2016 Rio: Paralympics | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Paralympics

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just thought that, if not a whole sub-forum, we should at least have a thread about the Rio Paralympics.

Rio 2016 Website: https://www.rio2016.com/en
IPC Rio 2016 Website: https://www.paralympic.org/rio-2016
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Summer_Paralympics

The Opening Ceremony was held last night, with the competitions starting today.

The Closing Ceremony will be on Sunday 18th September.

OK, so I have an alterior motive to starting this thread. Bethany Firth, a S14 swimmer from Bangor in Co. Down, set a new World Record in her 100m Backstroke Heat today.

Bethany is the reigning Paralympic Champion in this race. But, this is her first Paralympics representing Great Britain, having switched from representing Ireland.

So, a good start for Northern Ireland! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Let's hope it continues! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's so offensive to ban someone for carrying a Russian flag. Disgraceful.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, so I have an alterior motive to starting this thread. Bethany Firth, a S14 swimmer from Bangor in Co. Down, set a new World Record in her 100m Backstroke Heat today.

Bethany is the reigning Paralympic Champion in this race. But, this is her first Paralympics representing Great Britain, having switched from representing Ireland.

So, a good start for Northern Ireland! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Let's hope it continues! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Just a wee update. Bethany Firth went on to win the Women's 100 m Backstroke S14 competition. And in the final, she broke the World Record she had set in her heat earlier in the day.

Before yesterday, the Paralympic Record was 1:08.93 while the World Record was 1:04.70. Both were already held by Bethany, although she was representing different countries when she set each of them.

Bethany's heat 2 winning time was 1:04.53, which was 3.88 seconds quicker than England's Jessica-Jane Applegate in second. In the final, Bethany's winning time was 1:04.05, which was 2.28 seconds quicker than Holland's heat 1 winner Marlou van der Kulk in second.

Meanwhile, Jason Smyth, a T13 runner from Eglinton in Co. Londonderry, won heat 1 of his classification's 100m race. He won with a time of 10.76 seconds, which was 0.05 seconds quicker than Namibia's Johannes Nambala in second. It was not a record time. But, Jason already holds the World and Paralympic Records with his Gold medal winning time of 10.46 seconds from the London 2012 Paralympics.

The final of his race is being held today.

Meanwhile, Michael McKillop, a T37 runner from Ballymena in Co. Antrim, gets his campaign underway on Sunday in the 1500m. He also holds the World (3:59.54) and Paralympic (4:08.11) Records, both set at separate events held in London in 2012.

So, a Gold medal on the first day, and good chances to add to to them in the next few days.

Told you we normally do better at the Paralympics! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I watched Paralympics on TV a bit. I think Olympics games should be extended to 3.5 weeks and include Paralympics. So we will have just one Games and Olympians and Paralympians competing along side of each other, just in different events. I think organization-wise it would be more hassle, but much cheaper in total. Just imho. Besides it would be a great example of diversity and all-inclusivity. Why athletes with disabilities should have a separate competition event, like they are not a part of the sport and should not share the same amount of fame and attention.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Two days, two Gold Medals. :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Congratulations to Jason Smyth on defending his 100m crown.

The Final was a similar story to Jason's heat. He won it with a time of 10.64 seconds, which was not a record. Namibia's Johannes Nambala was again in second position, 0.14 seconds behind Jason.

Not sure if we have anybody competing today. But, Michael McKillop will be running tomorrow in the 1500m race. And Bethany Firth will be swimming in her second comeptition tomorrow, the 200m Freestyle race.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST!!! :cheer:

I watched Paralympics on TV a bit. I think Olympics games should be extended to 3.5 weeks and include Paralympics. So we will have just one Games and Olympians and Paralympians competing along side of each other, just in different events. I think organization-wise it would be more hassle, but much cheaper in total. Just imho. Besides it would be a great example of diversity and all-inclusivity. Why athletes with disabilities should have a separate competition event, like they are not a part of the sport and should not share the same amount of fame and attention.

The thing is, the Olympics and Paralympics started out as being completely separate entities. And that was the case for many years. So, the current arrangement of holding them in the same facilities is already less hassle than it used to be.

For me it is important to keep the events distinct. If they were held at the same time, there is a high probability that the disabled events would be completely ignored and get little or no coverage in the media. Which is not a good thing.

Also, there is the logistics. You are going to have to build a massive Olympic village if you are going to house the teams from both events at the same time. Indeed, I think that is why there is a gap of a few weeks between the 2 sets of Games - to give time to get one set of teams out, get the place cleaned up, and get the next set of teams in.

So, good idea in theory, but I don't think it would work in practice.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Four days, four Gold Medals. :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Starting with swimming, and Bethany Firth won her second Gold medal of Rio 2016 in the Women's 200m Freestyle S14 race yesterday.

Before yesterday, the Paralympic Record was 2:12.63, set by England's Jessica-Jane Applegate at London 2012. The World Record was 2:02.09, set by Bethany in Glasgow in June.

Bethany broke the Paralympic Record when she won heat 2 with a time of 2:05.96, which was 8.67 seconds quicker than Holland's Marlou van der Kulk in second. In the final, Bethany broke the Paralympic Record again when she won with a time of 2:03.30, which was 3.62 seconds quicker than England's heat 1 winner Jessica-Jane Applegate in second.

Meanwhile in running, Michael McKillop successfully defended his 1500m T37 crown.

Before yesterday, the Paralympic Record was 4:08.11 while the World Record was 3:59.54. Both were already held by Michael, set at separate events held in London in 2012.

Michael won with a time of 4:12.11, which was 4.61 seconds quicker than Canada's Liam Stanley in second. It was not a record time.

:cheer: WELL DONE BETHANY AND MICHAEL!!! :cheer:

Michael McKillop and Jason Smyth were entered into 2 races at London 2012, and they each won 2 Gold Medals. However, because of schedule changes for Rio, Michael and Jason each had one of their races dropped. So, that means that the Paralympics are now over for them.

Bethany Firth still has 2 more races. She will be swimming in the 100m Breaststroke on Wednesday, and the 200m Individual Medley on Saturday.

In Boccia, Claire Taggart from Larne in Co. Antrim was part of the Great Britain Mixed Team BC1-2. They finished second in Group B, beating the Netherlands 11-2 on Saturday morning, but losing 10-4 to Japan on Saturday evening. In the first Quarter Final, Great Britain lost 11-0 to Thailand. So, that was the end of the Paralympics for Claire.

Our youngest Paralympian, 16 year old Katie Morrow from Ballymena in Co. Antrim, is part of the Great Britain Women's Wheelchair Basketball team. Great Britain finished second in Group A, and now play China in the third Quarter Final tomorrow. Here is a summary of their scores so far:

Opponent
Score

Katie Morrow
Canada
43 – 36
Great Britain
Didn’t play
Argentina
20 – 79
Great Britain
Scored 16 points
Germany
45 – 50
Great Britain
Played but didn’t score.
Brazil
32 – 63
Great Britain
Scored 6 points

Three of our Paralympians are competing in the 7-a-side Football competition.

David Leavy from Downpatrick in Co. Down is playing for Great Britain, while Cormac Birt from Toomebridge in Co. Antrim and Ryan Walker from Glenanne in Co. Armagh are playing for Ireland. The competition is currently at the Group stage, and both teams are in Group A. :eek:

After they played each other today (the match finished about 10 minutes ago), Great Britain are lying 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] in the Group, while Ireland are 4[SUP]th[/SUP] in the Group.

Opponent
Score

David Leavy
Brazil
2 – 1
Great Britain
Didn’t play
Ukraine
2 – 1
Great Britain
Didn’t play
Ireland
1 – 5
Great Britain
Didn’t play

Opponent
Score

Cormac Birt
Ryan Walker
Ukraine
6 – 0
Ireland
Played last 23 minutes, but didn’t score
Didn’t play
Brazil
7 – 1
Ireland
Played first 46 minutes, but didn’t score
Didn’t play
Great Britain
5 – 1
Ireland
Played first 42 minutes, but didn’t score
Didn’t play

There is still one more Group A match left to be played. But, as it is between the Top 2 teams in the Group, it is safe to say that both Great Britain and Ireland are out of the running for medals.

Finally, in shooting, Phil Eaglesham from Dungannon in Co. Tyrone (10 miles from my hometown) will be taking part in the R5 - Mixed 10m Air Rifle Prone SH2 for Ireland tomorrow.

So, that just leaves him, Katie Morrow and Bethany Firth.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST PHIL, KATIE AND BETHANY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
all I want to say about Paralympics is I love Belarus!:agree::clap::hap10:

& congrats to all participating! respect, love & bow to them!
1 of my colleagues was at the Sochi Paraliympics & it was a great experience

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Natalia Partyka has won gold in ping pong 4th time in a row! :hap10: Amazing!

If someone had any doubts that disabled athletes are as good as the healthy ones: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...olympic-gold-medal-winning-time-a7239821.html Yes, they can!

Haven't been on this part of the forum for a few days (concentrating on the Cup of Mordovia), but I did see that story linked to on Facebook. What a great achievement! :bow: :clap: :points:

Unfortunately, the reason I came in here now was because of another story that I just saw linked to on Facebook:

Iranian Para-cyclist dies following crash

Bahman Golbarnezhad crashed on a mountainous section of the road race, and then suffered cardiac arrest on the way to hospital.

Golbarnezhad is the first death in competition at a summer Olympics or Paralympics since Danish cyclist Knud Enemark Jensen in the 100km team time trial at the 1960 Rome Olympics.

There will be a minute's silence during tonight's Closing Ceremony.

My thoughts go out to Bahman's family, friends, and the whole Iranian team.

CaroLiza_fan