

What has she lost by failing the short 3A? She still won NHK, and will likely still do enough here to qualify for the Finals.

The more she tries, the better the probability that she succeeds going forward...and with the quad era approaching, she WILL need that going forward.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yeah, long-term it makes more sense to keep working until she can get it right (at this point I think it's become partly mental; when you miss it in the short three times in a row, that gets in your head). The fact that nobody else is doing a 3A is also a bit of a gift to her, in that popping or falling on it doesn't put her nearly as far behind as, say, a man who pops his 3A would be relative to others.

Logirl

On the Ice
I think it is mental too. And instead of pushing something that is a mental problem I think it is best to step away from it and do something positive. She has a beautiful double axle that could hit all the GOE bullets in the short and give her the lead in the short.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
People don't advance by running away from their problems. The sooner she hits a 3A in the short the better, and the soonest way to get there is to try for it every chance she gets.

Logirl

On the Ice
Why does she need to advance this year? She could have clean short with a gorgeous double axle in the short. She needs to establish consistency in both programs that is how PCS increases in figure skating. She would still be doing triple axle in the long. I hear you about not running away from a problem but when a problem is mental no amount of physical approach is going to solve it.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Why does she need to advance this year? She could have clean short with a gorgeous double axle in the short. She needs to establish consistency in both programs that is how PCS increases in figure skating. She would still be doing triple axle in the long. I hear you about not running away from a problem but when a problem is mental no amount of physical approach is going to solve it.

Do you think Rika herself wants to do a 2A? Given how much effort she puts into her practice (she had to be called off the practice rink), and how adamant she is in fixing her mistakes, I don't think it'd be characteristic of her to quit doing her 3A in the short. She WILL get it. I expect to see at least one successful SP 3A this season. Her coach has succeeded in coaxing good 3As in the LP after comparatively disastrous SPs. We need to trust Hamada and Rika.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Bombing the 3A in the SP will mean we‘ll see two clean ones in the FS again! :agree: :laugh:

No, seriously, Rika is on a good way. The SP needs some working on it so that she can finally get that 3A but abandoning it for a 2A wouldn’t do any good. She can land it easily, it‘s probably just nerves and pressure. She‘s come a long way regarding nerves, we haven‘t seen a total bombing of a program (*knocksonwood* :laugh: ) and she always delivers as if nothing happened after falling on or popping the 3A. The SP 3A is a challenge she has to face and I think she‘s willing to take it. Dropping it now for an easier element might give her more points NOW but in the long run, she‘ll definitely benefit more from trying until she lands it. Imagine how big the satisfaction will be. And the scores, too, of course. Alina and Rika will make it so exciting, battling for the gold and world records at the same time. I didn‘t notice Rika too much last season but this year she‘s definitely grown on me. Her FS is one of my favorites this season. I especially like that she‘s combining mind-blowing athleticism with beautiful artistry. It‘s really rare to see something like this, so I was surprised. Even my mom liked her and she was like: ”Uh... another jumping bean?“ when I told her she had been landing 3A left and right in practice. But when she saw her she was like: “Oh. Looks like the jumping bean is a graceful and artistic one. That’s special.“ :laugh:

And besides that, I‘m all here for a good rivalry like Rika‘s and Alina‘s could have where two stunning and talented skaters fight for the gold and push each other to even greater heights. Which doesn’t mean I only like her because she could beat Alina or the Russians, not at all. Besides the fact that Alina is one of my favourites, I simply just enjoy watching skaters on their peak trying to outperform each other for the top spot on the podium and each giving their best. (what I don‘t like is the part when the media starts to constantly pit them against each other in ridiculous ways)

Good luck for the FS to Rika. I don‘t think there‘s any doubt she‘ll be on the podium and the win is hers to lose as well. Now I only need Zhenya in the final as well by placing second and my field of favourites would be complete: Alina, Rika, Zhenya, Liza, Satoko, Kaori. I hope it will look like this because it‘d promise a hell of an interesting battle. I‘m so hyped already lol. Rika, just do what you did at NHK, win this and leave the messy puddles on ice and plastic gold medal behind you and advance to GPF! :laugh:

Edit: I accidentally posted my comment long before it was finished.

leoleo

Medalist
Also knowing Rika herself, she's not one to give up or chose the easier option. She's someone who sets really high standards for herself and giving up on the 3A i don't see her doing that, that's not her. She really wanted last season to be HER season, she was ready for it but things happened, and if the disaster that was junior worlds didn't stop her, the SP 3A isn't what will. she came back stronger and better than she ever was before. I believe she's very strong mentally, she wasn't completely disappointed after the short either, she kept her head up, she knows she still has a shot in the free.

She was very ON in practice this morning, landed all the jumps, did a complete run through. I believe she can make it here. Prayer circle, let's get it Rika :agree:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
What is this nonsense of getting rid of the 3A in the SP? Just no. That would do her so much more harm than good, it would shake up her confidence even more and changing layouts has proven to be a bad decision for Rika in the past(last season she kept changing the SP). Just leave it as it is, she will get it, eventually. She does clean runthroughs all-the-time. It was probably just nerves or whatever. It doesn’t matter. The important thing is that she keeps herself focused and learn little by little how to be more relaxed.
I think I have to summon my inner Ted Barton here: the bad days, the bad experiences, the imperfect performances, this is what makes you grow and it makes you stronger. After having a bad SP both at NHK and ONT she did beautiful FS, that’s some mental strength right there.
I think Rika has come a long way already and we need to be a little more patient. This is the most consistent she has ever been and she has a monstrous technical content so mistakes are totally understandable. She has been doing amazing so far!
Again, if she finishes above 5th I’ll be super happy! That’s all she needs right now.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Congratulations, Rika!!!!
I'll be rooting for you at GPF and Worlds :agree:

Logirl

On the Ice
Yay Rika. And great thinking on her feet to change that second triple axle out with a beautiful double axle combo.

gotoschool

Medalist
Congratulations to Rika Kihira for giving a lovely and gutsy performance to win the freeskate and the competition in France. She did a really fine job maintaining her focus and composure and adjusting her jump content and her artistic expression and skating were so beautiful.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Congrats to Rika! She really made a huge step forward this season. She‘s thinking on her feet, keeping her cool and not letting the pressure get to her. Well deserved win and ticket to the GPF!

lzxnl

Final Flight
I've always said that she's quite beatable if she misses all 3 3As; her FS <3A was worth as much as a clean 2A, so essentially she didn't land a single 3A. Fortunately, the field misfired too and she won; this score would have been woefully inadequate at NHK. Also, this is probably almost as bad as it gets for her, essentially doing FS with 2As and not having an axel in the SP; the truly worst outcome would have been to fall on the opening <3A and even that only costs another 3 points, yet keeps her above 200 points. We know it only gets better here; 3 clean 3As and she'll probably win against Zagitova (who would really need her CS Nebelhorn scores). And we know she can do it.

She did have a 3Lz-<3T call; probably comes from having to suddenly adapt and do a 3T at the last minute. Also, level 4s on spins and step sequence would be nice...