2016 JGP Yokohama Ladies FS | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Yokohama Ladies FS

Meoima

Match Penalty
That would be really a pity. Sofia gave two beautiful clean skates, and now won't get a second assignment just because of the judging politics? IMO, even with this 4th place Sofia has more chances to get into the final than Alisa... I could easily imagine Sofia get 2nd place in the next competition, while for Alisa it would be extremely hard with her URs. 2nd and 4th especially with high scores have priority over 3rd and 3rd.
Unless they send Lozko to Russian GP and ignore her URs....:slink:
Lozko is beautiful but she has no chance. They should send Sofia, at least her jumps are better, she is faster too.

Layback11

Record Breaker
So, after this, Kaori's definitely into the final. Marin has a good chance-just needs a medal. Alina Z. and Anastasia G. won their respective first events, so they're probably in, too. Alisa is pretty much out. So, it looks like it could be something like:

Kaori/Anastasia/Alina/Marin/Rika/Polina

If Polina is recovered. We still have yet to see Elizaveta compete.

This just got interesting. :popcorn:

artsciboy

On the Ice
That would be really a pity. Sofia gave two beautiful clean skates, and now won't get a second assignment just because of the judging politics? IMO, even with this 4th place Sofia has more chances to get into the final than Alisa... I could easily imagine Sofia get 2nd place in the next competition, while for Alisa it would be extremely hard with her URs. 2nd and 4th especially with high scores have priority over 3rd and 3rd.
Unless they send Lozko to Russian GP and ignore her URs....:slink:

Why do you keep saying Sofia was clean? She wasn't. That second 3lutz she did was heavily two-footed (not to mention she was lucky not to have gotten an UR call on it). And her 3flip-2toe should have received negative GOEs; she stepped out of the 2toe for sure (she was lucky that only one judge gave her -GOEs). Sofia was marked just as generously as the others.

ks777

Record Breaker
marin's jumps are actually very good. She goes into all of her jumps with very good speed and the flow coming out of her jumps are excellent, reminded me of Arakawa's. Also she doesn't telegraph her jumps at all, it's very difficult to pull off jumps like Marin did.

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
Not sure if this was mentioned before, but why did Marin only receive a Level 2 for the steps? I thought they were fine...

And it appears that Ye Lim was the only one who received a level 4. She does have great deep edges. I just hope she and her team work on her facial expressions a bit. She has more than enough time considering she was one of the youngest in the competition.

andyjo24

Medalist
I agree the scoring is too much, they don't slow doen at all. However regarding the pressure, she is just a kid, just 15 years old. She handled it well I don't think people should expect more from that age.

Yes, she is a kid, and it's okay to be emotional. But she was VERY emotional throughout the whole competition. Did you see her hugging her coach in fear?

I really hope she toughens up a bit because the competition will only get tougher. I want her to do well and be consistent.

bosskil

Match Penalty
Congratulations Marin! I knew she can do it, such a big difference and she owned it! :clap:
That was sensational free skate, fully deserving junior world record.
Also loved the 2A at the podium ceremony! :laugh2:
Then she tripped and arena bursted into laughter, she has such warm, funny personality and tremendous star power at the same time - total package on and off the ice. :love:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
marin's jumps are actually very good. She goes into all of her jumps with very good speed and the flow coming out of her jumps are excellent, reminded me of Arakawa's. Also she doesn't telegraph her jumps at all, it's very difficult to pull off jumps like Marin did.

I was going to say the same. Her skating is seamless like Arakawa. Should be higher in PCS for me. We all know choreography means nothing now, so a little boring program wouldn't bring her down. It's all about the skating skills and Marin has it.

The salty haters must have just gotten back from the dead sea. Marin is amazing, deal.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Lozko is beautiful but she has no chance. They should send Sofia, at least her jumps are better, she is faster too.
yeah my thoughts as well
lets see what the Fed's gonna do

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I'm surprised Kaori didn't get higher score actually. Her jumps are HUGE with very good flow out. Her 2A-3T has a Midori feel to it. It was that big. I think most of her jumps should be at least +2 and that 2A-3T should be +3.

Biellmann

Match Penalty
Honda is such a lovely and all-around skater, but yeah, I agree that the scoring kind of went out of control.

I know she's pretty, but I wish people would please treat her equally like other ladies and not give her a beauty bonus all the time.

That said, it must be pretty difficult to be in her position. You can tell from her expressions in the Kiss and Cry the pressure she's in even though it's only a junior competition. Can you imagine what it would be like for her if it were the Olympics or Worlds? I hope she finds a way to cope with it and get less emotional. Mental strength is absolutely key in this sport. One of the main reasons why Yu-na Kim is Yu-na Kim, for example.

The problem is not the competition. The problem is, she was competing at home, Figure skating is a big thing in Japan, the expectations are huge and if she, as the reigning jr world champion, wouldn't be on the podium, this would be a disaster.
And since when does Yuna Kim have mental strength? :eek:

Last edited:

Biellmann

Match Penalty
Honda gets WR by popping a jump? Everything +2 +3 GOE? Skating skills 7.46 with lvl 2 steps?

Yeah OK.......

Cheering against her from now on.

This is so sad. When someone blames a child for something she isn't to blame for :disapp:

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
To even think Yuna doesnt have mental strength, weird. She is not only an Olympic champion, but an athlete (and country star) who came back to the Olympics with the weight of her country once again on her shoulders and the expectation of winning a second Gold medal. She put on a clinic and arguably, s/h taken home a second gold. If that is not mental strength I am not sure what is.

Also, Yokohama arena sold more than 900 tickets, had several dozen paparazzi inside and outside of the rink. Most JGP events have less than 100 people in the whole arena. How some of these girls, especially the 1st timers, did what they did was impressive. Heck, Novice and Junior Nationals last year in St. Paul had no where near 900 spectators and maybe half a dozen paparazzi. A big challenge to many skaters no one has mentioned before. The Japanese, Russian and Korean skaters, on the other hand, are used to these crowds and attention, most other country's competitors are not. Sure Marin had pressure being at home, but she is used to this pressure and attention. She did not crack and her display of confidence and expressing of her lovable personality came thru at the Medal ceremony. Wonderful skater with a bright future.

Biellmann

Match Penalty
To even think Yuna doesnt have mental strength, weird. She is not only an Olympic champion, but an athlete (and country star) who came back to the Olympics with the weight of her country once again on her shoulders and the expectation of winning a second Gold medal. She put on a clinic and arguably, s/h taken home a second gold. If that is not mental strength I am not sure what is.

Also, Yokohama arena sold more than 900 tickets, had several dozen paparazzi inside and outside of the rink. Most JGP events have less than 100 people in the whole arena. How some of these girls, especially the 1st timers, did what they did was impressive. Heck, Novice and Junior Nationals last year in St. Paul had no where near 900 spectators and maybe half a dozen paparazzi. A big challenge to many skaters no one has mentioned before. The Japanese, Russian and Korean skaters, on the other hand, are used to these crowds and attention, most other country's competitors are not. Sure Marin had pressure being at home, but she is used to this pressure and attention. She did not crack and her display of confidence and expressing of her lovable personality came thru at the Medal ceremony. Wonderful skater with a bright future.

You're talking about two or three competitions. And everything else? Everyone can have a lucky day :confused2:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
You're talking about two or three competitions. And everything else? Everyone can have a lucky day :confused2:

And those lucky days just happened to be the biggest competitions of her career.:biggrin: No wonder people is so jealous. :laugh:

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
And, unfortunately, everyone can have a bad day. I just have not seen that in the years I followed Yuna. I do believe the ultimate goal for most athletes (gymnasts, skaters, etc) is to make it to the Olympics, represent their country and hopefully make the podium. Yuna did that, not once, but twice! And she did it the second time after taking an extended break from competition. So glad she was able to facilitate bringing the Winter Olympics to Korea in 2018. A class act all around! The big question is who will represent the USA.