Rika Kihira | Page 38 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I'm excited to see Rika perform 2 clean programs at Worlds. She will blow everyone away.
In the SP, he sit spin was level 2. In the free, she messed up her 3A and turned 3A+3T into 3A+2T.
Imagine the possibilities. And with higher PCS, she can beat Evgenia's WTT fs record of 160.
84 + 160 = 244 :)))

leoleo

Medalist
I'm excited to see Rika perform 2 clean programs at Worlds. She will blow everyone away.
In the SP, he sit spin was level 2. In the free, she messed up her 3A and turned 3A+3T into 3A+2T.
Imagine the possibilities. And with higher PCS, she can beat Evgenia's WTT fs record of 160.

By the way the flying sit spin snaked on her again in the free skate :noshake: she only got level 3.
Well WTT scores are always kind of a joke, they are so blown out of proportion that if she goes to WTT and skates clean there she will completely destroy the world record.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
By the way the flying sit spin snaked on her again in the free skate :noshake: she only got level 3.
Well WTT scores are always kind of a joke, they are so blown out of proportion that if she goes to WTT and skates clean there she will completely destroy the world record.

I realized her sit spin was level 3 in the free also.
Yeah I agree. But a joke or not, it was still a recorded official score. This time however, if Rika manages to break it, it will be deserved.

lzxnl

Final Flight

The 3A-2T wasn't a problem as she turned her 3Lz-2T into an emergency 3Lz-3T and she's only allowed one 3T. Howevee that downgraded 3A almost-fall probs still costed her 9 points technically and maybe 1 for PCS so I agree, Rika could hit 244 with perfectly executed programs.

I think she'll hit 250 next season if she puts in a quad. 260 is possible if she puts in two and lands everything. I rewatched old footage of her 4S and 4T; they weren't bad, just maybe slightly UR.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
The guys on The Skating lesson just mentioned that Rika will go train her quads in Colorado at Altitude in January and February.

leoleo

Medalist
TheSkatingLesson always has some inside info i don't know how. They knew about Gogolev leaving Orser before it was announced, they also revealed Boyang was going to TCC to train with Orser it came out true (even tho it was cancelled in the end) tho they said Wakaba would be going to Orser too :laugh2:

Hamada said in a post GPF interview that they're aiming for 2 3As and 1 quad not several quads which i think is the best idea. They want to focus on her 3A consistency this season to be secure enough to add a quad. Her base value with that would be more than enough to keep her in gold contention in the upcoming seasons. She also said Satoko has been a good influence on Rika, that helped her consistency.

Do you guys remember that this summer, it was first reported that Rika's FS had a 4T choreographed as her first jumping pass? So how good has it gotten that Hamada already had it in the planned layout at first? :think: Last time we saw it more than a year ago it was UR but it seems she has been working seriously on it so how did it improve? Also about the 4S they said they were going to change the way she does her entry. I'm glad Hamada is taking it slow tho, she is a great coach for someone like Rika.

After #GPFrance, Rika talked about planned alternatives once 3A failed.

"Since last year, I've trained to adjust jumps layout accordingly. My first 3A wasn't as smooth as expected at #GPFrance, so I changed to 2A-3T next. Additionally, I've also trained intensively how to accelerate my speed once a jump fall to properly meet the timing of next jump in order not to mess rhythm of the performance." cr: https://twitter.com/echotpe

lzxnl

Final Flight
TheSkatingLesson always has some inside info i don't know how. They knew about Gogolev leaving Orser before it was announced, they also revealed Boyang was going to TCC to train with Orser it came out true (even tho it was cancelled in the end) tho they said Wakaba would be going to Orser too :laugh2:

Hamada said in a post GPF interview that they're aiming for 2 3As and 1 quad not several quads which i think is the best idea. They want to focus on her 3A consistency this season to be secure enough to add a quad. Her base value with that would be more than enough to keep her in gold contention in the upcoming seasons. She also said Satoko has been a good influence on Rika, that helped her consistency.

Do you guys remember that this summer, it was first reported that Rika's FS had a 4T choreographed as her first jumping pass? So how good has it gotten that Hamada already had it in the planned layout at first? :think: Last time we saw it more than a year ago it was UR but it seems she has been working seriously on it so how did it improve? Also about the 4S they said they were going to change the way she does her entry. I'm glad Hamada is taking it slow tho, she is a great coach for someone like Rika.

"Since last year, I've trained to adjust jumps layout accordingly. My first 3A wasn't as smooth as expected at #GPFrance, so I changed to 2A-3T next. Additionally, I've also trained intensively how to accelerate my speed once a jump fall to properly meet the timing of next jump in order not to mess rhythm of the performance." cr: https://twitter.com/echotpe

Realistically I think we can hope for 2 x 3A, 2 x quad by Beijing, right? That's three more years to work on three jumps, one that she can do fairly well and one that was almost competition-worthy. I'm just impatient to see a woman skate two programs without a double :laugh: sounds like Hamada really does want two quads in due course, which is exciting.

Depends on what you mean by 'good', regarding the 4T. I agree, probably means we'll see a 4T before the 4S next season. However, Hamada put 3 3As instead, and as we've seen, Rika's 3A was hot and cold this season, so it seems her 4T would have been slightly worse than her 3A. Would you have called her pre-season 3A 'good'? It certainly scared me more often than not, although I'm going to blame her IdF performance as due to not adjusting well for the timezone (she said she wasn't the most fit). Probably means her 4T was rotated at least. Which reminds me; if Rika is going to Colorado to train her quads in Jan/Feb, isn't 4CC in Feb? How is that going to work?

Although it makes me wonder, if the 4T was going to be the first jumping pass, was she still going to do 2x3A? Or was it just replaced with a 3A?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Realistically I think we can hope for 2 x 3A, 2 x quad by Beijing, right? That's three more years to work on three jumps, one that she can do fairly well and one that was almost competition-worthy. I'm just impatient to see a woman skate two programs without a double :laugh: sounds like Hamada really does want two quads in due course, which is exciting.

Depends on what you mean by 'good', regarding the 4T. I agree, probably means we'll see a 4T before the 4S next season. However, Hamada put 3 3As instead, and as we've seen, Rika's 3A was hot and cold this season, so it seems her 4T would have been slightly worse than her 3A. Would you have called her pre-season 3A 'good'? It certainly scared me more often than not, although I'm going to blame her IdF performance as due to not adjusting well for the timezone (she said she wasn't the most fit). Probably means her 4T was rotated at least. Which reminds me; if Rika is going to Colorado to train her quads in Jan/Feb, isn't 4CC in Feb? How is that going to work?

Although it makes me wonder, if the 4T was going to be the first jumping pass, was she still going to do 2x3A? Or was it just replaced with a 3A?
I think the 4T will be additional to the two 3As. From the look of her practices (doing just causaly 10-15 3As per practice) Rika has the stamina to pull 3 diffult and demanding jumps in a program.

lzxnl

Final Flight
I think the 4T will be additional to the two 3As. From the look of her practices (doing just causaly 10-15 3As per practice) Rika has the stamina to pull 3 diffult and demanding jumps in a program.

Next season, sure. However if you think about it, that 4T has to replace something, and the least valuable jump it could replace is the 2T in the 3Lz-2T. For that to happen, Rika needs to combo her 3Lz with 3Lo, 3S or 3F; we've only seen the former so far, so that means 3Lz-3Lo for next year? I hope those don't hurt her hips, so I'd actually rather see 3Lz-Eu-3S personally.

Do you reckon Hamada was going to plan 4T and 2x3A at the start of the season though? I'm a little sceptical given Rika's form last season; we need to remember that at the time of choreography, Rika had problems with her 3A.

Side note: I still think Rika's gala is the best out of the skaters at GPF, although I'm probably terribly biased.

Fluture

Record Breaker

That‘s a big off-topic but Gogolev has left Orser?? When? I somehow did not catch that. :laugh:

Tutto

Record Breaker
I am a new fan here but just want to say that your girl is just wow, not only her technical prowess is jaw dropping I am even more impressed with her poise and musicality, she is not rushing from element to element, every movement has a meaning - just amazing at her age.

lzxnl

Final Flight
I am a new fan here but just want to say that your girl is just wow, not only her technical prowess is jaw dropping I am even more impressed with her poise and musicality, she is not rushing from element to element, every movement has a meaning - just amazing at her age.

Welcome! She's great, isn't she? Check out her gala; favourite gala of the event imo.

That‘s a big off-topic but Gogolev has left Orser?? When? I somehow did not catch that. :laugh:
It's on Wikipedia at least, although I can't find too many results about this

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Next season, sure. However if you think about it, that 4T has to replace something, and the least valuable jump it could replace is the 2T in the 3Lz-2T. For that to happen, Rika needs to combo her 3Lz with 3Lo, 3S or 3F; we've only seen the former so far, so that means 3Lz-3Lo for next year? I hope those don't hurt her hips, so I'd actually rather see 3Lz-Eu-3S personally.

Do you reckon Hamada was going to plan 4T and 2x3A at the start of the season though? I'm a little sceptical given Rika's form last season; we need to remember that at the time of choreography, Rika had problems with her 3A.

Side note: I still think Rika's gala is the best out of the skaters at GPF, although I'm probably terribly biased.

No, Hamada said at the beginning of the season that this season their focus is on developing Rika's artistry, when she was asked about Rika including her quads this season. I do not think it was planned to include quads this season. Maybe they changed their mind and will add a 4T at worlds. Who knows. Rika has a good chance to win worlds without her quads. So it is not urgent for them to add them.

lzxnl

Final Flight
No, Hamada said at the beginning of the season that this season their focus is on developing Rika's artistry, when she was asked about Rika including her quads this season. I do not think it was planned to include quads this season. Maybe they changed their mind and will add a 4T at worlds. Who knows. Rika has a good chance to win worlds without her quads. So it is not urgent for them to add them.

I don't think Rika needs a 4T this season either tbh; if she lands 2/3 3As at Worlds with none of them downgraded/UR (falls are ok), gets all the right levels on her spins and step sequences (that cost her at least 2 points on the weekend), she wins. However, I was just responding to the above comment where it was mentioned Hamada initially put a 4T at the start of Rika's FS.

leoleo

Medalist
Since you're talking about quads, there's this interview from the off season in case you missed it

Qn: You have also declared that you will be challenging the quad jumps. Are you actually practicing them now?

Right now I am attempting the 4S with a two-legged take off. There are 2 styles of jumping the Salchow, and Skater Yuzuru Hanyu (ANA) and Skater Nathan Chen (USA) both have different ways of jumping it. Hanyu is the type who takes off with both feet on the ice, whilst Nathan is the type who takes off with just his left foot on the ice, and the right foot kept as it is, floating (just above the ice). I think other skaters mostly fall into one of these 2 patterns. I tried to see which of the 2 was easier to jump, but the two-legged take off doesn’t really fit well with me, so now I am thinking about going back to taking off with just the left foot. I still have not been able to perfect it yet, but when I jump it with one leg, if I can take off right at the start then I’ve just about come to the point where it’s mostly fully rotated.

I am practicing the 4T a lot, and it has gotten better than it was last year, so I think I hope to perfect it within the season.

Qn: Is your jump layout confirmed?

There are rule changes so it’s not confirmed yet but, I’ll start with either the 4T or the 3A+3T, and then the 3A, 3Lo, 3Lz+3T, 3F, 3Lz+2T+2Lo, and finally the 3S, something like that. It’s only recently been created so from here on I want to be able to make it a wonderful program.

credit: https://tadakixd.tumblr.com/post/174918476725/rika-kihira-3a-quads-and-goals
you should read the whole interview. she talks a lot about her past failures, what she was disappointed about, what she was proud of, how she wants to improve as a skater, what here goals are :luv17:

lzxnl

Final Flight
Since you're talking about quads, there's this interview from the off season in case you missed it

Qn: You have also declared that you will be challenging the quad jumps. Are you actually practicing them now?

Right now I am attempting the 4S with a two-legged take off. There are 2 styles of jumping the Salchow, and Skater Yuzuru Hanyu (ANA) and Skater Nathan Chen (USA) both have different ways of jumping it. Hanyu is the type who takes off with both feet on the ice, whilst Nathan is the type who takes off with just his left foot on the ice, and the right foot kept as it is, floating (just above the ice). I think other skaters mostly fall into one of these 2 patterns. I tried to see which of the 2 was easier to jump, but the two-legged take off doesn’t really fit well with me, so now I am thinking about going back to taking off with just the left foot. I still have not been able to perfect it yet, but when I jump it with one leg, if I can take off right at the start then I’ve just about come to the point where it’s mostly fully rotated.

I am practicing the 4T a lot, and it has gotten better than it was last year, so I think I hope to perfect it within the season.

Qn: Is your jump layout confirmed?

There are rule changes so it’s not confirmed yet but, I’ll start with either the 4T or the 3A+3T, and then the 3A, 3Lo, 3Lz+3T, 3F, 3Lz+2T+2Lo, and finally the 3S, something like that. It’s only recently been created so from here on I want to be able to make it a wonderful program.

credit: https://tadakixd.tumblr.com/post/174918476725/rika-kihira-3a-quads-and-goals
you should read the whole interview. she talks a lot about her past failures, what she was disappointed about, what she was proud of, how she wants to improve as a skater, what here goals are :luv17:

That's a great read! The bit about the edges affecting the 3A was very interesting. I never knew it was so fiddly. I hope her 4T isn't so fiddly too.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker