Rika Kihira | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira

breadstal

Record Breaker
Wow, this program may be something special, I already really like it. The step sequence was my favorite part, it was insanely beautiful! Can't wait to see it develop through season :luv17:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
The parts I didn’t like:
the start with the “why god” hands, I don’t get it and it’s kind of awkward. The part during the stsq that seems to be a copy of Satoko’s starting steps in her stsq for Memoirs of a Geisha, that I considered to be really of bad taste cause everyone will make the link, being the same choreographer and being two Japanese ladies, I found it uninspired.
The parts I absolutely loved: the ending! Omg, the ending is so perfect! Smooth and effective. Perfection!!! The start, apart from the “oh god why” hands, the rest of the opening choreo is so good and Rika looks amazing, very into it. Throughout the entire program you can see she really loves this free skate! I think she will sell the hell out of it in competition. The part with the spiral is great. And that rippon Lutz??? To die for! And so seamlessly integrated.
I’m already in love with this program and will watch it forever.
I hope the SP is as good as this!

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I will give my honest opinion on this program.

I don't like the beginning. As mentioned above, the very beginning is strange and doesn't work at all. I also don't really like the opening after that either - In my opinion, the movements are too "sharp" and should be softer with the music. On the other hand, the period in between the 2 axels I really love and I wish the beginning had a similar mood. I also mostly like the performing until the first spin. I really love the music during the step sequence and it can be a real highlight. I think that, again, the performing is just a bit too "sharp" for my liking during the earlier parts of the step sequence - Becomes better as the step sequence nears the end. The next 2 jumps until the next spin, I like once again. And the jump combo into the next spin, I like also. I like everything until the next jump also, especially the spiral. As for the ending, I like everything apart from that weird gesture towards the sky that was at the beginning as well.

Now, I'm sure that sounded a bit too harsh considering how much I liked this program. Because truthfully, I REALLY love the music here a lot and love most of the program as well, and I consider myself extremely picky when it comes to programs. I actually was blown away by how far this managed to exceed my expectations. I'll definitely enjoy watching Rika next season no matter how she actually performs and I think she'll be very rewatchable as well! I just wish that some of the movements weren't unnecessarily sharp when she can perform so beatiful soft movements even within this program when the music calls for it... And I wish those odd gestures at the beginning and the end didn't exist. It doesn't completely ruin it, of course, but I think it's a bit unfortunate that they exist. Let's see if I'll change my opinion on these but even so, I'm immensely impressed with this!

randomfan

Record Breaker
the start with the “why god” hands, I don’t get it and it’s kind of awkward. The part during the stsq that seems to be a copy of Satoko’s starting steps in her stsq for Memoirs of a Geisha, that I considered to be really of bad taste cause everyone will make the link, being the same choreographer and being two Japanese ladies, I found it uninspired.

I agree about the why hands. I don’t understand why people think they’re fine (cough Marin cough Honda cough).

And wasn’t this program done by Tom Dickson? Satoko’s Memoirs of a Geisha was not done by him.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I agree about the why hands. I don’t understand why people think they’re fine (cough Marin cough Honda cough).

And wasn’t this program done by Tom Dickson? Satoko’s Memoirs of a Geisha was not done by him.

you’re right, it was Lori Nichol. 🤦*♀️
Anyway, that’s less worse I guess. lol

FCSSp4

Rinkside
I love her FS! Very unique and has a lot of sharp movements that take you by surprise. Very contemporary. I'm really impressed by her exponential improvement. Only thing I don't like are the opening and closing movements but the rest is fantastic.

Her 3lz rippon is nice too, looks like she's getting more height and power in her jumps.

Kara

Final Flight
Oh god yeah those why why hands at the lightning sound effects are awful, but WOW! I'm already loving this program and I LOOOVE the music. When she completely makes this program her own, it's gonna be legendary man.:love: Just change the arm movements at the lightning to maybe something involving more of a pulsing/popping of her upper body and shoulders and I'll be all over it.

sakurano

Final Flight
I have not been able to see the whole program but according to the excerpts I saw this program looks great, she has time to get used to it and do it perfectly during her competitions. I did not like dramatic hands on Marin and I still do not like about on Rika, I hope they will delete it for me it does not help the character, but I only ask to change my mind .

Do we know if she will do the Asian Trophy? , Lombardia?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I'm sorry, i can't with this why why arms. Seriously, this is a Mie Hamada thing or what? Because though they don't have the same choreographer, Marin and Rika do that thing. And there are some Satoko-like movements.
My biggest issue with that program is that i don't see the storm. I don't know, i expected something more. But beautiful program.

The Hamada school seems to teach a somewhat restrictive presentation style when it comes to the carriage of the neck and the arms. Satoko has learned how to make it work, but Marin and Rika seem like they aren't perfect at their usage of it, and it causes them to look a little too contrived at times.

readernick

Medalist
I love her FS! Very unique and has a lot of sharp movements that take you by surprise. Very contemporary. I'm really impressed by her exponential improvement. Only thing I don't like are the opening and closing movements but the rest is fantastic.

Her 3lz rippon is nice too, looks like she's getting more height and power in her jumps.

Yes, I also noticed the improved height on her jumps. Her jumping technique has always been great but she has really added some height and distance since I saw her on the jgp.

I also love the music and Rika really seems to feel it. She is developing a style that is beautiful but different than Satoko or Marin. I am sure that Rika's intrepretation will continue to grow and eventually she will become the storm. Tom Dickson is definitely one of my two favorite choreographers. His Madame Buttefly (last season) and Planets (2016-2017) programs for Satoko were works of art. I like the sharp movements in this program too. I think they help Rika look both artistic and strong. However, I agree that the beginning of the program should be changed and some of the arm movements are a bit excessive. Hopefully, this program will be refined over the summer. She could easily dominate next year with this program and her technical content with enough effort and confidence (the one thing that Rika tends to lack). Hopefully, if she loves this program it will bring her confidence.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Something tells me the "hands" are here to stay. They probably think it is awesome and it's part of the concept of the program. I don't get it at all.
But you don't put something like that in a program unless you think it makes the whole difference and it is really important.
It's like Medvedeva's hearbeat sounds, breathing sounds, the creepy voice saying "come back", she "coming back to life" at the end of the program, everyone thought "girl, what are you doing???" but they wouldn't change anything about the program, in their minds it was perfect the way it was.
What I'm expecting to see over the summer and as the season progresses is a development in terms of interpretation. As I've said here before, it is not as good as it can be. She needs to give more face, be more intense, more serious, really go for it, then it will be perfect! But I have to say, this is already much more than what I expected, she feels the music and she skates to the music well. It's just her expression that I don't think it on point yet.
And I agree about the jumps, specially the lutz, it looked bigger, more powerful, in her case it felt like the rippon actually fulfilled its duty, making the air position better and the jump higher. I wonder if she'll keep adding rippon and tano to her jumps, since it's not a GOE bullet anymore(not literally at least). I wouldn't mind to see her tanos gone, but the rippon in great.

FCSSp4

Rinkside
https://rika-kihira.tumblr.com/post/175164569960/faoi-niigata-fan-reports-day-1-rika-skated FAOI Niigata report. On Day 3 she did SBS 3A with Takahito Mura in the finale but fell, 3F3T2lo with Mai Mihara was successful though. Also looks like her programs were mostly clean outside of the step out on the 3A in Day 2. She tano'd her entire 3lz-2t-2t and looks like she has 3lo rippon now.

https://rika-kihira.tumblr.com/post/175161463291/alyona-is-a-rika-stan-as-well-ω-from-her Aljona's instastory updates with Rika's 3A. She seems so impressed by her 3A. :laugh:

gossipcow

Rinkside
I'm very glad to hear that Rika got a spot at IdF, despite her inconsistencies last season. Hopefully she gets the NHK host spot, but I'm a newly converted casual fan, so I am not sure how/when those are determined? I imagine there's some wait-and-see in the early season to determine host picks?

sakurano

Final Flight
I was finally able to see the whole program it gives me chills, she highlights the different changes of music with his body, when she will take it completely it will be even more awesome.

I'm glad she got the IDF even if it's going to be hard with Evgenia in the same Grand Prix, she and Mai can do the podium, I hope she will also do the NHK Trophy, usually she's doing well at Home when she controls her nerves.